Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #244 Dec 10, 2011 3:22 PM
I'm willing to bet Serta has done no testing of the icomfort foam.  They are like any major 'S' brand.  They will buy it from a foam manufacturer that will give them the best price.  A manufacturer like Carpenter.  In fact, you can buy the same gel memory foam topper from Costco.  I believe Sleep inovations is the name.  Buy that 3" topper and a poly base and you have an icomfort for less than $500 (king size).  You can replace that topper when it compresses in 2 years.  That seams like the way to go.  Serta sells marketing, not beds.  They don't manufacture anything.  They assemble beds.  These beds are new to the market and if you bought one, your the guinea pig.  Good luck, you bought a story.  Give me a review of these beds in 2 years.  By then they will have the next generation of the greatest bed ever with a different story to them.
Reply #245 Dec 10, 2011 4:13 PM
trautpa wrote:

Buridiebo,

Thanks for the information.  I having been sleeping on a new iComfort Insight for the past week or so and I don't think I am happy with it considering the price we paid.  I was wondering if you could give your opinion on the complaint that the Tempurpedic smells really bad.  The sales person said that when they got the new Tempurpedic's in recently it smelled up the store for a week or so.  That and the price is why I got the IComfort, but I am now thinking of returning the iComfort as I was promised a full refund if I am not satisfied.

I did notice that the Tempurpedics in the store have a stronger smell.  Does that eventually go away?

I just wanted everyone to know that I have given up on my icomfort Insight.  I can say that at first I was willing to give it a chance, but after using it for more then 2 weeks I called the store and scheduled a return.  I am not exacly sure what it is about the serta icomfort that is so uncomfortable but it just is not comfortable.  I do have a minor lower back problem and this matress has made it much much worse. 

I decided to go with the Vera Wang Natural Poise, I got for $1,200 saving me about $1,400.  We decided to go with a standard box spring and are returning the serta adjustable base.

Reply #246 Dec 12, 2011 4:25 PM
chi123 wrote:

Hi, Bronson:

Let me just say that I am NOT a salesperson.  I, too, have been looking to others for advice on a new mattress and/or pillow for a while.

Two years ago, we broke down and bought a Tempurpedic.  In the store, it was nice and soft.  We didn't buy the top of the line, but the way it appeared in the store, it seemed we did not need to.

When it arrived, it really gave off a smell.  That smells lasted for days! Also, my husband and I aren't heavy people (110 and 150).  We would lie on the mattress and it wouldn't give at all.  Very weird and hard to explain.  After living with it for a couple of weeks, we decided to return it within the time period allowed.  We bought it at a furniture store, so our only other choices were even MORE expensive Tempurpedic mattresses or your standard coil mattresses.  We thought we needed something firm so we ended up with a pretty firm Laura Ashley mattress.  After a while, we bought a gel memory topper and decided to "make do," even though one or both of us would wake up each morning with lower and/or upper back pain.

We thought about the Sleep Comfort bed, but with the mixed reviews I kept reading on quality, I was reluctant to even try one because or our experience with the Tempurpedic (which also gets mixed reviews, but we had decided to take a chance).

One day, I had enough, so we went to "look" at mattresses at a mattress store and tried the iComfort.  We chose one that was not the best seller, but the one a step above that (in price and firmness).  We tried an even more firm one, too, but that seemed like the bed we already had, so we went with the semi-firm one.  We also broke down and got the adjustable base.  This was a huge splurge, I know, but we went with the 3-year, no interest deal, which allows us to pay it over time and makes the cost a little more palatable.

Mind you, I should add that this was also at a point where I was even trying new pillows on our existing bed, hoping that maybe I could get away with having to spend less because it was the pillow's "fault,"

We've had the bed for 3 nights, now.  I think we got the iComfort "Prodigy."  The mattress had very minimal odor, which was something we had been worried about.  The salesperson said we could place a cut apple on a plate on the bed (obviously while we weren't in it) to help absorb odor, but honestly, we didn't need to.  The first night was a little getting used to, but even after that 1st night, we both woke up with NO back pain.  It's the perfect firmness for my hip support.

One thing I need to work on, still, however, is my pillow. We got them to give us the iComfort pillow for free, and I also ordered a Talay latex one. So, while the bed supports our hips and back perfectly, I still have an issue with my shoulder.  So, it's like I need a little LESS firmness for my hips, and a little something else for my shoulder, as my arms and shoulders get a little numb while sleeping (so, maybe its too hard on the shoulder area??).  I'm trying my Side Sleeper Pro pillow with the bed tonight to see if that works.

