Questions about taking the latex plunge.
Mar 1, 2009 4:51 PM
After stumbling upon this wonderful forum, I'm hoping maybe I can get some advice and suggestions. My bed is shot, and I'm leaning toward the latex option. As background: I'm 5'9", about 165 lbs, a side sleeper, have some neck soreness from a fairly recent lifting injury, and am an extremely light sleeper (especially problematic when someone else is in bed with me). I've always been on a firm mattress (queen the last few years), but I have really enjoyed the cushiness of beds at high-end hotels I've been at for work (Dreambeds and similar ones you find at four-star hotels).

Unfortunately, I live in the DC area and have had a tremendously difficult time finding places where I can try out latex. I finally did over the weekend, but the pieces were only 4 inches thick or so (the people didn't know too much about latex). Regardless, here are my impressions: I liked the medium firmness the best for surface feel. The soft was also sort of fun, but maybe a little too squishy (granted, it was four inches of soft). I was amazed at the total lack of motion transfer in the firm (couldn't feel someone beside me on a twin!).

Regardless of what I do on top, I think I definitely want the firm underneath for support. I was thinking about getting a 6-inch firm core from Foam by Mail (in a california king). Which leaves me trying to figure out the topper. So here are some questions on that and related issues:

1) To give myself different options, I was thinking of getting a 1-inch soft topper and a 1-inch medium topper from Foam by Mail. It would cost a little more than to do the 2-inch solid piece, but this way I could mix and match a little with the 6-inch firm core and see what I like best. Does that seem like a good plan?

2) Do the characteristics of a piece of latex foam change dramatically when it's on top of another piece. I.e., would a 1-inch soft topper on a firm core feel more like the 4-inch medium latex I tried out? What about a 2-inch soft topper on top of a firm, which seems to be what a number of people on these forums are going with?

3) Does anyone know any custom mattress places or places with latex mattresses in the DC or Baltimore area where I might be able to try out a number of options (or custom design a mattress)?

4) I've seen a lot of ideas for the base, which seem to run from $200-$500. What's the most cost-effective base that is going to give the mattress the support it needs?

5) Anyone have experience with the latex california kings -- specifically where they glue on the end piece to get the extra four inches?

I really appreciate any thoughts on these or any other issues I haven't thought about. Thanks everyone!

Recent Posts