Neck pain from old pillow after sleeping on new latex mattress; TWO NEW QUESTIONS...HELP!
Mar 2, 2008 8:00 AM
I'm sleeping so good on my new latex mattress--it's been six days and I have no more back and hip pain. But I do wake up with neck pain. I didn't  realize when I changed to a mattress with more give, the old latex pillow would feel too thick/firm for my neck and head placement. I think I will have to get a thinner or softer latex pillow so my head is not up quite so high. On my hard old spring mattress, my thick latex pillow was just right. I'm going to check out the JC Penney zoned latex pillow some of you guys have mentined in the past. I'm not sure how they zone it, but hopefully it will be what the doctor ordered.

I am new in this forum and I do really appreciate the teaching and sharing of experiences that goes on here. I took a LOT of time to research and read and lay on a ton of mattresses before I bought the Springfree Latex mattress I now have. I agree with Cloud9 that those who aren't wired to be as research oriented as some of the rest of us or just don't have as much time can and should still benefit from being able to ask "beginner" questions and receive helpful answers.

To get a comprehensive understanding of a subject you guys understand like Phd's doesn't happen in a day or week or even a month of reading past posts. It takes time to grasp what is going on in the mattress industry--to truly "get it" about springs, PU foam, ILD's, layering, sleeping hot, toppers and the list goes on.  Now, add that to trying to understand what surfaces your body can best tolerate as it changes with age and envirornment. Both types of knowledge are accumulated over time--in my case a long time, all while living on Advil for morning pain. 

I feel for the uninitiated shopper of a new mattress in this day and time. Twenty three years ago we bought our first mattress and last week we bought our second. With 2 kids in college we could not afford even one mistake. I know it's not rocket science, but it is at least as bad as being a new driver and buying a used car without Consumer Reports and Carfax.

Thanks again to you all for taking the time to post answers to mine and other's questions.

PS to newbies: The old forum is chock full of relevant, wonderful info --check it out.

This message was modified Mar 4, 2008 by Sabra
Re: Neck pain from old pillow after sleeping on new latex mattress
Reply #5 Mar 2, 2008 5:29 PM
I appreciate all your remarks and responses. I'll post in the next couple days how my new JC Penney latex zoned pillow feels after sleeping on it. I picked it up today and the loft is about the same as my old latex but I can tell the ILD is much softer, around 20 is my guess. I do hope it solves the neck pain problem.

To answer 2 previous questions, my new bed is a Sealy Springfree latex, a model carried by Bassett (Bedford Knolls, an ultra plush, but no pillow top). This model is duplicated under several names--Meadowcrest and Rivercrest being 2 of them. For now I feel like Goldilocks...my old bed was too hard, my new bed I purchased from Costco (S & F Hainsworth, same as Sealy Spring Free with a box top) was way too soft. My one year old "used" Beford Knolls mattress from Craigs LIst seems just right, and at a great price.

And yes Beech2006--that is what pushed me over the line in deciding about an inner spring with added layers versus a complete king latex model with box springs for $750. (Sorry if it sounds like I'm gloating; I'm truly just very, very grateful for the blessing of saving $2,250.)

Beddybye, the link for the old forum is:  http://legacy.whatsthebest-mattress.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-mattress It's a pleasure to read and keep on learning from those folks, who are actually still posting here.

Sabra

Reply #6 Mar 4, 2008 9:01 AM
OK--I've had two nights on the JC Penney zoned latex pillow and.....I don't like it. It seems way too soft for the minimum amount of support to keep my neck and head aligned somewhat with my spine. I never understood what you posters meant about latex feeling 'marshmellowy" because my previous experience was with firmer latex. But this pillow does feel like a huge marshmellow that when my head is in the middle, it poofs up on both sides. It is not good for either back or side sleeping for me.

Please help me by answering  two questions:

1) Has anyone had any success with taking an old but good latex pillow and somehow shaving off and inch or so from the loft to make it thinner? It has a zipper cover that comes off. I love that pillow and have even taken it on vacations but I can't use it now with the latex mattress because when side sleeping my shoulder sinks a bit into the latex making it too high as well as when I sleep on my back.

2) Has anyone used a contour latex pillow that is like a wave--a higher part for the neck and a lower part for the head? It's usually made out of memory foam but I've seen some latex ones on the web. They are pricey and non-returnable. I tried a memory foam one a couple years ago, but it was way too hard. But I like the concept of the neck being supported with more loft especially in latex if it's not as soft as my Penney latex pillow or not as hard as memory foam. I'm particularly interested in the Rejuvenite Restora High Profile Firm? http://sleeplikeabear.com/pro1184999.html

Thanks in advance...you guys are the best!

