Newbie Questions About Buying Natural Latex Mattress
Sep 30, 2011 10:05 AM
Hello gals and guys,

I'm shopping for a new mattress and even though I think I read a ton, I decided to consult with the community before making final decision. I always trust actual folks lot more than I trust companies pushing their product.

We currently have spring mattress that was pretty expensive at the time we bought it (it was about 12 years ago I believe and we paid around $800 for it). It was good I suppose and it could still go for a while but I think it's time to make a change. It's become very heavy from all the dust accumlated in it (and who knows what else). I also have an upper back problem and I don't feel it's helping. I don't sleep well at all. I'm not sure if I should ttribute this to the mattress or it's just me getting older or it's something else. 

After doing some research, I decided to go with memory foam mattress. I first looked at TempurPedic of course but then I read reviews about how many chemicals they use and how bad it smells and how it's not really all that comfortable and I sumbled upon latex mattresses, which I didn't know existed before (yeah, I kind of live in a cave I guess). First thing I came across was Essentia. The web site is awesome and they have tons of material to read. They even have a store in NYC where I can visit (I plan to in about a week). But what alarms me a bit is their lack of accreditation and recognition. I also read they make some false claims about quality of their latex. Not sure if it's true or false or can at all be proven, but some of the things I read about them (couldn't find too much info which is also a  bit alarming) has my red flags go up. But I will give them a fair shot nevertheless.

I'm now looking at Zleep-EZ, Flobeds, SavvyRest, Natura in addition to Essentia. I think these are the major manufacturors? I want to be an equal opportunity shopper, so I hope I'm not missing anyone else.

I like rather firmer mattress, but I don't want to sleep on a rock either. My wife prefers a softer one but she doesn't want to sleep in a puddle either. I'm looking at the budget of around $3,000 (give or take couple of hundreds). I think I'm looking for at least 10" thickness which would probably make for 4 layers of latex? I see that most of the companies have 90 days layer replacement policies, but I would like to avoid making a mistake and then having 1 shot to correct it. I sleep mostly on my stomach and my wife sleeps mostly on her side. I'm not sure what layers (as far as firmness is concerned) should be in what order though. I'm also not positive I understand if I need a pillow top. I understand it takes at least couple of weeks to get used to latex especially that we slept on spings all of our lives, but I would really hate to come away being dissapointed with the matterss after shelling out 3 grands. 

Any advice/help you guys can offer is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

-Tony.

Re: Newbie Questions About Buying Natural Latex Mattress
Reply #17 Oct 4, 2011 11:39 PM
slpngoc wrote:

Tony,

Just want to give you a little heads up about Tempurpedic bed vs. my all latex bed.  It's been tough to discern this, but I've got the differences nailed down now.  The feel of each bed is totally different.  The all latex bed allows one to turn quite easily in it because it is so resilient and has an immediate springback nature.  But, that is also its disadavantage.  The center of the bed is a little more broken in than closer to the edge and that's normal because I think all mattresses break in more where you sleep the most.    The problem is when I roll more to the edge of the bed, the latex kinda sort of wants to push me back towards the center.   Yes, latex is very easy to turn on, but I don't get the feeling of being as securely in place as in the Tempurpedic.

The Tempurpedic also breaks in more in the center of the bed, but Tempur or memory foam just conforms from all directions wherever you're at.  So, I can roll right to the edge on the Tempurpedic and feel held in place and relaxed because of it.  I can move to any part of the bed and it will conform.  It's not as easy to move in the bed, but that's part of its strength - it holds a body in place so that one can relax.  Not that it is hard to turn in this Cloud.  So, the TP seems to have a lot going for it - good support, conformance, easy on joints, doesn't sleep hot, seems durable (my Symphony pillow was just like I bought it after 3 years), and for the slight odor, I'll hope it goes away and since it doesn't bother me now, I'll hope it's harmless as they say.

