Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #250 Dec 23, 2011 2:26 PM
Comfortness/Support:  We got the Revolution in king size about 3 weeks ago.  I was looking at the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme because it's the only soft one out off all the memory foam mattress I'd tried, then found Revolution that's comparable.  Originally we had a very firm spring mattress with a 3" memory foam top.  My low back was fine but my upper back (shoulder blades and arms) was getting really bad pressure point pain, I also felt the flesh on my upper back was like dead or "rotten" sleeping on it.  Ever since I got the Revolution, my upper back is doing great!  I sleep on my side but always find myself sleeping on my back when I wake up in the morning.  But, my lower back now wakes up sore since day 1 I have this mattress.  The soreness I feel is not the muscle sore, but it's like my hip bone is dislocated a little.  But after a while it's gone.

I asked my husband to look at my spine if it's a straight line lying on my side.  He said my spine looks like coming up at the hip area.  (I am going to tape a line along my spine on my back then lie on it to have a clearer view.)  But when I lie on my back, my butt feels like sinking in.  FYI I weigh 114 lbs.

It is weird to say, but I actually sleep nicely through the night.  I do still wake up in the middle of the night due to my hubby's snoring, and my dog switching his spot or even sleeping on my head, but I fall back asleep right away without any problem.  So my only trouble right now is wake up with a sore lower back.

I thought perhpas my back was in a bad position long enough that it actually grew into the bad shape, so now for it to be corrected it is only natural to feel uncomfortable since it's shaping against it.  I have another month before the returning period ends.  Will give it a little more time to see.

Hotness:  I do feel the heat where it's against my skin.  It's like if you put a warm cup of water against your arm, you feel the warmth on that spot of your arm, but not your whole body.  I do feel hot from time to time, but that could be because of my new comforter.  Will get back on that.

Odor:  There's slight odor if I sniffed it close enough when I first got it, but it's the kind of odor that you would get on all new thing.  I think the pillows on my new bedding set smell more than the mattress does.

Foundation:  We have the adjustable one.  It feels very sturdy.  Since it's a king size, the foundation comes in 2 Twin XL.  We didn't have the split King so the remote is controlling both foundations.  If you use the remote on one side and it's too far from the other side, one foundation will go up/down, while the other doesn't move.  So I guess just have to make sure to use the remote in the middle of the bed so both motor will sense it and operate at the same time.

No comment from my hubby because he could sleep through earth quake.  Once he's asleep, he wouldn't even know if you wrap him up and throw him out on the street.

This message was modified Dec 23, 2011 by Ditch13
Reply #251 Dec 23, 2011 2:38 PM
trautpa wrote:

I just wanted everyone to know that I have given up on my icomfort Insight.  I can say that at first I was willing to give it a chance, but after using it for more then 2 weeks I called the store and scheduled a return.  I am not exacly sure what it is about the serta icomfort that is so uncomfortable but it just is not comfortable.  I do have a minor lower back problem and this matress has made it much much worse. 

I decided to go with the Vera Wang Natural Poise, I got for $1,200 saving me about $1,400.  We decided to go with a standard box spring and are returning the serta adjustable base.

Lucky that you can return the adjustable base.  I went to Sleepy, Sleep Number, and Macy's, and they all said the adjustable base cannot be returned because it's electronic...  =(

Reply #252 Dec 24, 2011 4:14 PM
The back pain is really bothering me this morning, and I keep having that feeling of sagging on my lower back.  So I tried to sleep on my hubby's side and felt it's more firm and supportive... I started checking the whole mattress by pressing it and lying on different spots, and noticed that the top and the bottom are firmer with that resistancy of a memory foam feel, while the middle part feels like a sponge, soft and not supportive.  So I called my salesman and he gave me the number of Macy's furniture customer service for getting a technician to inspect the bed.  Turned out that how surprisingly my salesman, though he was very nice, doesn't know ANYTHING about the mattress, about the deals, and the warrant at all!

So the CSR told me that for the particular set I got, (I would think it may be applying to all iComfort, not just the Revolution), they have a "preference return", any day during the 30-127 days from the day of delivery.  Just like the other people said in this forum, they want you to at least have the bed for 30 days before you decide on returning it.  After the 30 days if I don't want it, I pay NOTHING AT ALL, no restocking fee, no re-delivering fee, I can also return the adjustable foundation as well.  Plue I don't need to have an inspector over.

