Natural vs. blended latex, yes again....
Apr 19, 2010 4:34 PM
I still am trying to figure out what to do!!  I have 3/4" Dunlopillo blended talalay 24ILD ish.  Under that is 1 1/2 23ILD LI blended.  Under that is O-stock 3" of unknown firm latex.  Obviously for over a year I have been in hip pain!!!  Side sleeper.

If I don't get relief soon I will be a walking zombie, oops I already am........

I want to know if natural will be better than what I have in blended. If I get the same ILD 24 or should I get 32.  I am so tired of trying things that don't work.

Maybe I am one of those that latex just doesn't work.  This is over a 12 year old flippable spring mattress.  This is my last try.

Re: Natural vs. blended latex, yes again....
Reply #5 Apr 21, 2010 10:02 PM
I ordered the queen size Blended Talalay Latex Posture V-Zone High Profile bed.  Specifications are 11-1/4" thick with organic cotton and wool cover.  The latex consists of four layers of selectable levels of firmness based on body height and weight.  It is selectable for each side of the bed so my husband can select a different firmness level based on his preference, height and weight.  I received notification about 10 minutes ago that it just shipped from the California factory.  I'm really excited to receive it.  My husband has been experiencing shoulder issues due to an injury and rarely sleeps well at night. 

I decided on a latex bed after staying at a resort a while back at a friend's timeshare.  We stayed in the guest room and when I got into bed, I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud.  The next morning, I stripped the bedding to see what the mattress was made of.  When I saw that it was latex, I knew that was the bed we needed to buy.  We have gone through purchasing several expensive mattresses over the last few years and I am hoping that this one will be THE one. I did a LOT of research on latex and memory foam beds before making this purchase.  Our son was disappointed as he had purchased a tempurpedic a few years back and really loves it.  He wanted us to purchase one as well, but after laying on them and doing the research, we felt the latex would suit us better.  I was concerned about all of the 'heat' issues I kept hearing about.  At this particular stage in my life, the very last thing I want to hear about is being extra warm while sleeping.  I can do that quite well on my own, thank you very much :) My husband just didn't care for that 'sinking' feeling you get on the full memory foam. 

Before ordering the Flobeds mattress, we went to a number of stores and the mattress leading the pack was the Serta Pure Escape at Mattress Firm and was selling for $3000. on sale.  Their return policy was in-store credit only with a restocking charge of somewhere around $100 (can't quite remember).  Since this was about the most expensive mattress in the store, if we ended up returning it, we would most likely lose money not only on the restocking but the negative difference on the replacement mattress as well.  I was very concerned about ordering anything this large on line until I began reading how happy everyone seemed to be with the Flobed mattresses and the company itself.  The real kicker was the exchange and return policy.  I can switch out unlimited number of individual pads for firmer or softer until I get the perfect combination and if I decide I just don't like it all at the end of the 90 days, I can ship the whole thing back.  The shipping costs are about what I would have paid for restocking fees and I get my money back instead of some in-store credit where they have me by the throat to buy from them only. 

The other internet site that was in very strong contention was Habitat Furnishings at http://www.habitatfurnishings.com/ They also offerred a very nice 180 day return policy and their website provided a lot of really good information in my research.  They only sell 100% natural and do talk up quite a bit about the wonders of the all natural.  This is in large part why I was leaning toward the all natural.  I chose Flobed because of the flexibility in creating our own level of firmness on each side of the bed.

I did call Flobed and talked to Dewey for awhile because I was concerned about how to account for the right firmness for my husband's shoulder injury and his need to sleep on his back because he uses a CPAP machine for sleep apnea.  I had been researching all about the natural vs. blended and Dunlop vs. Talalay and had concluded that 100% natural was the way to go.  Flobeds sells both blended and 100% natural so I asked Dewey about the differences.  I thought they could be more objective since they sold both, although I expected them to tell me that the 100% natural was sooooo much better....and incidentally about $300 more expensive.  I was wrong.  He said that tests show them to stand up equally well although Talalay stands up better than Dunlop to wear and tear.  He himself owns the blended and can't tell the difference.  He said they do not hear any issues about odors in the blended so we decided to save the $300 and go with the blended. 

I sort of feel like I just graduated from college with my shiny new degree!!  I have all of this 'head' knowledge about different kinds of latex and foam.  I know how they are manufactured, chemically treated etc ad nauseum but I have absolutely no practical experience.  I can't wait to be able to speak from personal experience and I am truly hoping to be able to say wonderful things about my new bed.  I will, however, faithfully promise to report actual experience when my bed arrives ;  The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.......stay tuned!

Reply #6 Apr 21, 2010 10:18 PM
Leo3, I had to look up if Dunlopillo uses the Talalay process and it does which is one of the reasons I like the soft topper. I also like that it is 1" thick so it gives a tiny bit of softness over the Extra Firm and Super Firm latex layers I chose.  I could not handle anything thicker as a cushion I found out and it is perfect for me.  Thanks for remembering that I did buy the Brylane topper after experimenting wiwith a too firm Dunlap Topper that was 2" that Dave sent me and then a 1.5" smelly latex topper that I am not sure what it was made out of that Dave sent me.  I love my FloBed but I had to buy my own topper since being so petite I had specific needs. I also like that the topper has no seam but it was way bigger than my Queen bed so I had to cut it down.