Good look. I don't want my mattress to move me. I wonder how long it takes for a latex bed to develop this. We sleep on innerspring now and had it for 12 years. It has a pillow top (I'm not sure why so many people have problem with pillowtops) but the mattress is still flat as a pancake. I'm not sure if it was just a quality mattress, our luck or combination of the 2, but I would not anticipate this kind of a problem with a latex bed. 

I still cannot bring myself to seriously consider TP after everything I've read about what they're made out of. Besides, from what I understand they're not really any cheaper than latex. I will try them out in a store though. I want to feel how they really wrap around you. I'm not a crazy eco guy, but from what I understand buying mattress made out of natutal latex (even if it's not 100% natural) helps the wild forrest and I'd like to help out whenever I can.

Regards,

-Tony.

P.S. I thought memory foam slept hot? Not so according to your testimony. Which ones sleep hot? I think I'm confused now. Hell, it seems like it's easier to buy a house than a mattress.

Reply #18 Oct 5, 2011 12:09 AM
Tony_ wrote:

Good look. I don't want my mattress to move me. I wonder how long it takes for a latex bed to develop this. We sleep on innerspring now and had it for 12 years. It has a pillow top (I'm not sure why so many people have problem with pillowtops) but the mattress is still flat as a pancake. I'm not sure if it was just a quality mattress, our luck or combination of the 2, but I would not anticipate this kind of a problem with a latex bed. 

I still cannot bring myself to seriously consider TP after everything I've read about what they're made out of. Besides, from what I understand they're not really any cheaper than latex. I will try them out in a store though. I want to feel how they really wrap around you. I'm not a crazy eco guy, but from what I understand buying mattress made out of natutal latex (even if it's not 100% natural) helps the wild forrest and I'd like to help out whenever I can.

Regards,

-Tony.

P.S. I thought memory foam slept hot? Not so according to your testimony. Which ones sleep hot? I think I'm confused now. Hell, it seems like it's easier to buy a house than a mattress.

I think memory foam generally sleeps warmer than the typical innerspring mattress.  I was using the same 'ol comforter on a new innerspring in June.  Switched to an iComfort memory foam in July.  Like 2 nights into it, woke up at 4 am, got up,  tooo warm!  Ditched the comforter for a blanket as top layer.  Couple days later bought a nice quilt instead.  Quilts are maybe 1/4" thick.  I like it. 

Was still bit warm on icomfort, but that's because I was sinking in too much.  Got too greedy for an ultra plush mattress.  But the Cloud, not too warm.  Top sheet, quilt, 65 to 75 F room, no problems.  Tempurpedics have the convoluted foam single or dual channels which seem to work.

Caution with the really plush, sink down models of Tempurpedics.  Cloud Luxe is awfully soft.  Really don't know Cloud Supreme would have been too soft and cause neck probs for me.  Won't know.  Regular Cloud - fine.

The TP Contour Select and Signature have the slow reacting, original type Tempurpedic foam.  Had to pass on that.  Rhapsody is pricey, but has the Tempur HD foam.  Have to tune in to feel it, but that stuff conforms great. 

About the all latex.  Too bad what happened on the matching wood slatted foundation.  After first night, was quickly shopping for a thick mattress pad, next day shopping for memory foam topper .... not right.  New latex mattress, then shopping for memory foam topper? which didn't work out.  Mattress felt terrible to me on that slatted wood foundation. 

I didn't like the idea of squishy latex on a box spring, but it was the best thing going.   I tried latex couple nights, then Tempur couple nights. Latex felt off.

Maybe the setup on latex was just wrong.  I tried some Natural Mattress Store all latex mattresses and they felt awfully good in the store. I would have liked to get one, but they were really pricey, $2000 and up, and no return policy, only comfort exchanges.

This message was modified Oct 5, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #19 Oct 5, 2011 9:51 AM
slpngoc wrote:

I think memory foam generally sleeps warmer than the typical innerspring mattress.  I was using the same 'ol comforter on a new innerspring in June.  Switched to an iComfort memory foam in July.  Like 2 nights into it, woke up at 4 am, got up,  tooo warm!  Ditched the comforter for a blanket as top layer.  Couple days later bought a nice quilt instead.  Quilts are maybe 1/4" thick.  I like it. 