I asked him what if I want to keep the foundation and have another brand of mattress like Tempurpedic.  He told me that I will void the warranty of the foundation if I get a mattress in another brand!  But I'm ok if I get anything from Serta (in this case Serta Beauty Rest because that's the only other one that would work with the adjustable foundation.)  Originally when I went to Macy's, I was planning to get the iComfort adjustable foundation with the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme mattress, it was $500 cheaper than getting from Sleepys!  Then only to find out that the salesman gave me the wrong price on the foundation after I cancelled my deal from Sleepys, and it turned out to be $1k more!!!  So I picked the Revolution mattress.  Imagine if I got the Tempurpedic and something's wrong with the foundation, and they come to me and say I voided the warranty by having a mattress in different brand... I think I would feel like straggling that salesman!

So I'll give couple more weeks to try on with my bed.  Although the CSR told me perhaps I can rotate the mattress since I'm doing ok with my hubby's side, but I feel that it doesn't solve the problem if it's the mattress that has something's wrong!  I'll probably return the whole set, and go back to Sleepys and get the Tempuredic Cloud Supreme with the wired adjustable foundation (which comes out to be the same price as my Resolution set.)  Having wireless and massage function is nice, but it's a lot more expensive.  Besides, I live in an apartment, and always feel bad to turn on the massage which might annoy my neighbour downstairs.

Reply #253 Dec 25, 2011 2:09 AM
Samsclub must really trying to move these.  Serta probably controls how low they can sell them, but Sams is throwing in free white glove, cappuccino machines, $200 gift cards, & pillows as incentive.
Reply #254 Jan 6, 2012 12:48 PM
I have purchased icomfort Insight mattress as i have lower back pain. As salesperson suggested I have marched on the bed 4 5 times to make it loosen up, after this the bed became smooth, but unevenly, it was soft in the corners and firm in the middle. In addition to this I have developed pain in the upper back, whereas my lower back pain was ok as it is providing enough support. The main reason for upper back is bacause of the bad design in the lower base foam which is flat and hard like hard wood. I am kind of feeling like sleeping on the floor.

I would recommend serta should change their base foam with more innovative design something like temperpedic whi provides some support after we use all the gel foam other wise wherever we put more weight the gel will be suppressed and feels solid.

For Now, because of this bad experience, I thought not upgrading to Revolution instead bought temperpedic. I had it for 15 days which made me lost my sleep, i was so tired that kept seeing mirages due to lack of sleep and restlessnes.I still have to bear the bed for another 15 days so I bought a matress topper from samsclub which is helping a little regarding the hardness.

I bought it in Roomstogo, they charged me shipping and restocking total 149$, so beaware if you want to try any bed, Mattress Firm has very good policy of return in case if you don't like no restocking only shipping.

Reply #255 Jan 10, 2012 4:40 PM
The heat retention rates of iComfort and Tempurpedic are actually quite close. While on paper the iComfort mattresses claim to retain less heat, once you have sheets, a mattress protector, and are sleeping under a blanket, you will find that there is almost no difference between the two brands. However, if you are sold on memory foam, I would go with the Tempurpedic just because the technology has been around forever and Tempurpedic is very good at what they do. iComfort is a new, albeit popular, brand and the jury is out on whether or not these mattresses are going to last the test of time.
Reply #256 Jan 15, 2012 8:13 AM
My wife and I purchased the iComfort Revolution and have slept on it for about two months now.  And, we both loved the comfort and soft/firmness!  I have a small back problem and often don't sleep throughout the night.  Now, we both sleep soundly throughout the night.  We also heard that the fixed frame was somewhat flimsy, so we went ahead and bought the adjustable base too.  Wow, this base also has massager built in!   Now, we can prop up our heads and feet in comfort while watching TV or reading a magazine.  The base is pricey, but we felt it was worth the investment........
This message was modified Feb 28, 2012 by LindaNoa
Reply #257 Jan 18, 2012 2:57 PM
MattressmanX wrote:

The heat retention rates of iComfort and Tempurpedic are actually quite close. While on paper the iComfort mattresses claim to retain less heat, once you have sheets, a mattress protector, and are sleeping under a blanket, you will find that there is almost no difference between the two brands. However, if you are sold on memory foam, I would go with the Tempurpedic just because the technology has been around forever and Tempurpedic is very good at what they do. iComfort is a new, albeit popular, brand and the jury is out on whether or not these mattresses are going to last the test of time.

This is absolutely correct. I would like to add that any salesman that tries to tell you they have a cool memory foam mattress does not understand the principal functionality of memory foam.

