Need advice for quality mattress + topper
Jun 5, 2012 11:04 PM
Hi all,

I'm slowly beginnig to educate myself on mattress (mostly the hard way -- my $2000 piece of junk sleep number is my 3rd bed that I'll be returning and cutting my losses on).  I'm finally at a point where I think the best option would be to get a good quality, very firm mattress and then put a high quality topper on it to make it feel softer (which my wife greatly prefers).

Wondering if anyone can offer some suggestions?  I've been looking at this one: http://www.us-mattress.com/simmons-tomahawk-firm-queen.html

Not too expensive, looks to be firm, and has lots of positive reviews.  Would that be a descent choice?

As for a topper, where's a good place to buy online?  Trustworthy with good customer service?  I figure there is always the old standby Costco b/c of their great return policy, and they have some sort of gel-memory foam topper, which sounds interesting, but is it any good?  Latex toppers seem to be very popular around here -- where is good place to buy them?  Someplace I can trust and get good customer service if I need it?

Thanks!

sstchur

Re: Need advice for quality mattress + topper
Reply #3 Jun 20, 2012 1:47 PM
Hello, Sstchur!

I would be very careful before you consider this route of action. Toppers are great options to extend the life of an older mattress but are not designed properly to be used with new, fully functional mattresses. They will change the way your weight distributes on the springs in a way unintended by the manufacturer. This is not an ideal prospect either for you or the mattress. Truly high quality toppers end up running nearly as much as the mattress itself, so it's not a money saving advantage either.

Whatever you decide to do, Goodluck and I hope it works out for you!

-A

Reply #4 Jun 20, 2012 3:10 PM

"Toppers are great options to extend the life of an older mattress but are not designed properly to be used with new, fully functional mattresses."

I'm not really understanding why this would be so? Toppers won't help an old saggy mattress. Going on the advice I got on this forum I bought quite a firm new mattress then softened it with toppers.

That way, I have a mattress that's not dipping or sagging in the middle so I have good support for my back (I sleep on my stomach) and the topper gives me the cradling softness I need.

Reply #5 Jun 23, 2012 4:09 PM
I also did what DoreenA suggested.  Its new, but I'm very happy with the comfort and support it gives.  That being said.  I put 2 toppers over the innercoil mattress.  The next time I create my mattress, I may just use high quality foam as my base...hopefully that won't be for at least 10 years.

Recent Posts