Was still bit warm on icomfort, but that's because I was sinking in too much.  Got too greedy for an ultra plush mattress.  But the Cloud, not too warm.  Top sheet, quilt, 65 to 75 F room, no problems.  Tempurpedics have the convoluted foam single or dual channels which seem to work.

Caution with the really plush, sink down models of Tempurpedics.  Cloud Luxe is awfully soft.  Really don't know Cloud Supreme would have been too soft and cause neck probs for me.  Won't know.  Regular Cloud - fine.

The TP Contour Select and Signature have the slow reacting, original type Tempurpedic foam.  Had to pass on that.  Rhapsody is pricey, but has the Tempur HD foam.  Have to tune in to feel it, but that stuff conforms great. 

About the all latex.  Too bad what happened on the matching wood slatted foundation.  After first night, was quickly shopping for a thick mattress pad, next day shopping for memory foam topper .... not right.  New latex mattress, then shopping for memory foam topper? which didn't work out.  Mattress felt terrible to me on that slatted wood foundation. 

I didn't like the idea of squishy latex on a box spring, but it was the best thing going.   I tried latex couple nights, then Tempur couple nights. Latex felt off.

Maybe the setup on latex was just wrong.  I tried some Natural Mattress Store all latex mattresses and they felt awfully good in the store. I would have liked to get one, but they were really pricey, $2000 and up, and no return policy, only comfort exchanges.

How much is the TP Cloud Queen?

I'm planning to use my existing box spring as a foundadtion, so it sounds like you found this to be the best choice?

I agree, buying so much extra stuff just to make you feel comfortable after shelling out 2+ grands doesn't seem right to me. Which latex mattress did you go with, so you had to return it?

I'm afraid that when I go to a store, the mattresses will feel good but when I start sleeping on them they won't feel as good. Sort of like when you buy a TV set in a store and they all look vivid and awesome and you set it up at home and start wondering what the hell they did to the store TV to make it look so great. Besides, laying on a mattress for few minutes will never feel the same as spending the entire night on it. I think one of the major requirements for me would be ability to return it back (even if I lose some money on shipping or re-stoking or whatever fees they come up with).

Reply #20 Oct 5, 2011 2:27 PM
Tony_ wrote:

How much is the TP Cloud Queen?

I'm planning to use my existing box spring as a foundadtion, so it sounds like you found this to be the best choice?

I agree, buying so much extra stuff just to make you feel comfortable after shelling out 2+ grands doesn't seem right to me. Which latex mattress did you go with, so you had to return it?

I'm afraid that when I go to a store, the mattresses will feel good but when I start sleeping on them they won't feel as good. Sort of like when you buy a TV set in a store and they all look vivid and awesome and you set it up at home and start wondering what the hell they did to the store TV to make it look so great. Besides, laying on a mattress for few minutes will never feel the same as spending the entire night on it. I think one of the major requirements for me would be ability to return it back (even if I lose some money on shipping or re-stoking or whatever fees they come up with).

Cloud Queen is $1599 and that price is same nationwide.  Retailers cannot discount TP prices (altough a few claim they got some money off their TP's)

You would not be able to use an existing or any boxspring with Tempurpedic mattress.  Their fixed foundations have a solid wood top, and using a box spring would void the warranty.  Queen foundation is $400.

My all latex mattress was from SleepEZ out of AZ.  I give them an A+ for customer service because they are the nicest people and they take care of business immeidately.  Unfortunately, the 10000 blended talalaly mattress just didn't pan out for me, even tried few different foundations.  Too bad.

Around SF Bay Area, Sleep Train and Mancini's are our biggest major retailers.  One has 100 day refund policy, the other 110 days.  Sleep Train is no restocking fee on refund.

