Plush Beds
Oct 13, 2010 8:57 AM
Has anyone purchased from Plushbeds?  Can't seem to find much information on them.

Thanks!

Re: Plush Beds
Reply #36 Oct 27, 2010 11:34 AM
Phoenix,

Spoke wiith the Swiss Rest rep. He makes the mattresses at electropedic. Advised it was a separate operation. They use a blended talalay from LI. The mattress core is 5.5" 36 ILD and the top and bottom of the mattress are 1.9" of 24 ILD. The cover is some type of cotton foam. He mentioned something about whisper shield base.  Not really comfortable with this operation.

Spoke with a rep fromTomorrow's World and trying to figure out which mattress would compare to the Swiss Rest. Looks like the embrace or caress are in the running. Will comtinue to shop around and lay on some mattresses which have similar layers of the ILD which Tomorrow's World  offers.

Apprecaite all your advice. It has been helpful. Will let you know how things work out.

sy

Reply #37 Nov 8, 2010 8:39 AM
Phoenix,

In the process of making a deal on a latex mattress. The store also handles tempur-pedic and suggested using their foundation as it was premium 5/8" density fiberboard and provides good mattress support.

Thoughts?? Recommendations??

sy 

Reply #38 Nov 8, 2010 12:35 PM
I'm not sure where you're purchasing from but depending on what kind of store it is I would certainly take along some of the prices for similar mattresses from some of the links in the threads here to use as "ammunition". Some stores and/or outlets will of course be more open to negotiation than others depending on their own policies, circumstances, and the profit built in to the price they are charging.

I would also be very careful about paying too much on a foundation as some places will use that to "make up" for any discounts you get on a mattress. They can be a major profit center particularly if they are a "name brand" foundation. There are a lot of places where you can get a good and perfectly suitable foundation for a very reasonable cost.

Is it the Swiss Rest back store you are talking to?

Phoenix

Reply #39 Nov 8, 2010 10:14 PM
Phoenix,

The mattress set was originally $3699 and I have the cost down to $2800. It is the OMI and I believe it is a good deal. Was curious if the foundation needed to be constructed in a special way or if the tempur-pedic foundation would be ok. The specs look like it is well built.

sy 

Reply #40 Nov 8, 2010 11:37 PM
Based on what you mentioned in an earlier post I'm assuming that is the Lago with foundation in a queen and if that's the case then that's a pretty good price. Not to say that I wouldn't try to get them lower since it is more than a similar amount of "organic" latex in other mattresses with a nice cover (and I would show them a couple of examples) but it is also a very nice mattress with high quality latex and even more importantly YOU like what it feels like.

Any good foundation that is well built and is designed to support a heavier latex (or memory foam) mattress would be fine. The slats should be 2-3 inches apart depending on how wide they are and of course closer together means stronger. I wouldn't pay more than about $300 for a foundation since there are many in that range that would do perfectly well unless you are looking for esthetics and matching fabric.

Phoenix

Reply #41 Nov 11, 2010 1:34 PM
Phoenix,

Back to the drawing board. Made a final offer three days ago and they have not returned my call. 

Az. mattress. Spoke with Ken for about 30 minutes. Was very informative and seems to know the mattress business. Prices are low. BBB had the company rated as a F but there wasn't much to base the rating on that I could find. Don't know if the rating is accurate or not. Business use to be Mattress Liquidators. He strongly supports a core of 5.5" blended or 6" natural talalay then going with a 2" topper. He believes the 3 layers (like sleep ez/ flobed) minimize support. Strong supporter of blended talalay. Have you had any dealing or knowledge of the company. From what I researched it looks like an option. Am still going thru sleep ez, flo bed and others. Not in a hurry at this point. What to make sure we come up with the right combination for us.

sy   

Reply #42 Nov 11, 2010 5:12 PM
I had many extensive conversations with Ken and found him to be one of the most knowledgeable people I talked to (and as you probably know from my posts in other threads I talked to a LOT). I also appreciated that he didn't just give me the "standard" replies ... even when his opinions went "against the grain" or would have jeopardized a sale. He can be very "passionate" if you get him going (laughing).

He was one of my "final 3" and at the time the biggest "downside" was that I didn't know he could customize a mattress in any way I wanted. I came to believe from my personal experience that I wanted more than 2" of a softer layer on top (although what he told me about 2" made sense as well and is probably true for most people). I found out later that he could have added another 2" and changed the cover for an additional $200. For that matter he could add a 3" top layer if someone wanted it but he believes that 2" is more appropriate for most which is why he lists this on his website. He also uses Radium as his supplier for the blended Talalay and Latex International for his natural Talalay. Radium is to Europe what LI is to North America in terms of latex.