Memory foam is designed to soften and conform to your body based on weight and temprature. Memory foam needs to use your body heat to soften up and conform to you. If it is not allowed to heat up then it will not function as designed and you might as well buy a non memory foam mattress.

Memory foam is also an open cell structure, which allows the foam to breathe much better than standard poly foam mattresses. Filling memory with gels or other non breatheable materials will reduce how well the mattress breathes. If the foam can not breathe is will hold more mositure causing the mattress to break down and wear out sooner.

Another selling point is 20 year warranty. It is actually a 10 year non prorated warranty (Same as most innerspring mattress) and 10 years prorated. So if a manufacturing defect appears in 15 years it will cost you 50% of the value of the mattress to have it repaired or replaced under warranty. Warranty's have nothing to do with the life of the product and do not cover normal wear and tear.

Reply #258 Jan 19, 2012 3:10 PM
This is my first post on this board.  In researching then trying various beds in different stores I decided the Icomfort Insight felt right for me.  On my old bed my lower back was getting more and more painful so a change was in order.  I came home and found this message board and read every post.  All the answers served to tell me there is no one "real" answer to the question "will I like this bed."  I think such an answer is a very personal and individual response but, that having been said, the various posts here did give me a lot of helpful advice on what to be on the lookout for.

I bought an Insight and it was delivered today.  It was brick-hard when it came in but it is cold outside and with the bed traveling in a cold truck all day, the mattress reflected that.  As it has warmed to the inside temps, it has begun to soften somewhat. 

One thing I found really interesting having read several posts addressing the "smell" issue:  there was practically no scent to this bed.  What little odor there was wasn't unpleasant and both my dogs have been in an out of the room with me and haven't really been bothered one way or the other by the new arrival. 

The Warranty brochure that came with the bed didn't say anything about pros or cons of an electric blanket and since I like my electric I called Customer Service to ask about it.  The answer was rather complex but boiled down to this:  the heat from the blanket will soften the memory foam the same as your body's shape will soften it.  If you are happy with that, fine, use the blanket.  If you don't want the softened feel, don't use it.  My decision is to not use it and see how it goes.  If I am cold on the Insight, I will try the blanket. 

After I have slept on the bed for a week or so I will report my impressions be they good or bad.  I will try to be honest and state truthfully now that I have no vested interests that will sway my opinion one way or the other.  I felt that most of the posts before mine were honest with the simple intent of wishing to be helpful.  I assure anyone reading this that my intentions are that and nothing else and I hope my subsequent posts reflect that.

See you in a week.

Reply #259 Jan 22, 2012 8:17 PM
I bought my Serta IComfort mattress on 1/7/12 and it was delivered on 1/11/12. I had my heart set on a Stearns and Foster (lower end) model but once at Macy's I loved the feel of the IComfort. I had no plans what so ever of purchasing a memory foam or gel foam mattress and actually knew very little about them. I purchased the Insight queen and box spring. Upon being delivered the mattress was literally hard as concrete. I was horrified b/c it felt nothing like it did in the store showroom. After about four days my back and legs were aching. I even felt sciatica pain, which I hadn't felt in years. I had back surgery at age 30 (42 now) and never once had a problem since the surgery.

I called Macy's customer service on 1/15/12 and informed them of the firmness of my mattress and the discomfort I was experiencing. The CSR encouraged me to keep the mattress for at least one month if I could tolerate the pain. She mentioned I had 120 days to return the bed so keeping it longer would be even better in order to give the mattress extra time to "break in". The next two days I thought I was going to go crazy. I was sleeping everywhere (couch, chairs, other people's beds!) except my bed as it was just too uncomfortable. I started walking on my bed two to three times a day and all of a sudden the mattress became comfortable. I'm rather petite, 5'7" and 120# and walking all over it, edge to edge seemed to make a huge difference. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing to do; all I knew though was that I had to do something to be able to sleep on this new mattress.

I've had the Insight now for 12 days and I will continue to keep it and let it break in. It is becoming more comfortable with time and I'm really loving this bed now. Especially with the IComfort pillows which are terrific for upper back and neck support. Regarding any smell, I have not had a problem at all. I did notice a slight smell to the pillows but not the mattress. I'm almost certain I will keep this mattress and not return it. But I have a few more months to make that decision so will keep you posted on my progress. I hope this has been helpful for IComfort shoppers out there.

Recent Posts