Please help me figure out which FloBed to buy
Feb 11, 2010 8:33 PM
Please help me figure out which FloBed to buy.

FloBeds recommended for me to buy the Posture VZone because I am a side sleeper and the VZone is designed for side sleepers.

However, I do not want to buy that one because I do not like that it has velcro on it. When the velcro wears out, then what am I supposed to do?

Besides that, I don't think I'd ever use that functionality anyhow of rolling the layers across each other and whatnot.

Additionally, I do not like how the latex in the Vzone seems to be divided into sections like that because instinctually it looks to me like it would make it easier for the layers to rip apart over time.

So...what else should I buy from FloBeds? 

I do not really understand the differences between the beds listed on their website.

For  an example of something that confuses me:   their "Natural Latex" model lists a feature of "9 Inch Organic Cotton. "   What does that mean, exactly?  Does that mean that part of the mattress uses innersprings and/or PU foam?  Are there drawbacks to the 9 inches of cotton?  Is it better to get an all latex mattress with no inches of cotton?

If you guys could break those issues down for me, and also all the other issues I should be aware of regarding the differences in FloBed models,  in laymen's terms, I'd appreciate that a lot.

Re: Please help me figure out which FloBed to buy
Reply #3 Feb 12, 2010 4:47 AM
No idea where you're getting the 9" of cotton, but I agree that the best person to answer the question of "what Flobed should I buy" is the guys at Flobeds.  I have a Flobeds mattress, and yes, I called them, and yes, they recommended the V-Zone, and no, I didn't buy it (for one thing it was more expensive and for another, that v-zone layer was more complicated than I wanted to deal with).

I basically chose my mattress based on my budget, they don't have *that* many models.  I eyeballed them, picked a budget and bought the mattress that fit it.  I called them and discussed my height, weight, and sleeping position, they recommended firmness levels that ended up being pretty much spot on.

My mattress is made up of four layers of latex.  Three layers are roughly 2.75" each, and they are layered directly on top of each other.  The final layer is a 2" convoluted latex topper layer that sits on top off all the other layers.  This is all encased in a zippered, knit cotton and wool mattress cover.

Went to look at the Flobed website.  What you are reading as 9" of cotton means that is the HEIGHT of the mattress.  It is 9 inchess thick, in a cotton mattress cover.  You might have been reading this about their Posture Select Natural Talalay Latex Green Mattresss:

*9 Inch Organic Cotton and 100% Natural Latex Mattress
*Covered with 100% Organic Cotton European Stretch Knit quilted to one inch 100% Pure Mt. Shasta EcoWool.
*2 inch Convoluted Natural Talalay Latex topper provides pressure relief and comfort without diminishing support qualities of latex cores below.
*Two Layer Natural Talalay Latex Core (each 3 inches) offers each sleeper 1 of 10 personal firmnesses of edge-to-edge Natural Talalay Latex.
This message was modified Feb 12, 2010 by KimberlyH
Reply #4 Feb 12, 2010 9:57 AM
Can you tell me why you chose convoluted latex as the final layer? Thanks!
Reply #5 Feb 12, 2010 11:50 AM
narnia wrote:
Can you tell me why you chose convoluted latex as the final layer? Thanks!

narnia: Because they all come that way. You could change the top layer if you chose to do so, but I'm sure there would be extra costs involved. And possibly due to the size of the mattress cover itself might not be advisable. But you can talk to David or Dewey Turner at FloBeds and clarify this issue if you want to do so. They are very helpful and very interested in making sure their customers are satisfied.

It is truly a delight to be able to call a company now days and talk to a live human being rather than a machine, especially when that live human being owns the company. You just might get a woman, as I understand they have hired a person to help them carry the load of calls so that you don't wind up getting a machine. But if she does answer the phone and can not answer your questions to your satisfaction, she more than likely will turn you over to Dave or Dewey.

The reason for the convoluted piece of latex is to give you a softer surface feel and a little more air circulation.
Reply #6 Feb 12, 2010 1:55 PM
I bought the VZone and I love it.  There isn't any rolling around of layers across each other but it basically gives you a little more support where the body needs it for side sleeping, yet provides more cushion at the pressure points (hips and shoulders) as well as the ability to shift the firmnesses around to where you like them most.    I only received it last month so yes, I am still tweaking my bed somewhat but I haven't found it to be difficult to deal with.   There is quite a bit of velcro around each piece which prevents them from slipping...on top of that is the convoluted 2" layer and it is all encased in their beautiful organic wool and cotton layer as others have described here.  I haven't heard of velcro ever wearing out but if it did, I would imagine FloBeds' exceptional warranty would cover issues there.  Also, it would remain encased in the zippered cover anyway.

But I agree with everyone else who has purchased from them...Dave and Dewey will not steer you wrong..they are very honest business owners that care about your being satisfied.  Definitely talk to them.

Reply #7 Feb 12, 2010 3:09 PM
TJ12, what ILD did you choose for your hips and shoulders?  I am trying to make my own zoning.  Also what ILD did you choose for the rest of the mattress.

