Price expectation for a Twin 100% Natural Latex mattress?
Dec 9, 2011 7:13 AM
I've been researching and I'm not able get a general idea of a 100% natural latex mattress would cost. Price varies too much because some brands don't list their specifications. Some have foam bases, or have a synthetic blend, but they either don't specify or use different terminalogy so I don't know what's in them to compare apples-to-apples..

I'm looking specifically for an all natual Talalay or layered Talalay/Dunlop mattress (twin). PLease let me know what price range to expect in a store and what would be a decent price.

Re: Price expectation for a Twin 100% Natural Latex mattress?
Reply #7 Dec 21, 2011 8:17 PM
Englander makes a 12" natural latex bed with an 8" latex core on a 2" high density soy based poly covered by several layers of cotton with a 1"cotton quilt to an all natural tack n jump cotton cover with a densified latex edge guard that retails in California for about $1000.00 in a queen...I don't know in what areas, that particular model is available in, but I would bet you should be able to get the twin set for about $700 or so.
This message was modified Dec 22, 2011 by a moderator
Reply #8 Jan 4, 2012 12:12 AM
What is the marketing trick on the "soy" based material?  Is all "soy" created equal?  What should I be looking for in "soy"?

Thanks,

Sherry

Reply #9 Jan 4, 2012 12:32 PM
'Soy Foam' is still mostly made out of oil and is still polyurethane foam.  If the OP's goal was a natural mattress (not just a mattress containing natural latex) then it doesn't belong in there.  

Polyurethane foams are by weight made up usually 2/3 by a petro-chemical called TDI (or in some less common cases MDI), the other 1/3rd of the weight is polyol (a form of alcohol acting as a binding agent).  And a blowing agent used to aerate the mixture into foam, the blowing agent makes up almost none of the weight but different blowing agents give the foam different properties (memory foam uses different blowing agents than standard polyurethane foams).  Soy based, castor based, plant based whatever foam replaces a portion of the polyol content of the foam.  Could be as little of 5% of the polyol portion or as much as 50% of the polyol is the highest I have heard of.  Even @ 50% of the polyol we are talking about 16~18% of the weight of the foam would be natural in content.  

Recent Posts