Our Hastens Experience
Mar 24, 2008 11:43 AM
I have not been on here in some time, but I used to be a regular poster. 15 months ago my wife and I purchased a Hastens Excelsior in medium. It was by far the best bed we have ever slept in bar none. We have taken very good care of our investment. But something has gone wrong, and the bed has developed a slight hammocking effect that is problematic. The Hastens company was very quick to respond, and sent a company rep immediately. We live in New York City. Within days they determined that something unusual has gone wrong with the springs and have ordered us a brand new mattress. The price has gone up and they are not charging us the difference. We tested the new ones and to me they are even better than the one we had. The sides have been reinforced, and they are amazingly comfortable. I am amazed at the level of service we have received from the Hastens company. They insist that this problem is very rare and I believe it.  I have friends who own this bed and they report no such problem. I have not lost faith in the Hastens product. Their commitment to satisfaction shows me just what kind of company this is. Even Rolls Royce or Ferrari produce a lemon occasionally.

There has been a lot of talk about Hastens here lately. Unless you have owned or experienced this bed it is quite ridiculous to comment on it. So much has been said about how overrated Hastens is. How poorly they are made. How they are not worth the money. So many negative comments. But few of the negative comments seem to come from Hastens owners. Yes, this bed is expensive. It is not for everyone. I know I am fortunate to be able to have one.  I find much of the negativity about this bed to be unfounded and a bit ignorant. Unless you own one you just don't know. And this is coming from someone who just had a problem with one. That is how much I love and believe in this bed. There is nothing like a Hastens in my opinion, and they are worth every penny. And I know many agree with me.

Re: Our Hastens Experience
Reply #5 Mar 24, 2008 4:55 PM
Well..thanks for the input. I'm seriously considering to buy a Superia in medium confort. The "considering " factor is the feeling that Hastens feels to me too much like a Rolex watch,that means you're are paying more the name than the actual quality.
And,like a Rolex,makes you go like " yes,look at my wrist.."....." yes..i've dropped 7000 Euro on a mattress.."..but that's actually the least of my concern.
Reply #6 Mar 24, 2008 5:22 PM
Need4sleep,

What makes you think Rolex is all show and no substance? I am a bit of a watch collector, and I am wearing a Rolex as I type this. It is one of the best watches in my  collection. And it is quite understated. Rolex is one of the few manufacturers who still make all their own movements in house. It is all about the quality. I look at hastens in much the same way. It is true that many expensive products are not worthy of their reputation. It is up to the consumer to educate themselves.

This message was modified Mar 24, 2008 by sleeptight
Reply #7 Mar 24, 2008 5:33 PM
Sleeptight,

Yeah, I remember your posts because I used to be a 'regular' but haven't posted here in a long time until a couple of days ago.  (Refer to my post, in the end I'm very happy with my current bed with the topper configuration I'm using).

Can I be honest here?   Look, I'd be pretty surprised if Hastens did not respond by giving you a new mattress, but quick.  The bed is astronomically expensive and if a problem arises, since they don't do returns I would expect nothing less than A-1 service  I'd be much more surprised if you told me you got great service from one of the "S" companies since everyone knows that there have been problems with used and soiled mattresse being sold as "new," and there has been much negative press.

However, I totally disagree with you that you cannot comment on Hastens unless you have owned one.  The new reinforced sides on the newer versions of Hastens will probably work out great for you because they do make the bed slightly firmer, and less of a chance of the slight hammocking effect you were having.   But because of my severe scoliosis, my back is very hypersensitive to even the slightest change in feel.  When I went back and tried the Excelsior, and even the 2000T in the store, I noticed a definite firmer feeling that to my back just wasn't the same.  I actually like the older Excelsior better.  In fact, they still were making the Naturally and Excel with the un-reinforced sides and I had considered those as alternates, because I actually felt more comfortable in the cheaper Hastens than the luxury ones.

But I also noticed another negative when I was in the store (and I went to both stores in Manhattan and the same thing happened).   Every time I went to try out a Hastens bed, I went in the late fall and winter and wore long sleeves and pants.  The last two times I went I had shorts and short sleeves on.  After lying on the beds for only 15 minutes, I began to feel very itchy.  I believe it may have been the wool (not the horsehair) that is in the topper and I may have an allergy to it.  And it wasn't the cotton because I sleep on cotton sheets and have no problem with them, so I'm betting it's the wool.  The point is, I don't own the bed but I did have this skin irritation and reaction just by trying it out with short sleeves.   Likewise, I would advise anyone thinking of buying a bed where wool is a main component to try it out as I did.

When you sleep on it, you have the sheet and possibly a mattres pad on the bed, so your skin doesn't touch the wool directly.  However, it is not a chance I personally would take, seeing how badly my skin reacted.  No rash, but just itching and irritation. 