http://www.dunlopillo.co.uk/why/latex/index.aspx

Reply #7 Apr 21, 2010 10:31 PM
Summer, I love my Flobeds latex bed so much.  I am not quite 5 feet so that was my only issue that I wanted a topper that was slimmer than what came with the mattress. If Brylane did not have that sale, Dave would have found me a 1" topper since were were experimenting together since he really cared about me being comfortable especially after my car accident. He even let me exchange two of my X-Firm natural latex cores for Super Firm blended  latex cores since I needed even a firmer bed due to the herniated disks I now have from being hit so hard from behind.  I was surprised that I was not allergic to the blended Talalay latex (I had problems with 100% man-made latex pillows that did not use the Talalay process and had to give the pillows away so I had ordered initially the natural latex).  The Talalay process really cleans the latex well since I have a lot of chemical sensitivities and had to return a conventional bed to a local store due to the Polyurethane, the fire retardant chemicals and the processing on the suede on top all causing me to get so ill from the outgassing.

Dave at Flobeds let me go beyond my 90 day period when when found out about the car accident. I now have my bed set up just right for me. It is so comfortable and I am glad I was able to have the time to find the right latex cores that would be good for my back.  Dewey also was very helpful.   Dave actually sent me the toppers paying the shipping both ways when he heard about my car accident.  That one topper he found for me that was 1.5" thick was not one he normally sells and he sent me a postage paid label to send it back. FloBeds even let me switch the legs to make the bed taller when I bought a tall headboard, as well as sending me overnight headboard brackets so the delivery people could install the Wesley Allan iron headboard.  I have been very happy with the customer service and caring people that work at FloBeds. 

I am excited for you and your husband in your new purchase. I can't wait to hear the details when you new bed arrives. 

Reply #8 Apr 22, 2010 12:25 AM
Lynn, Interesting link.  It seems Hilding Anders bought Dunlopillo (after another company bought them first), then a sister company took over, and another sister company, about 4 times.  It is amazing how many times it changed hands.  They are now 2 mattress firms it seems, they don't make latex for anyone else but them in Europe somewhere.  Too bad.  I wonder what happen, it seemed like a solid company at one time.  But like other companies they keep having takovers, selling to one company after another.  So they didn't go out of business, even though in reality they did, it was taken over by several companies.  Sad.

I am not sure who Natura uses now (was Dunlopillo) maybe it is Latex International, yeah it is because it is on LI product page as a seller of their latex....

Summer I have had a full education of latex too, LOL, but like you said you don't know till you actually slept on.  Since have never tried natural I don't have clue what that is like.  Blended latex doesn't bother my allergies either, but the blooming flowers outside surely do!  Yes, please do tell us all about your experiences.

Reply #9 Apr 22, 2010 12:36 AM
Natura uses LI for their Talalay latex, and Latex Green for the Dunlop
Reply #10 Apr 22, 2010 1:34 AM
Good catch Budgy.  Thanks smiley

Do you have an opinion on natural vs. blended talalay latex?  Don't think I have heard your opinion on that.  I know you sell a brand we in the US don't get.  Can't remember, so I won't even try to guess.  I remember the picture you posted with the latex wrapped in sheer fabric.  Do you sell both natural and blended?  Do you have any experience with Latex International in Canada?

Do you feel like you are being bugged?wink

This message was modified Apr 22, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #11 Apr 22, 2010 10:54 AM
Aaaarrgghhh.... this "blended vs. natural" thing is driving me crazy. Of the small samples I've managed to acquire, I  like the look and feel of the naturals over the blended. But then, I'm only laying my hand and cheek on them, squeezing them and looking at them. I probably won't notice a difference when they are encased in a cover and I lay my whole body on them. So I keep going back to square one.
Reply #12 Apr 22, 2010 1:02 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Good catch Budgy.  Thanks smiley

Do you have an opinion on natural vs. blended talalay latex?  Don't think I have heard your opinion on that.  I know you sell a brand we in the US don't get.  Can't remember, so I won't even try to guess.  I remember the picture you posted with the latex wrapped in sheer fabric.  Do you sell both natural and blended?  Do you have any experience with Latex International in Canada?

Do you feel like you are being bugged?wink

I used to sell a lot of blended latex....now a days the only blended I really do would in used in coil mattresses, or one mattress Natura makes with a 3" memory foam top on a 6" blended talalay core.  Its not that we were saying blended was a poor product, we actually never had any issues with it, whether it came from Latex International or Dunlopillo from back in the day.  With our all latex mattresses that we actually show on the showroom we went all natural, some of which would be talalay over dunlop cores....truth be told we have never had any issues with the latex sagging in any event.  we just thought the natural was worth the premium over the life span of the product.  it should be more resistant to bacterial growth, which I think when you are looking at a mattress that should be 15 year minimum investment, this holds some merit. 

Reply #13 Apr 22, 2010 3:45 PM
cynicaljones wrote:

Aaaarrgghhh.... this "blended vs. natural" thing is driving me crazy. Of the small samples I've managed to acquire, I  like the look and feel of the naturals over the blended. But then, I'm only laying my hand and cheek on them, squeezing them and looking at them. I probably won't notice a difference when they are encased in a cover and I lay my whole body on them. So I keep going back to square one.

Who did you get samples of natural from?  I asked one place they didn't have any, another charges $12 for samples!

Reply #14 Apr 22, 2010 4:04 PM
Savvy Rest sent  a small sample each of their Dunlop and natural Talalay, plus a swatch of their cover, wool and all. It's very, very nice. A bit outside my budget. Someone else sent other samples, also very nice, but I don't remember, offhand, who that was.

Recent Posts