Thanks.
Reply #8 Feb 16, 2010 1:30 AM
Hi Confused,

I just got my FloBed 2 weeks ago.  It's not working for us yet, but Dave and Dewey are being very helpful.  The big mistake we made was going too soft - we like a firm mattress and thought we'd ordered something firm enough, but it's not even close.  New layers came in today and we'll start trying them tonight - I'll let you know how it goes. 

My 210 lb husband started with F-XF-XF.  Moving the firm to the very bottom helped a bit (XF-XF-F), but not enough.  So his new layer is SF, which he plans to swap for the F but if that makes things too firm he can send back an XF layer instead of a F.  I'm setting his side up tonight as XF-SF-XF.

I have a fused spine and a lot of back pain.  I need a lot of firmness under the hips even though I'm a side sleeper so I didn't get the VZone, I got 2 layers of firm and 2 XF.  F-F-XF is too mushy, and XF-F-F felt weird and wasn't comfortable under the shoulders, so I've been sleeping with F-XF-F and waking up with a lot of back pain.  So Dave made me up a custom VZone.  Most of the segments are F and XF, but one is XXF and one is M.  Tonight I'm going to try it as my top layer the way it arrived out of the package, with XF under the hips, F under the lumbar region, and M under the shoulders.  I'm a bit skeptical about the M under the shoulders, but the idea is that I'll be able to shift those around until I figure out what is comfortable.

We both hate the feel of the convolute layer, and my husband slept much better when we removed it completely.  But I couldn't sleep at all with it off, so we had to put it back.  Dave will exchange this for us if necessary and I strongly suspect we will want to.  But Dave recommended we work on the base layers first and since he's talked a lot of customers through this it seemed reasonable to follow his advice.

Linda
Reply #9 Feb 16, 2010 1:48 AM
inkholder: I am curious. What kind of a mattress topper over the mattress cover are you using? I know this sounds like a very small item, but I have found that it makes quite a bit of difference. the cover that I started out with was an old cover of cotton and I believe it is Dacron back material. It is very thin, and wearing out. So I put a new 100% cotton cover on my bed that was thicker. It made the mattress feel quite a bit firmer. I believe I'm going to wind up going back to my old style topper. Just a thought.

I to have a FloBeds and I am 6'2" and weigh 210 pounds. I also have a bad back though it doesn't sound nearly as severe as what you are experiencing. I have found that I like the convoluted 2 inch top layer, and probably the best configuration for me is F/F/XF. I configured the other side, (based upon FloBeds website calculator which said this would be a firmer configuration) as  F/XF/M. I have found this to not be correct. It actually feels softer than the other side. However I at least found out that the very bottom layer does make a considerable difference, which was a surprise to me. Whatever configuration that I tried during my 90 day trial I always left the bottom pieces at XF.

But don't give up, give Dave Turner the opportunity and he'll do everything possible to make the bed work for you. This is what I like about this company as opposed to so many others. And the only cost for this is the shipping cost back to FloBeds for whatever piece of latex you return. And while I had not looked up the cost for my purchasing the return shipment myself,( I always purchased it from them and the label arrived in the layer they shipped to me) I just feel they get a better rate than I could get.

Good luck!
This message was modified Feb 16, 2010 by eagle2
Reply #10 Feb 16, 2010 3:00 AM
Hi Eagle,

The mattress cover is cotton backed by something clearly artificial (not sure what, husband is sleeping on it so I can't check).  It is new within the last 6 months, as I swapped out the ratty old one hoping this would make at least a tiny difference on my dreadful Sealy.  I will leave it off next time I change the sheets so I can do a comparison of the how the mattress feels with or without it.  If that makes a significant difference I will probably write back asking for mattress cover buying advice. 

Linda
Reply #11 Feb 16, 2010 2:22 PM
Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

I'll call FloBeds again when I'm sure I'm ready to purchase and tell them what I told you, then see what they recommened instead of the Vzone.

I'm told that I can switch the mattresses portions around to achieve different firmnesses, but is the convoluted top always on the top of the bed regardless of where the other layers go?  Does the convoluted top have a specific firmness layer to it that I specify, or is there only one firmness for the convoluted top that is the same for everybody's FloBed? 

TJ12 wrote:

I haven't heard of velcro ever wearing out

I have seen it happen tons of times with all sorts of velcro-laden products I've owned throughout my life, such as shoes and grounding wrist straps.   In my experience, over time the velcro starts to get all fuzzy due to degradation, and loses its ability to stick together, which makes it useless in the long run. 

Even if it is covered under warranty, I still wouldn't take the gamble anyhow because having my Vzone replaced would be too costly due to shipping etc. 

For the sake of longevity I would have rather that they use metal snap button systems or something like that instead of velcro.   It's  all cool for me though because I'll just buy another model instead of the Vzone.   

I'm glad you are loving your Vzone.  

This message was modified Feb 16, 2010 by confusedbedbuyer
Reply #12 Feb 16, 2010 8:17 PM
I don't think the velcro is important at all.

Linda

Recent Posts