Sabra

This message was modified Mar 4, 2008 by Sabra
Reply #7 Mar 4, 2008 2:12 PM
Have you tried any of the DOWN pillows made by Pacific Feather Co. sold at Costco stores? I LOVE mine! It was $34.99 for a standard size. It has just enough down inside not to be too firm and yet definitely supportive. I can manipulate it in any shape to conform to my neck and head. I don't care for latex pillows at all. I do have this one with shredded latex, but I still prefer down or down-around (feathers inside) pillows over that:

http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/cb/cb.asp?a=277887&kwtid=223586 <----Natura Dream Mate granulated latex

JCPenney Pacific Feather Down-Around pillow:

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=25436&CatID=36999&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=STY&ItemID=13cf55b&ProdSeq=1&Cat=down+%26+down+alt&Dep=Bed+%2b+Bath&PCat=pillows&PCatID=36997&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&ProdCount=18&RecPtr=&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&RefPageName=CategoryAll%252Easpx&RefCatID=36997&RefDeptID=25436&Page=1&CmCatId=25436|28950|36997|36999

Sabra wrote:
OK--I've had two nights on the JC Penney zoned latex pillow and.....I don't like it. It seems way too soft for the minimum amount of support to keep my neck and head aligned somewhat with my spine. I never understood what you posters meant about latex feeling 'marshmellowy&quot; because my previous experience was with firmer latex. But this pillow does feel like a huge marshmellow that when my head is in the middle, it poofs up on both sides. It is not good for either back or side sleeping for me.<p>Please help me by answering  two questions:</p><p>1) Has anyone had any success with taking an old but good latex pillow and somehow shaving off and inch or so from the loft to make it thinner? It has a zipper cover that comes off. I love that pillow and have even taken it on vacations but I can't use it now with the latex mattress because when side sleeping my shoulder sinks a bit into the latex making it too high as well as when I sleep on my back.</p><p>2) Has anyone used a contour latex pillow that is like a wave--a higher part for the neck and a lower part for the head? It's usually made out of memory foam but I've seen some latex ones on the web. They are pricey and non-returnable. I tried a memory foam one a couple years ago, but it was way too hard. But I like the concept of the neck being supported with more loft especially in latex if it's not as soft as my Penney latex pillow or not as hard as memory foam. I'm particularly interested in the Rejuvenite Restora High Profile Firm? http://sleeplikeabear.com/pro1184999.html</p><p>Thanks in advance...you guys are the best!</p><p>Sabra
Re: Neck pain from old pillow after sleeping on new latex mattress; TWO NEW QUESTIONS...HELP!
Reply #8 Mar 5, 2008 1:32 AM
SABRA.... Did the Latex pillow from JCPenney get rid of the neck discomfort?
I personally like a soft pillow, and I am interested to see if it helped the neck problem any because I am having the same problem.
Also, I don't see a Latex Pillow on the Jcpenney website, did you buy it online or in a store? If online please post a link so I can check it out!

Thanks,
ART
Re: Neck pain from old pillow after sleeping on new latex mattress; TWO NEW QUESTIONS...HELP!
Reply #9 Mar 5, 2008 5:14 AM
I have a down-surround pillow made by Beautyrest which I really love for side-sleeping. Very firm and supportive but all you feel against your cheek is soft, smooth down. However, when I had my latex SleepEZ mattress it never seemed comfortable. I don't know if it was too high or too low--nothing I did, raising it, lowering it, made any difference. I even tried using other pillows to no avail.

Now that I'm back on innersprings my favorite pillow is fine. The interesting thing is that when I put the Byrlane topper on the bed I noticed that once again I just couldn't get my head supported comfortably on the pillow. And that was only one inch of latex under one inch of visco. I haven't been able to figure this thing out. If anyone has some insight into this phenomenon I'd love to hear it.

Reply #10 Mar 5, 2008 9:11 AM
The JC Penney is the same as Sleeplikeabear.com zoned latex pillow plush. By the way, the customer service person at that site is very good at diagnosing pillow/neck issues and making suggestions over the phone. They have very competive pricing and ship free as well. They will also accept returns. She is the one who told me Penney's pillow is the same as hers. She also has the 'firm" version (recommended for me) and the best specialty selection on the web I could find. The Penney's pillow can be found:

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductList.aspx?DeptID=25436&CatID=37000&CatTyp=DEP&Cat=synthetic&Dep=Bed+%2b+Bath&PCat=pillows&PCatID=36997&RefPage=ProductList&Page=2&Sale=&ProdCount=15&RecPtr=&FirstCount=0&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&ViewByPages=&RefPageName=CategoryAll%252Easpx&RefCatID=36997&RefDeptID=25436&CmCatId=25436|28950|36997|37000

Beware, the Penney's pillow says Medium but it is NOT! It is soft, as confirmed by the Sleeplikeabear.com expert. They are only manufactured as soft and firm from LI, but Penney's slapped a "medium" title on it to appeal to the most consumers. They do not carry the firm. I bought mine in my store here.

