Pocket coils
Sep 7, 2011 3:58 PM
I'm curious if anyone happens to know what bed brand has the best, most durable pocket coil? (one that comes without a pillowtop)
This message was modified Sep 7, 2011 by Selarah
Re: Pocket coils
Reply #1 Sep 7, 2011 7:11 PM
I would say based on every pocket coil mattress I have ever looked @ (Carpe Diem, Hastens, Vi-Spring, Hypnos, Marshall) the GreenSleep pocket coil is probably the most durable.  The coils are heavy 13.5 gauge steel (very thick for a pocket coil), and wrapped in rubberized coir.  Technically the beds come with seperate toppers that are filled with natural rubber wool and cotton covered.  The toppers are replaceable but they are quite durable as they are made out of rubber and contain no polyurethane foam.  The bottom coil cores have no upholstery at all, so they should last a very, very long time before needing replacing.  The firmer model (Molena) has a pretty solid feeling to it, definitely does not feel like a pillowtop at all.
Reply #2 Sep 7, 2011 11:34 PM
Hi Budgy.. I really appreciate your input!! I was looking at this company here in our city that carry natural organic beds. I haven't heard of this bed before.. I just googled where I could find it here, and it turns out this company carries that exact brand!  Its nice to know I can get a high quality bed and not worry about having issues with it. We really do actually want a pillow top, and were going to make our own.. however if we can actually get a high quality pillow top already made thats even better! Are you able to just buy toppers from Greensleep? Also, is it necessary to buy a box spring when we already have a bed with a wood slat base foundation? A side question, is there any benifit in having a heavier gauge coil in the middle section of the bed? Thanks so much! 
This message was modified Sep 7, 2011 by Selarah
Reply #3 Sep 8, 2011 2:50 AM
Selarah wrote:

Hi Budgy.. I really appreciate your input!! I was looking at this company here in our city that carry natural organic beds. I haven't heard of this bed before.. I just googled where I could find it here, and it turns out this company carries that exact brand!  Its nice to know I can get a high quality bed and not worry about having issues with it. We really do actually want a pillow top, and were going to make our own.. however if we can actually get a high quality pillow top already made thats even better! Are you able to just buy toppers from Greensleep? Also, is it necessary to buy a box spring when we already have a bed with a wood slat base foundation? A side question, is there any benifit in having a heavier gauge coil in the middle section of the bed? Thanks so much! 

GreenSleep does not sell their toppers seperately.  They bring in limited raw materials into North America so they are really only interested in selling complete mattresses, and/or reserving the replacement toppers for existing GreenSleep customers.  It is not absolutely required to get a foundation, however the GreenSleep foundations do provide somewhat of a bottomless luxury feel to the mattress because it is an actual suspension system.  It will also potentially extend the life of the mattress somewhat over a rigid foundation. The foundation systems in the GreenSleep beds are set up default firmer in the centre third of the bed and the mattresses use a non-zoned spring system.  From my research on both GreenSleep as well as the other ultra high end brands, no one uses zoned springs.  The natural progressive rate of a spring to become fimer with compression automatically compensates for our heavier regions compressing the springs more in the centre third of the bed.  Biasing the spring rates further can sometimes be a detriment.  

This message was modified Sep 8, 2011 by budgy

Recent Posts