I am glad they replaced your mattress and I truly believe that in your case the reinforced sides will be excellent.  I remember asking the sales manager in the Soho store about it, and she even explained to me that it was to sort of "firm up" the bed a bit, and pull all the materials together.  I'll bet for most people it will be an improvement.  

The only other thing I notice is that everyone who owns a Hastens and comes to the forum seems to have a need to convince everyone else what an excellent product it is.  I don't think people need convincing and I don't recall anyone ever questioning the quality of construction.   Only the pricetag ladies, only the pricetag... 

Best of luck...

Bonnie

Reply #8 Mar 24, 2008 5:49 PM
Sleeptight,

You own a Rolex too?  Heck, may I ask what you do for a living?  Ok, it's a personal question.  Sounds good whatever it is... 

Anyway, I re-read your post on Hastens and I've been thinking, unless you really love your job or if you are retired you ought to consider working for the Hastens company in sales.  I'm not kidding.   With all the enthusiasm you have for the product I have a feeling you'd really be great at it.   That's half the success in sales, enthusiasm and a strong belief in your product line.  My guess is though you're financially independent.  Keep in mind though, that with the stock market the way it's been and the credit crunch...especially in these times...alot of people are not well-off and for them Hastens is not going to happen.

Take care,

Bonnie

Reply #9 Mar 24, 2008 5:52 PM
I remember you too Bonnie. I hope all is well.

I am surprised to hear that you felt the new Hastens were firmer than the old ones. I thought they were about the same. The spring tension is the same,which is what ultimately determines firmness. In fact we had a medium,which we feel is a bit soft for us. On the new ones we chose a firm model. It seemed like a better fit for us.

Would one say a Ferrari is expensive? How about an Aston Martin? A meal at Per Se in manhattan? A Jaeger LeCoultre watch perhaps? These are all very expensive items,and not for everyone. But to me they are NOT overrated or over priced. They are superior luxury items for the fortunate minority who can afford them. I recognize that this does not include everyone. Hastens to me falls into the same category. I am tired of people who cannot or will not purchase a Hastens saying I am crazy or foolish for buying one. At the same time saying how overrated they are. That has happened too often here. You can compare a Ford to a Rolls Royce, and you can compare a Sealy to a Hastens(or other superior brands for that matter). I believe in quality, and I always buy the best I can afford. Considering how important sleep is to our lives, how could one not get the best bed they can afford? To me it is one of the most important purchases we can ever make.

Reply #10 Mar 24, 2008 6:01 PM
I am in the Restaurant business in Manhattan Bonnie. I've worked too hard and been too successful to be a salesperson for Hastens.  I have much more passion for food than I do beds anyway Bonnie. But a nice observation. Thanks.
Reply #11 Mar 24, 2008 8:55 PM
"Would one say a Ferrari is expensive? How about an Aston Martin? A meal at Per Se in manhattan? A Jaeger LeCoultre watch perhaps? These are all very expensive items,and not for everyone. But to me they are NOT overrated or over priced. They are superior luxury items for the fortunate minority who can afford them. I recognize that this does not include everyone. Hastens to me falls into the same category. I am tired of people who cannot or will not purchase a Hastens saying I am crazy or foolish for buying one. At the same time saying how overrated they are. That has happened too often here. You can compare a Ford to a Rolls Royce, and you can compare a Sealy to a Hastens(or other superior brands for that matter). I believe in quality, and I always buy the best I can afford. Considering how important sleep is to our lives, how could one not get the best bed they can afford? To me it is one of the most important purchases we can ever make."

Time to put on the hip boots. I know a sales pitch when I smell one.
Reply #12 Mar 25, 2008 5:39 AM
sleeptight wrote:
Need4sleep,

What makes you think Rolex is all show and no substance? I am a bit of a watch collector, and I am wearing a Rolex as I type this. It is one of the best watches in my  collection. And it is quite understated. Rolex is one of the few manufacturers who still make all their own movements in house. It is all about the quality. I look at hastens in much the same way. It is true that many expensive products are not worthy of their reputation. It is up to the consumer to educate themselves.

You need to do better search. Rolex has movements built in China,with superior materials of course,but still made in China. They tell you they take one year to build one,that's a total lie. Rolex also manage a fake/replicas undermarket,it's a known fact. I used to have a very nice Datejust with roman numbers,very nice..very overrated. Useful to be noticed by hookers in Las Vegas.  That's why It is hard to me to look at Hastens in the same way,even if i would have no problem in affording one. 6 months ago I've spent about 1000 Euro on a Sealy mattress that in the USA market would'nt even be used as a dog mattress and I'm perfectly happy with that (until it hammock)

This message was modified Mar 25, 2008 by Need4sleep
Reply #13 Mar 25, 2008 10:19 AM
Then you should not buy a Rolex Need4sleep. You clearly have all the information you require.
Reply #14 Mar 25, 2008 10:20 AM
Sales Pitch??? Give me a break.

Recent Posts