I also saw the "F" rating but I know how the BBB works for non members (they are a private for profit company and rate companies that are members differently than non members) and the 2 complaints in 36 months registered with one unresolved did not seem to justify the rating. In my experience and based on what I learned from (and about) him (and many others of course), I would have no problems doing business with him and he certainly represents great value in my opinion.

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 11, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #43 Nov 12, 2010 2:06 PM
Phoenix,

Are there any  differences (advantages/disadvantages) in feel, support  and comfort between 2 piece adjustable mattresses (6" core 2" topper) vs 3 - 2" layers pieces? I have tried only the two piece mattress set ups and I know you have tried both.

Thanks!

sy

Reply #44 Nov 12, 2010 3:42 PM
There really isn't a basic advantage to one over the other but there are a few differences which can make a difference to an individual IMO.

In general 2 pieces of latex of the same ILD will be slightly softer and have a little more give than the same thickness in one piece of the same ILD. The thinner the layers, the more noticeable this may be.

In a support layer (deeper layer) of normal thickness, this could make a very small difference in the alignment of your spine in theory since the two pieces could allow you to sink in very slightly more. I really doubt this would be noticeable in any real terms in a support layer though in the thickness of layers that are usually used. Of course with 2 pieces you could have different ILD's as well which can make a bigger difference and allow you to customize different feels and how far you sink in to a greater degree. How important this was would depend on an individual, weight distribution, sensitivity, and personal preference and how suitable a particular ILD in a single layer was for your circumstances.

So having the ability to choose support layers in different ILD's can be an advantage if no single ILD seems to work or if you want to "experiment" to get from 90% to 100% perfection. I think in general terms though ... in a support layer it is less important and can create a degree of complexity that can cause as much confusion as it can help in some cases. Support is really the ability of the support layers to keep your spine aligned through the range of your sleeping positions. If you have the "correct for you" ILD and thickness in a single support layer, then there would be no advantage and even a disadvantage to splitting it in two.

In the upper (comfort) layers, thickness and splitting layers can make a bigger difference in my experience. Both I and my other half like a soft "feel" and are sensitive to pressure (her more than me). What we noticed was that for example 3 x 1" layers on the top of a mattress felt much more like 2" than a single 3" piece. In both of our cases, we noticed that a 2" piece (or the equivalent) on top would allow us to sink in and feel the "transition" (on our sides) from one ILD to the next in the mattress. If the next ILD was a fairly big difference and not "gradual" enough ... we didn't like the feel and could sense pressure on our hips if we "bounced" a little bit. This indicated to us that we would be happier with a 3" layer on top (or at least 2.5"). I doubt that the majority of people would have noticed this as much as we did because we were specifically testing for this "transition effect" and paid a lot of attention to it. We knew for example that we could feel this effect in a mattress that had 3 one inch layers of 19 ILD on top of 28 ild since one mattress we tested had that specific combination. It probably would have been fine if the top was say 22 ILD with 28 as the next layer as it was right on the edge of our ability to feel it. Other mattresses that had 2" on top of the mattress had this same "transition" effect for us but again we were looking and testing for it. 3" in the correct (for us) combination didn't have this effect. Our body makeup probably makes a difference here since both of us have fairly small waists and have hips and shoulders that are quite a bit wider than our waist.

The final solution for us was to go with both 3" on top and a more gradual transition in a "soft/medium" ild range. Others (as you can see from the wide variety on the forum) would probably be happier with a different combination.

Hope this helps

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 12, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #45 Nov 15, 2010 7:33 PM
Good evening Phoenix,

Spent a good 30 minutes on the telephone with Bob from Custom Sleep Design. Provided a good overview of his mattress design and based on our sizes/shoulder/back issues he sent a break down of each layer of the 3 layers with zoned areas for hip and shoulder support. The core was 6" (40 ILD on my side 36 ILD on my wife's side) the next 3" layer was zoned  34" (measured from the top of the mattress toward the foot of the bed)  of 32 ILD top part / the remaining 46" of the mattress was 36 ILD for me and my wife's was zoned 32" of  28 ILD for the top part and 32 ILD for the bottom 48". The final 2" layer was zoned 31" of 19 ILd on the top part and the remaining 49" bottom was 28 for me and my wife's side was 29" of 14ILD on the top part and 28 ILD on the bottom 51".  Will be talking with him tomorrow concerning firmness, exchanges, layout of the zoned layers and of course pricing. He will do blended or natural latex. I know some people have had good overall experiences with him. Need to know how this zoning works.

Are you familiar with it? Sounds like a good way to maintain support and comfort.

sy

Recent Posts