My proposed DIY foam mattress--help or advice welcomed!
Aug 4, 2009 2:29 PM
Ok, so this is my proposed mattress. Keep in mind that one of my main concerns is motion transfer, and the other is cost (that's why we're not doing latex right now--oh, and it seemed a bit more motion-y to me).
It will be a king-size mattress, we're not big people, and we sleep mostly on our sides, *sometimes* our backs--I like some 'cush' to sink into, boyfriend isn't as crazy about that:

5" Lux-HQ (bottom)--maybe get 2" and 3" of this for more ease of handling?
2" HD36-HQ (mid)--I'm a little worried about the LUX being too hard, but maybe this HD36-HQ isn't necessary?
2 1/2" Poly or Super-soft Eggcrate (wish i could find a 'medium' one--*between* ILD 12 and 36!)
Cuddlebed if needed

Should i order twin-size of everything for 1) ease of moving layers around and 2) motion transfer--or will splitting it not affect the motion transfer too much?

Thanks to everyone for their helpful comments--it made figuring this out much easier!

P.S. I'm going for PU foam because, mainly, i need to reduce motion transfer, and i can't afford latex right now. I could *maybe* afford the latex from FBM, but in my (limited) experience the latex seemed to provide more motion...I'm a little nervous about buying this mattress without trying it out first, but i THINK it's the best for lack of motion, and for cost. If i'm missing something--related to motion--let me know!! ;)

P.S.S. I'm a little nervous about the 'toxicity' of PU foam, but not sure i have other alternatives right now!
Re: My proposed DIY foam mattress--help or advice welcomed!
Reply #1 Aug 4, 2009 3:49 PM
electracat

It seems we are almost at the same time in our purchase.  I am really ready to go ahead and get something but not sure what to get just yet.  I was thinking of going the DIY approach like you and going with something almost identical to your set up.

However, after a lot of research and reading some reviews here I am thinking of going with  overnightmattress.com mainly b/c of their return policy and free shipping both ways.

Right now I am torn b/w which setup to go with.  I am ordering a queen size.

The PureBliss Energy-Max:  11" total height $750
6" M Grade
3" memory
1" air foam
1" fiber
I dont really like the feel of too much MF so I am going to make the change to 8" M Grade and 1" MF

They also have the Cool-Max: 9" total height $600
6" M Grade
3" MF
It doesnt say it on the website but I called and they can do the same thing offering 8" M Grade and 1" MF on that.  I am thinking about doing that and adding a latex topper if needed.

However, the price difference b/w the two is only $150 and you get 2 pillows, pillow cases, sheets, and mattress cover for free when you buy the Energy Max and really I would end up spending at least an additional 100 on a 1" latex topper.  I am trying to get more info on the air foam and see what that actually is.

Well I was making one last call before posting this and trying to find out about what type of foam the air foam is and I lucked out and spoke to Vlad.  Someone here already said they spoke to him and how helpful he was.  He was extremely helpful to me as well and suggested I go with the PureBliss Bamboo which has 3" of air foam instead of 1".  Its a little more expensive but he explained how I could try that mattress and get to try 3 mattresses by unzipping the cover and changing the configuration.  He said I could flip the core and basically feel what it would be like to have the 8" core and 1" MF b/c the 1" MF under the cover wouldnt really feel like much anyways.  He also said I could remove the air foam and feel what the CoolMax would feel like not having any of the air foam.  He said this was the best way to try them all and if we needed to make an exchange I would be better able to do that without the guessing. 

I plan to order the PureBliss Bamboo and I will update this posting and let everyone know how it goes. 
Reply #2 Aug 4, 2009 4:36 PM
It's a bit nerve-wracking, isn't it? I can't really do memory foam as i think our room is too cold, most of the time, and i can't say i love the stuff. But OMC' return policy is very tempting. Just curious--can you get, say, a 5" m-grade core with 1" memory foam on top? I didn't know just how flexible they were, there.