But, for now, it is SO worth it to not hobble around like an 90-year-old when I get out of bed in the morning.

And, we absolutely LOVE the adjustable feature. So much more comfortable to sit up in bed!

I'll try and post how things are after a couple of weeks.

After nearly 2 months on our iComfort Prodigy, we are at mixed reviews.  We added our gel memory foam topper to the mattress, and that seemed to help my shoulder issues, but it was a little soft for my back.  So, we were at a conundrum.  Seems like I couldn't get my both my back and shoulder happy.

I tried cutting out a piece of the memory foam to put just under our shoulder area, but that didn't work.  So, we put the whole thing back on the bed (the cut piece slipped right in to the cover, at our feet, to become part of the whole pad again).

Let me add that we did try one night again without the pad, and it wasn't bad.  I think what we'll do is try that again and see.  What happens over time is that the mattress gets softer, so while the gel foam memory topped may have helped make the bed nice at first, perhaps the mattress softened somewhat now so that it is not needed.  I'll post again.

Reply #247 Dec 12, 2011 7:15 PM
Here is a bit of first hand knowledge advise.  If you like the Florida NO DO BUY this mattress from Rooms To Go.  I first purchased a pillowtop Serta ($1699). After 4 weeks it started to bow.  A tech came out and deemed it defective.  I returned to the showroom and chose the the iComfort.  The mattress was so comfortable that I purchased it on the spot ($2000).  When the mattress arrived my husband signed for it. I came home and sat on the bed and it was like sitting on CONCRETE!  It was so bad that my husband and I were forced to sleep on our couches.  I called the store and was told that perhaps it was COLD and after it warmed up it would soften up.  When it did not I was told to JUMP ON THE BED for 2 weeks and it would be soft thereafter.  I informed the manager that I didn't want to do that and wanted to return it.  I was told that as long as the tag correctly identified the mattress it was the mattress I chose.  I asked why the mattress was so much different than the one that I tested in the showroom.  The manager told me that it was because so many people lie on the bed.  I asked my I wasn't informed this before I bought the bed and was told the salesman is not obligated to tell me this.  Now I am stuff with a $2000 brick.  Stay away from that mattress.  It has yet to soften and gives us both backaches. 
Reply #248 Dec 12, 2011 10:25 PM
We are getting ready to move in our new house and are going to purchase a new bed and mattress.  We have looked and tried the Sleep Number beds and the I Comfort (both adjustables).  After reading all the posts on the beds... I'm scared now to put that much money in one of these...... 
Reply #249 Dec 15, 2011 2:42 PM
I bought a Serta icomfort Revolution at the end of September and loved it.  After a few weeks, I noticed that it seemed to be getting soft on the side I slept on.  After a couple of more weeks, it actually became very uncomfortable.  I called the store I bought it from and they just sent an inspector over to look at it.  As soon as he sat on it, he immediately said it was defective.  Now, instead of taking another change on Serta again, I think I am going back to Tempurpedic.  We had one for over twenty years and never had a problem with it.  The only reason we got rid of it was that my wife felt it was time for a new mattress.
Reply #250 Dec 23, 2011 2:26 PM
Comfortness/Support:  We got the Revolution in king size about 3 weeks ago.  I was looking at the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme because it's the only soft one out off all the memory foam mattress I'd tried, then found Revolution that's comparable.  Originally we had a very firm spring mattress with a 3" memory foam top.  My low back was fine but my upper back (shoulder blades and arms) was getting really bad pressure point pain, I also felt the flesh on my upper back was like dead or "rotten" sleeping on it.  Ever since I got the Revolution, my upper back is doing great!  I sleep on my side but always find myself sleeping on my back when I wake up in the morning.  But, my lower back now wakes up sore since day 1 I have this mattress.  The soreness I feel is not the muscle sore, but it's like my hip bone is dislocated a little.  But after a while it's gone.

I asked my husband to look at my spine if it's a straight line lying on my side.  He said my spine looks like coming up at the hip area.  (I am going to tape a line along my spine on my back then lie on it to have a clearer view.)  But when I lie on my back, my butt feels like sinking in.  FYI I weigh 114 lbs.

It is weird to say, but I actually sleep nicely through the night.  I do still wake up in the middle of the night due to my hubby's snoring, and my dog switching his spot or even sleeping on my head, but I fall back asleep right away without any problem.  So my only trouble right now is wake up with a sore lower back.