Don't know if I mentioned this before, but be aware, that if you buy a mattress at a place that has a refund / or exchange policy, most likely if you do an exchange to another mattress, that will be a final sale, yours for good, no returns.  Did that once on the iComfort, not again.  Return only if I don't like a mattress.

Reply #21 Oct 5, 2011 3:20 PM
slpngoc wrote:

Cloud Queen is $1599 and that price is same nationwide.  Retailers cannot discount TP prices (altough a few claim they got some money off their TP's)

You would not be able to use an existing or any boxspring with Tempurpedic mattress.  Their fixed foundations have a solid wood top, and using a box spring would void the warranty.  Queen foundation is $400.

My all latex mattress was from SleepEZ out of AZ.  I give them an A+ for customer service because they are the nicest people and they take care of business immeidately.  Unfortunately, the 10000 blended talalaly mattress just didn't pan out for me, even tried few different foundations.  Too bad.

Around SF Bay Area, Sleep Train and Mancini's are our biggest major retailers.  One has 100 day refund policy, the other 110 days.  Sleep Train is no restocking fee on refund.

Don't know if I mentioned this before, but be aware, that if you buy a mattress at a place that has a refund / or exchange policy, most likely if you do an exchange to another mattress, that will be a final sale, yours for good, no returns.  Did that once on the iComfort, not again.  Return only if I don't like a mattress.

So even though SleepEZ advertizes their mattress as 100% Natural Organic Latex (like here: http://www.sleepez.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1_4_24/products_id/232/osCsid/54bat13vrokuef069cf6brhm61 ), it is blended latex? Interesting.

So the only reason you didn't like SleepEZ was because you were gravitating towards the middle of the bed after a while or was it something else?

Thanks for alerting me that layers exchange will void return policy. I had no idea about it.

$1,600 for TP + $400 foundation + taxes would make it almost $2,200 where  I live,  whereas I can get this one http://www.sleepez.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1_4_25/products_id/227/osCsid/54bat13vrokuef069cf6brhm61 which seems to be top of the line (I do hope it's natural organic latex and not heavily blended one) on SleepEZ for $2,300 flat (I assume they don't charge you for shipping and I won't have to pay taxes cross state).Of course this isn't all about the money and I would definitely pay extra for comfort. I will try checking out TP next Monday. Is their foundation also covered by return policy for 100 days? If you return the mattress, I hope you don't get stuck with the foundadtion.

Regards,

-Tony.

Reply #22 Oct 5, 2011 4:38 PM
Tony_ wrote:

Thanks for alerting me that layers exchange will void return policy. I had no idea about it.

Regards,

-Tony.

That is not true with SleepEZ.  I meant if you buy a whole mattress, then exchange to another mattress, I believe in most cases that 2nd one is not returnable..

If you exchange a layer with SleepEZ, the whole mattress would still be returnable within the 90 day trial period.

Reply #23 Oct 5, 2011 4:53 PM
Tony_ wrote:

1) So even though SleepEZ advertizes their mattress as 100% Natural Organic Latex (like here: http://www.sleepez.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1_4_24/products_id/232/osCsid/54bat13vrokuef069cf6brhm61 ), it is blended latex? Interesting.

2) So the only reason you didn't like SleepEZ was because you were gravitating towards the middle of the bed after a while or was it something else?

3) $1,600 for TP + $400 foundation + taxes would make it almost $2,200 where  I live,  whereas I can get this one http://www.sleepez.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1_4_25/products_id/227/osCsid/54bat13vrokuef069cf6brhm61 which seems to be top of the line (I do hope it's natural organic latex and not heavily blended one) on SleepEZ for $2,300 flat (I assume they don't charge you for shipping and I won't have to pay taxes cross state).Of course this isn't all about the money and I would definitely pay extra for comfort. I will try checking out TP next Monday. Is their foundation also covered by return policy for 100 days? If you return the mattress, I hope you don't get stuck with the foundadtion.

