Questions about taking the latex plunge.
Mar 1, 2009 4:51 PM
After stumbling upon this wonderful forum, I'm hoping maybe I can get some advice and suggestions. My bed is shot, and I'm leaning toward the latex option. As background: I'm 5'9", about 165 lbs, a side sleeper, have some neck soreness from a fairly recent lifting injury, and am an extremely light sleeper (especially problematic when someone else is in bed with me). I've always been on a firm mattress (queen the last few years), but I have really enjoyed the cushiness of beds at high-end hotels I've been at for work (Dreambeds and similar ones you find at four-star hotels).

Unfortunately, I live in the DC area and have had a tremendously difficult time finding places where I can try out latex. I finally did over the weekend, but the pieces were only 4 inches thick or so (the people didn't know too much about latex). Regardless, here are my impressions: I liked the medium firmness the best for surface feel. The soft was also sort of fun, but maybe a little too squishy (granted, it was four inches of soft). I was amazed at the total lack of motion transfer in the firm (couldn't feel someone beside me on a twin!).

Regardless of what I do on top, I think I definitely want the firm underneath for support. I was thinking about getting a 6-inch firm core from Foam by Mail (in a california king). Which leaves me trying to figure out the topper. So here are some questions on that and related issues:

1) To give myself different options, I was thinking of getting a 1-inch soft topper and a 1-inch medium topper from Foam by Mail. It would cost a little more than to do the 2-inch solid piece, but this way I could mix and match a little with the 6-inch firm core and see what I like best. Does that seem like a good plan?

2) Do the characteristics of a piece of latex foam change dramatically when it's on top of another piece. I.e., would a 1-inch soft topper on a firm core feel more like the 4-inch medium latex I tried out? What about a 2-inch soft topper on top of a firm, which seems to be what a number of people on these forums are going with?

3) Does anyone know any custom mattress places or places with latex mattresses in the DC or Baltimore area where I might be able to try out a number of options (or custom design a mattress)?

4) I've seen a lot of ideas for the base, which seem to run from $200-$500. What's the most cost-effective base that is going to give the mattress the support it needs?

5) Anyone have experience with the latex california kings -- specifically where they glue on the end piece to get the extra four inches?

I really appreciate any thoughts on these or any other issues I haven't thought about. Thanks everyone!
Re: Questions about taking the latex plunge.
Reply #4 Mar 19, 2009 7:00 PM
"3) Does anyone know any custom mattress places or places with latex mattresses in the DC or Baltimore area where I might be able to try out a number of options (or custom design a mattress)?"

We bought our Savvy Rest mattress from a dealer in Columbia, Maryland.  The owner/salesman was extremely helpful and spent several hours swapping out various layers until we found the desired combination.  This is not his main line of business so we didn't get the normal high pressure sales pitch.  At the very least, you can make an appointment to try out the latex.  Here's a link to his web site:

http://rhintek.com/mattress/mattress.php

This message was modified Mar 19, 2009 by warehouse

Recent Posts