I thought perhpas my back was in a bad position long enough that it actually grew into the bad shape, so now for it to be corrected it is only natural to feel uncomfortable since it's shaping against it.  I have another month before the returning period ends.  Will give it a little more time to see.

Hotness:  I do feel the heat where it's against my skin.  It's like if you put a warm cup of water against your arm, you feel the warmth on that spot of your arm, but not your whole body.  I do feel hot from time to time, but that could be because of my new comforter.  Will get back on that.

Odor:  There's slight odor if I sniffed it close enough when I first got it, but it's the kind of odor that you would get on all new thing.  I think the pillows on my new bedding set smell more than the mattress does.

Foundation:  We have the adjustable one.  It feels very sturdy.  Since it's a king size, the foundation comes in 2 Twin XL.  We didn't have the split King so the remote is controlling both foundations.  If you use the remote on one side and it's too far from the other side, one foundation will go up/down, while the other doesn't move.  So I guess just have to make sure to use the remote in the middle of the bed so both motor will sense it and operate at the same time.

No comment from my hubby because he could sleep through earth quake.  Once he's asleep, he wouldn't even know if you wrap him up and throw him out on the street.

This message was modified Dec 23, 2011 by Ditch13
Reply #251 Dec 23, 2011 2:38 PM
trautpa wrote:

I just wanted everyone to know that I have given up on my icomfort Insight.  I can say that at first I was willing to give it a chance, but after using it for more then 2 weeks I called the store and scheduled a return.  I am not exacly sure what it is about the serta icomfort that is so uncomfortable but it just is not comfortable.  I do have a minor lower back problem and this matress has made it much much worse. 

I decided to go with the Vera Wang Natural Poise, I got for $1,200 saving me about $1,400.  We decided to go with a standard box spring and are returning the serta adjustable base.

Lucky that you can return the adjustable base.  I went to Sleepy, Sleep Number, and Macy's, and they all said the adjustable base cannot be returned because it's electronic...  =(

Reply #252 Dec 24, 2011 4:14 PM
The back pain is really bothering me this morning, and I keep having that feeling of sagging on my lower back.  So I tried to sleep on my hubby's side and felt it's more firm and supportive... I started checking the whole mattress by pressing it and lying on different spots, and noticed that the top and the bottom are firmer with that resistancy of a memory foam feel, while the middle part feels like a sponge, soft and not supportive.  So I called my salesman and he gave me the number of Macy's furniture customer service for getting a technician to inspect the bed.  Turned out that how surprisingly my salesman, though he was very nice, doesn't know ANYTHING about the mattress, about the deals, and the warrant at all!

So the CSR told me that for the particular set I got, (I would think it may be applying to all iComfort, not just the Revolution), they have a "preference return", any day during the 30-127 days from the day of delivery.  Just like the other people said in this forum, they want you to at least have the bed for 30 days before you decide on returning it.  After the 30 days if I don't want it, I pay NOTHING AT ALL, no restocking fee, no re-delivering fee, I can also return the adjustable foundation as well.  Plue I don't need to have an inspector over.

I asked him what if I want to keep the foundation and have another brand of mattress like Tempurpedic.  He told me that I will void the warranty of the foundation if I get a mattress in another brand!  But I'm ok if I get anything from Serta (in this case Serta Beauty Rest because that's the only other one that would work with the adjustable foundation.)  Originally when I went to Macy's, I was planning to get the iComfort adjustable foundation with the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme mattress, it was $500 cheaper than getting from Sleepys!  Then only to find out that the salesman gave me the wrong price on the foundation after I cancelled my deal from Sleepys, and it turned out to be $1k more!!!  So I picked the Revolution mattress.  Imagine if I got the Tempurpedic and something's wrong with the foundation, and they come to me and say I voided the warranty by having a mattress in different brand... I think I would feel like straggling that salesman!

So I'll give couple more weeks to try on with my bed.  Although the CSR told me perhaps I can rotate the mattress since I'm doing ok with my hubby's side, but I feel that it doesn't solve the problem if it's the mattress that has something's wrong!  I'll probably return the whole set, and go back to Sleepys and get the Tempuredic Cloud Supreme with the wired adjustable foundation (which comes out to be the same price as my Resolution set.)  Having wireless and massage function is nice, but it's a lot more expensive.  Besides, I live in an apartment, and always feel bad to turn on the massage which might annoy my neighbour downstairs.

Reply #253 Dec 25, 2011 2:09 AM
Samsclub must really trying to move these.  Serta probably controls how low they can sell them, but Sams is throwing in free white glove, cappuccino machines, $200 gift cards, & pillows as incentive.

Recent Posts