Regards,

-Tony.

1) No.  The blended latex would fall under the 'Latex mattress line'.  That is either all natural Dunlop or blended talalay.  The other option is the 'Organic latex' line which all natural talalay latex which has a premium price.

2) I'll try to describe best as possible.  To me latex is 'springy' foam.  You push on it and it pushes back, pronto.  The mattress has a bouncy feel as when you go to get up, it kinda helps push you off the edge a little.  Far as I can tell, I don't think latex molds around a body as much as memory foam.  On my box spring, I did notice a bowing of mattress towards the center.   When I layed towards the edge to test it, it was hard to lay there, felt a little off balance.  Same on both sides.  I just saw no advantage with the latex mattress over the Tempurpedic, overall less comfortable.  The Tempurpedic has a very solid, stable feeling I like.  I had a polyester type of mattress pad on the lates and also the cover has some quilted wool in it and the cover itself is a fairly thick cotton.  Therefore, the feel of the latex / mattress surface was diminished.  The Tempurpedic only has a superthin protectabed on it and fitted sheet, so I get to feel the memory foam a lot which I like.

3) If you didn't like a TP mattress set, you could return the foundation also.  Retailer would be foolish to stick a customer with a foundation they don't want.  The SleepEZ organic line I'm sure would be all natural latex (or 97% natural or whatever the highest they can make it).   Keep in mind these layered latex mattresses are more DIY.  You will unwrap and handle layers of latex to put it together or to move.  Rolling them back up is a litte tough as I found out yesterday.  Latex is very springy, strong foam.  When you unwrap it, it will lay out immediately.  It resists rolling up cause it's like a spring, especially the denser latex. 

Reply #24 Oct 6, 2011 12:26 PM
slpngoc wrote:

1) No.  The blended latex would fall under the 'Latex mattress line'.  That is either all natural Dunlop or blended talalay.  The other option is the 'Organic latex' line which all natural talalay latex which has a premium price.

2) I'll try to describe best as possible.  To me latex is 'springy' foam.  You push on it and it pushes back, pronto.  The mattress has a bouncy feel as when you go to get up, it kinda helps push you off the edge a little.  Far as I can tell, I don't think latex molds around a body as much as memory foam.  On my box spring, I did notice a bowing of mattress towards the center.   When I layed towards the edge to test it, it was hard to lay there, felt a little off balance.  Same on both sides.  I just saw no advantage with the latex mattress over the Tempurpedic, overall less comfortable.  The Tempurpedic has a very solid, stable feeling I like.  I had a polyester type of mattress pad on the lates and also the cover has some quilted wool in it and the cover itself is a fairly thick cotton.  Therefore, the feel of the latex / mattress surface was diminished.  The Tempurpedic only has a superthin protectabed on it and fitted sheet, so I get to feel the memory foam a lot which I like.

3) If you didn't like a TP mattress set, you could return the foundation also.  Retailer would be foolish to stick a customer with a foundation they don't want.  The SleepEZ organic line I'm sure would be all natural latex (or 97% natural or whatever the highest they can make it).   Keep in mind these layered latex mattresses are more DIY.  You will unwrap and handle layers of latex to put it together or to move.  Rolling them back up is a litte tough as I found out yesterday.  Latex is very springy, strong foam.  When you unwrap it, it will lay out immediately.  It resists rolling up cause it's like a spring, especially the denser latex. 

1) That link was actually for organic latex. They call it "Natural Organic Latex Mattress Queen 13,000 Select Sleep" and it seems to be top of their line mattress. The price is pretty steep, but it's not all that much more expensive than TP memory foam. I'd put them in the same category pricewise.

2) Could it be that you felt the latex mattress you got (blended tallalay) was springy was because it was...well...blended? From what I read...blended latex may have this characteristic as oppose to organix (well, 97% organic) latex? The more it's blended with syntetic latex the more "springy" it gets from what I understand? I will check memory foam in TP mattresses out, but I'm not sure I'm crazy about idea of a mattress "hugging" me from all directions. Could be a good feeling or could feel a little crrepy. I'll have to test it out.

