Need a topper for new Serta Innerspring
Aug 21, 2012 7:45 PM
My new Serta isn't anything like the old one that lasted 8 years.  I can squish this one together with my hands and thought, at first, I had received a foam mattress by mistake.  It's hard to believe it has the advertised 700 plus coils.  It was one of the mid-range models, (Vanessa II cushion firm at Sears) with a 10 yr warranty so I thought I was getting something substantial.  I can't use the warranty since it's not defective.  I got it 60% off with free shipping and couldn't do better with an exchange.

After a week, buyer's remorse is hitting me hard.  I was expecting the support and refreshing coolness and springiness of the previous serta but this is like crawling onto a board with padding.  Have all the mattress companies gone foam crazy?  I think this model has pocket coils but they must be buried in foam. If it doesn't offer much in the way of comfort or support, can I at least count on it lasting several years? - I want to get my misery's worth.

Perhaps a higher-end topper will make this bed comfortable.  I already have a 2" topper with fitted cover I can use but don't like the heat issues.  Does a high density latex or cool gel topper sound like a good idea?  I used to buy high-density foam, throw a sheet over it and call it my bed when I was younger.  Now I'm starting to think I just need to get the raw materials and make a simple bed of my own.

Any ideas about toppers would be welcome.  Geez, I didn't even know what a topper was until I started shopping for a mattress this year.  It sounds to me like mattresses have gone downhill in quality and they dreamed up pillowtops and toppers to cover a multitude of sins. 

Re: Need a topper for new Serta Innerspring
Reply #5 Aug 23, 2012 9:45 PM
You sound an awful lot like me. I didn't know what toppers were until last year, when I went mattress shopping for the first time in over 15 years, and soon learned that there is a huge topper business which is probably booming because of the lousy, junky mattresses being sold for outrageous prices. In order not to have a cheap, thick foam pillowtop or plush finish that would cave in within months, I had to buy a firm mattress that left my arms numb and spend yet MORE money to customize it to suit. No choice, really, unless you're a kid and can sleep on anything.

It all came as quite a shock to me, and It's only because I found  this forum - in my desperate search for answers -  that I get a good night's rest now.

Reply #6 Aug 23, 2012 11:50 PM
The big mattress companies are putting out a crap product these days to say the least. The mattress companies use different names and coverings for the same mattress so it makes it impossible to comparison shop locally. I have a Sealy Posturpedic that I bought and immediately put a memory foam topper on. I recently started using it without the topper and realized immediately that it was a horrible mattress and had me in pain in the morning. So I am back to memory foam topper and have been researching a couple of options. For a topper you can go with latex, memory foam or the new gel memory foam. Latex would be my first choice, but is pricey. It appears that Latex International makes the best latex for bedding from my research. Memory foam is another choice, but I would be sure to purchase at least a five pound density foam for durability and you will have to figure out a solution for the heat if it is a problem for you. There are quite a few covers and quilting you can use for this. Next is the gel memory foam which is fairly new and I am a bit hesitant of it because what I have seen is only a four pound foam and I would worry about longevity.

I have heard good things about SleepEZ and you have a good idea with getting a topper from them and adding to it later for a full latex mattress. They sell their mattress covers separately so you can buy a couple layers and the cover when you get the cash. 

Another option is a local mattress maker. You would be surprised that there are small companies who make mattresses that are of a great quality for a fair price. I honestly had never heard of this until recently when I was doing my research. So if you like a nice innerspring mattress, this may be the option for you.

Reply #7 Aug 24, 2012 1:38 AM
Thanks for all the ideas.  I'll look into a local mattress maker.  I think I need to give my wallet a rest and make another run at it after a cooling off period or when I've recovered from my breakdown (whichever comes first).

In the 2 months since my Serta of 8 years went flat, I've bought a cheap 2" topper, a 13" Signature mattress (in a bag) from Walmart, then a 4" memory foam topper, and finally this sham Serta innerspring mattress that is little better than the one I junked.  I'm exhausted. 

BTW, the Signature mattress wasn't bad for $289 with free store pickup.  My main objection to it was that it had a pillowtop.  But I've since learned that any cheap mattress these days needs a pillowtop or topper to disguise how uncomfortable it really is.  Not sure this will last but it is 20lbs heavier than the Serta and seems more substantial.  It's in the guest room.

I think I'll look into really dense foam and see whether I can put off buying the dream latex bed for awhile.  One of the best mattresses I ever had was a simple foam mattress made for bunk beds.  It was just a 4" slab of really dense foam covered with some sort of durable fabric.  I've gained a few lbs since then though. 

I keep reliving the moment in my driveway that I nearly refused delivery of the Serta when I squeezed it together with my hands and it felt like a cheap foam mattress.  I thought there was a mistake and we double-checked tags and paperwork.  I'm close to filing a complaint with the State Attorney General, Consumer Protection Agency, BBB, etc... 

We need reform in the mattress industry.

This message was modified Aug 24, 2012 by QuibbleMoth
Reply #8 Aug 31, 2012 11:21 AM
Follow-Up:  Sears sent a delivery team to pick up the mattress and gave me a full refund.  I thought I was stuck with the Serta beast but Sears made a return effortless.  No restocking or pick-up fee - in fact, I didn't even lose the shipping on the refund.  Very pleased with Sears and how easy they made it for me.

I've narrowed my search for a new mattress down to Saatva or Ezsleep Latex.  Since I don't like the feel of foam, I'm leaning towards the Saatva innerspring.  I'm not a fan of pillowtop but it's probably better quality and attached differently than the cheap ones I've seen.   Another reason to pause, is shipping is $270 to Iowa.

Meanwhile, I'm sleeping on a 20 year old Sealy twin innerspring that is still firm and bouncy.  I nearly fell off one night but I prefer it to the full size mattress in a bag I got from Walmart.  (it's a close call though)  It seems like the Walmart 13" Signature Club mattress is comparable to a mid-range Serta for 1/5 the price and it is good backup.

Anyone not like the Saatva's pillowtop?  I've yet to find a negative review.

Reply #9 Sep 2, 2012 2:27 PM
If you are looking at a latex mattress may I suggest you take a look at the products offered by SleepEZ? In doing my research I have found review after review raving about their customer service and product. They will allow you to swap out a layer if it isn't right for you and also allow you to return it for a $99 flat fee. You can have different softnesses per side so you can customize the bed to you and your partners preferences. Also their latex is manufactured by Latex International.

I am in no way affiliated with SleepEZ, just done a ton of research on latex mattresses and have seen them time and again as one of the highest reviewed latex mattresses and the best price. Good luck on your search.

Recent Posts