Neck pain from old pillow after sleeping on new latex mattress; TWO NEW QUESTIONS...HELP!
Mar 2, 2008 8:00 AM
I'm sleeping so good on my new latex mattress--it's been six days and I have no more back and hip pain. But I do wake up with neck pain. I didn't  realize when I changed to a mattress with more give, the old latex pillow would feel too thick/firm for my neck and head placement. I think I will have to get a thinner or softer latex pillow so my head is not up quite so high. On my hard old spring mattress, my thick latex pillow was just right. I'm going to check out the JC Penney zoned latex pillow some of you guys have mentined in the past. I'm not sure how they zone it, but hopefully it will be what the doctor ordered.

I am new in this forum and I do really appreciate the teaching and sharing of experiences that goes on here. I took a LOT of time to research and read and lay on a ton of mattresses before I bought the Springfree Latex mattress I now have. I agree with Cloud9 that those who aren't wired to be as research oriented as some of the rest of us or just don't have as much time can and should still benefit from being able to ask "beginner" questions and receive helpful answers.

To get a comprehensive understanding of a subject you guys understand like Phd's doesn't happen in a day or week or even a month of reading past posts. It takes time to grasp what is going on in the mattress industry--to truly "get it" about springs, PU foam, ILD's, layering, sleeping hot, toppers and the list goes on.  Now, add that to trying to understand what surfaces your body can best tolerate as it changes with age and envirornment. Both types of knowledge are accumulated over time--in my case a long time, all while living on Advil for morning pain. 

I feel for the uninitiated shopper of a new mattress in this day and time. Twenty three years ago we bought our first mattress and last week we bought our second. With 2 kids in college we could not afford even one mistake. I know it's not rocket science, but it is at least as bad as being a new driver and buying a used car without Consumer Reports and Carfax.

Thanks again to you all for taking the time to post answers to mine and other's questions.

PS to newbies: The old forum is chock full of relevant, wonderful info --check it out.

This message was modified Mar 4, 2008 by Sabra

Recent Posts