3) Good to know the foundation is also refundable. I suppose whether they come and take it or you take it to the store yourself will depend on specific's store policy not necessarily TP return policy?

Regards,

-Tony.

Reply #25 Oct 6, 2011 2:27 PM
Tony_ wrote:

1) That link was actually for organic latex. They call it "Natural Organic Latex Mattress Queen 13,000 Select Sleep" and it seems to be top of their line mattress. The price is pretty steep, but it's not all that much more expensive than TP memory foam. I'd put them in the same category pricewise.

2) Could it be that you felt the latex mattress you got (blended tallalay) was springy was because it was...well...blended? From what I read...blended latex may have this characteristic as oppose to organix (well, 97% organic) latex? The more it's blended with syntetic latex the more "springy" it gets from what I understand? I will check memory foam in TP mattresses out, but I'm not sure I'm crazy about idea of a mattress "hugging" me from all directions. Could be a good feeling or could feel a little crrepy. I'll have to test it out.

3) Good to know the foundation is also refundable. I suppose whether they come and take it or you take it to the store yourself will depend on specific's store policy not necessarily TP return policy?

Regards,

-Tony.

2) I really don't know how all natural latex would have felt here at home.   This Cloud doesn't 'hug from all directions', it just feels really solid and still, especially on the heavy adjustable base (it weighs over 175 lbs!).   I still think, don't go too soft on memory foam mattresses.  It's easy to get drawn into the 12" Cloud Luxe which has a lot of memory foam.  Don't sink too far into the mattress.  I think it is best to go a little firmer.

I like feel of the Cloud.  I'm not crazy about the slow reacting, firmer foam on the Contour Select and Signature or the original bed or Advantage or Deluxe TP bed (both are discontinued).

Memory foam mattresses are completely flat, no 'tucks' like on most conventional mattresses.  I like a smooth surface.  The latex mattress on box didn't feel as solid to me, harder to get comfortable.

3) Every mattress seller has trucks for pickup of delivery.  Almost any customer wouldn't have a truck big enough to haul one.  Plus they don't have mattress bags. 

Retailers often require a matching foundation for a mattress.  I don't think you'd want to put a new mattress on an old foundation anyway.   Maybe on a really good one if it's a good match.  Tempurpedics must go on their matching foundation.  I wouldn't put a Tempurpedic on a box spring, no way. 

FYI, see www.beddingcomponents.com  Around here all of the S brand boxes are L&P 'semi-flex'(R) innards.  Original Mattress Factory seems to use a different type of L&P box component, kind of like a spring.

Springs could sag, so don't use them anymore.   A few high-end mfrs still make true box springs like McCroskey, Kluft, etc... but they are rare and cost a fortune.  Boxes cost over $1k.

This message was modified Oct 6, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #26 Oct 7, 2011 12:03 AM
I too wanted my latex bed to be as natural as possible.  Three months ago, I decided on the Savvy Rest as I was able to get a discount (I spent $5k on bed and mattress).  I would have purchased an equivalent SleepEZ if I had not gotten a discount.

I was able to try the Savvy mattress at a local store.  The Talalay was too plush for me and I went with Firm Medium Soft Dunlop 10" Serenity in Queen.  The mattress feels a bit firmer than the one I tried in the store.  I have it on <a href="http://www.amenityhome.com/furniture/reclaimed-wood-bedroom-furniture/amenity-muir-bed.html">this platform bed</a>.  The mattress does not have any issues with feeling different at the edge of the bed.  It feels perfectly flat no matter where I sleep.  I replaced a waterbed so I didn't have a suitable frame/box spring to try with the latex.  The mattress softened up a bit after 2-3 weeks making it really comfortable.  I am very happy with my mattress.

I think the base you use can make a difference in the feel of a mattress.

Recent Posts