Just curious--What was going to be your DIY setup?
Reply #3 Aug 4, 2009 4:57 PM
I dont know about 5" core w/ 1" MF but I know you can do the 8" core w/ 1" MF.  I was originally going to do that but Vlad swears that it will be too firm for me.  I really like a plush feel as Im a stomach and side sleeper.  I also really dislike the feeling of the MF grabbing you and again he said I didnt have to worry about it.  I looked at so many other configurations and after all of it I just couldnt decide b/c I couldnt try it.  Even in the stores I was getting frustrated, especially with the terrible salespeople they have there.  The ONM return policy is basically what sold it for me.  I could get a similar mattress other places for a bit cheaper but they all want you to foot the bill for the return.  Thats pretty expensive when youre talkin about a +100 lb box. 

I was pretty much thinking what you are for DIY with the exception of a latex topper instead of egg-crate.  I was having a hard time deciding what to go with.  I just hate to think Id pay $200 for a piece I dont need.

I would recommend calling and asking them.  Why would you want 5" and 1" instead of 8" and 1"?
Reply #4 Aug 4, 2009 5:27 PM
I'd think about a 5" core, instead of 8", just because i don't think 8" core is necessary for support, and that way i could add more toppers...But i could be mistaken in my thinking!

So, the salesguy said the MF won't have the qualities we don't like in it...Is this because there's only 1" of it? Does it seem less grippy when there's only an inch or two of the stuff?

thanks!
Reply #5 Aug 4, 2009 5:32 PM
one more question--how does one return a big, heavy mattress? The website says to put it in a box, and ship it back...HOW does one get it into a box, and HOW do i ship it back??
Reply #6 Aug 4, 2009 5:55 PM
He actually convinced me to get the regular 6" core and 3" MF by giving me the option of flipping it and trying it with no MF inside the cover.  He said if they have to do a return they use a shipping company to come pick up the mattress and ship the other via Fed-Ex.  I am skeptical about the MF too but I also like a plush feel.

Do you like a really firm mattress?
Reply #7 Aug 4, 2009 6:02 PM
ah, i guess that makes returns a little easier!

i don't like a really firm mattress; i just want to make sure i have enough support--that will last a while--under me. Which is why LUX-HQ has been recommended over the HD36-HQ. Then i'd like to soften that up with a few inches of toppers.

I wish i could find more mattresses made from HR foam and soft toppers (but not memory foam) without doing it myself!
Reply #8 Aug 4, 2009 6:05 PM
Why are you against memory foam?  I dont like the way it grabs you and Im afraid it will be too hot but the sales guy swears it wont be an issue like Tempurepedic. 

I am a stomach/side sleeper and afraid it will be too hard if I get too firm a core.  The ILD of the core at overnight is around 34 I think.
Reply #9 Aug 4, 2009 6:34 PM
I think that our room is too cold most of the year (we're up in the mountains, and don't keep heat on in the room); other than that--well, and the 'grippiness' of it--i wouldn't mind, especially if it's softer than Tempurpedic.

I'm confused about the core. A couple of other people who experimented with LUX and HD36 on this forum said that the HD36 was starting to lose support in the lumbar area...I definitely don't want that, but thought maybe a couple of inches of HD36 on top of the LUX core would be ok, and not be too hard. I could always replace it with LUX if need be. Confusing!!

Thought about getting the 7" OMC core, only, without the memory foam, but i can pay less than half the price at FBM for the same thing. Only thing is, i better like it because the return policy isn't good!
Reply #10 Aug 4, 2009 8:03 PM
I was mainly worried about the heat b/c we are in south Louisiana and it doesnt get cold too often.  I also read that the HD36 may break down over time.  I dont know what kind of warranty FBM has on their foam. 

I think I am going to go with the 6" core and 3" MF and 3" foam cover from OMC.  Its $850 but I think its worth it for the warranty.

What kind of platform bed are you looking at?

Recent Posts