Art, regarding my neck, the soft pillow helped alleviate some of the pain. I didn't have nearly as much pain upon awakening as when my old firm thick latex pillow pushed my head too high.  But when my head hit the center of the Penney's pillow, both sides rose up around my face! Weird experience. So, my head sunk down further than I needed. But, it was a more comfortable pillow in many respects, esp if you like very soft latex. I'm not keeping it. I went out yesterday and bought a Beautyrest latex at a department store. Even though I wanted a queen or king I settled for a standard because they make the larger ones so very high/thick compared to the standard. They are all the same latex ILD but much thicker therefore too high for me. I may have found the right pillow this time. It worked pretty well last night, no neck pain this morning, but I will have to have a few more nights to get used to it. It's hard because I'm both a back and side sleeper. I was amazed at the department store selection...pillow manufacturers have become really creative in the last 5 years since I last shopped for one!

Beddybye, I'll check out the down pillows you mentioned if my Beautyrest latex doesn't work out. I never thought down could give me the side sleeper support you have found using them. They also make down alternatives which are quite interesting and have those as one side of a two sided pillow at my dept. store. So many choices... Thank goodness for liberal return policies.

Reply #11 Mar 5, 2008 4:39 PM
I'm not sure why latex would alter the way your pillow might feel. I just know I can't stand the feel of latex under my head. I still have three of those darn pillows! I gave one to my 15 year old daughter and she loves it. Feels like a giant, bouncy sponge to me. It pushes against my head too much.

I have both the down-around feather (surround) pillow and the 100% down (medium density) by Pacific Feather Co. I actually prefer the 100% down because it's a bit firmer and denser. But I wouldn't want it any harder. The other one is nice, too. But, it's a little more difficult to keep it high enough for my head without constantly having to punch it or manipulate it. Since we have a King size bed, I just leave the down-around in the middle. My husband actually sleeps on one. He's not as finicky as me! :)
This message was modified Mar 5, 2008 by BeddyBye
Reply #12 Jun 9, 2008 3:22 PM
BeddyBye wrote:
I'm not sure why latex would alter the way your pillow might feel. I just know I can't stand the feel of latex under my head. I still have three of those darn pillows! I gave one to my 15 year old daughter and she loves it. Feels like a giant, bouncy sponge to me. It pushes against my head too much.

I have both the down-around feather (surround) pillow and the 100% down (medium density) by Pacific Feather Co. I actually prefer the 100% down because it's a bit firmer and denser. But I wouldn't want it any harder. The other one is nice, too. But, it's a little more difficult to keep it high enough for my head without constantly having to punch it or manipulate it. Since we have a King size bed, I just leave the down-around in the middle. My husband actually sleeps on one. He's not as finicky as me! :)

Well I was reading past postings and I too have noticed my much loved queen size latex pillow is now to hard and is causing pain now that I am sleeping on the latex toppers (2 nights now).  I just can't seem to get it right.  I bought a zoned latex pillow I haven't tried yet, but after reading this posting (from Sabra) about the pillow being too soft I am almost afraid to try it.
Reply #13 Jun 10, 2008 9:16 PM
I have slept on a latex pillow my whole life since the doctor told my mother when I was a baby that it was good for my allergies since I have had allergies all of my life.  Two years ago when my latex pillow had to be replaced, I tried so many other pillows and could not sleep well on them. Finally I ordered natural latex pillows and they are what I sleep on. I have several in my home and I am also using them for my bed shams.  I guess that is why there are so many types of pillows out there since we are all so different in our needs for comfort.
Reply #14 Jun 11, 2008 7:49 PM
Lynn, I removed the cover from my queen size latex pillow that was too firm, and it did make it softer and flatter for me.  I read (I think it was you) that you had to cut some of the latex off to lower the height.  If you ever have to get a new latex pillow try removing the cover like someone posted about.  They make the cover too tight, and it really makes the pillow firmer and higher.

I learn so much here :-)

Recent Posts