My proposed DIY foam mattress--help or advice welcomed!
Aug 4, 2009 2:29 PM
Ok, so this is my proposed mattress. Keep in mind that one of my main concerns is motion transfer, and the other is cost (that's why we're not doing latex right now--oh, and it seemed a bit more motion-y to me).
It will be a king-size mattress, we're not big people, and we sleep mostly on our sides, *sometimes* our backs--I like some 'cush' to sink into, boyfriend isn't as crazy about that:

5" Lux-HQ (bottom)--maybe get 2" and 3" of this for more ease of handling?
2" HD36-HQ (mid)--I'm a little worried about the LUX being too hard, but maybe this HD36-HQ isn't necessary?
2 1/2" Poly or Super-soft Eggcrate (wish i could find a 'medium' one--*between* ILD 12 and 36!)
Cuddlebed if needed

Should i order twin-size of everything for 1) ease of moving layers around and 2) motion transfer--or will splitting it not affect the motion transfer too much?

Thanks to everyone for their helpful comments--it made figuring this out much easier!

P.S. I'm going for PU foam because, mainly, i need to reduce motion transfer, and i can't afford latex right now. I could *maybe* afford the latex from FBM, but in my (limited) experience the latex seemed to provide more motion...I'm a little nervous about buying this mattress without trying it out first, but i THINK it's the best for lack of motion, and for cost. If i'm missing something--related to motion--let me know!! ;)

P.S.S. I'm a little nervous about the 'toxicity' of PU foam, but not sure i have other alternatives right now!
Re: My proposed DIY foam mattress--help or advice welcomed!
Reply #11 Aug 4, 2009 9:06 PM
Okay, after looking at this for wayyyyy too long I am back to looking at FBM again.  I am thinking along the same lines as you were now just b/c of the price.

5" LUX-R $120
3" HD36-R $72
1" 20 ILD Latex topper $75
Mattress cover $45
and a cuddlebed found at linensource for $44

I can do the whole setup for well under $500 and then have the freedom to play with the arrangement

I am thinking of getting the cover an inch or two bigger than needed if I want to add eggcrate or more latex.  I figure I can play with this configuration much more and still come out way ahead.  I really liked the idea of OMC but after thinking about it more, its just way too much to spend even with the exchange. 

In case you are wondering about the selection of -R over the -HQ, my main reasoning is the cost.  I figure that if I dont know exactly what Im getting, Id better get the cheaper and if it wears out I will replace it with the HQ but at least at that point I will know what I want. 
Reply #12 Aug 4, 2009 9:19 PM
hahaha...Funny that you've changed again, but i totally understand it.

I'm thinking about a latex topper, too, only because they don't seem to have pu foam with an ILD between 12 and 36!

Are you getting 3" of the HD36 to have more of a 'base'? From what i understand it's still very hard, but i guess a wee bit softer...Just not sure if it's too much base? I don't want to confuse you further, though...!!

Anyway, yes, i think you'll have a good setup to play around with, and you really can't go wrong with the base/mid-layer you're getting.

Now you have to get it fast so you can tell us what it's like!! :)
Reply #13 Aug 4, 2009 9:42 PM
What do you mean "too much of a base"?  Are you afraid that it may be too firm b/c of the thickness?  I cant imagine that it would have much of a difference if you just add more latex on top.  What you think?
Reply #14 Aug 4, 2009 9:46 PM
On another note, do you know alternate places to get 3 or 4 sided zippered covers other than FBM?  I would like something like their terry cloth cover but in different thicknesses.  Any ideas?  What are you planning to use?
Reply #15 Aug 4, 2009 11:03 PM
sorry--i don't think too much base is a negative thing, just wondered if it was necessary (especially when being financially prudent). But i would think it would hold up longer, being thicker...or am i making that up? A place in NYC, DixieFoam, has mattresses that are 5 1/2" of ILD 36, with 2 1/2" of super-soft foam on top. They have been hailed as a great choice, but there's a lot less base on those! Arggggh!

Sure you don't want to go for the LUX-HQ? I read that they're 2.8 density can range from 2.2-2.8; i'd hate to get anything lower than the 2.0 density that the 'R" claims to be...

Regarding covers, i don't know! I know someone talked about them somewhere on this forum...Try doing a google search if you haven't already.
Reply #16 Aug 4, 2009 11:47 PM
Should i order twin-size of everything

Only if you want it to be 5" shorter than a king or queen sized mattress.

Twins are 75 inches and kings/queens are 80 inches long
Reply #17 Aug 5, 2009 10:26 AM
You're right--i forgot about that! I guess it would be x-tra long twins!
Reply #18 Aug 6, 2009 9:03 AM
electracat:

Okay so I was out near a few mattress stores yesterday and used the opportunity to compare a couple different setups.  It was funny that at one place the regional manager was there doing sales training and I know he picked me as the victim that he would use as an example of how to make the sale.  Anyways, that being said, he was really nice but too pushy for me.

I went in and told him exactly the type of mattress I am looking for, something in the area of plush-firm, and that I wanted to try some foam mattresses and then the comparable spring mattresses starting at most expensive going down.

Like I said he was very helpful and after trying all the foam mattresses, the one I liked the most was a support core with a few inches of memory foam on top of it, then about an inch or so of fiber covering. 

I also tried a full latex core with a latex topper, this felt too spongy and soft on the top.  I didnt like the feeling of latex all the way through.

And I tried a foam core with a mix of latex and MF on top.  It wasnt bad but a bit too mushy on top, almost like a pillow top of foam.  I didnt really like that feeling.  So who would have thought I liked the heavy MF on top of a core this whole time?  The cost was around $2200 for that, it was a Serta I believe.

Anyways, I knew what I needed to know at that point.  I asked the salesman to show me some other spring mattresses that were similar in feeling and he showed me a couple and eventually cutting the price of a high end Sealy in half trying to sell me.  I would have taken the deal and just been done with it but in order to get that deal he was taking away the warranty and any comfort gaurantee they had.  I am not going for that and no sales pitch will convince me otherwise.

So having said all of that.  I think I know what Im doing.  I am going to buy 3 inches of LUX and 3 inches of HD36.  That way I can flip them around if I want firmer or softer.  On top of that I will be 3 inches of heavy MF and then a zipper cover and then a 1.5 inch cuddle bed.  I think this will give a similar feel to what I had with the one I liked.  I am hoping the cuddle bed feels similar to the cover.  If I still feel like the memory foam is too much I can always get some heavy latex to put on top.

Maybe I will just get 2 inches of MF at first.  I guess Im still trying to decide, haha
Reply #19 Aug 6, 2009 11:33 AM
That's awesome that you were able to try them out! I like your idea for the base--3" of each.

How does a memory foam topper feel? Might i like it more than a full MF mattress?
Reply #20 Aug 6, 2009 3:58 PM
I dont think the temperature issue of MF is as big an issue are you are thinking it will be.  And to be honest, I hate the feel of a full MF mattress, especially a tempurepedic without a cover on it.  I really like the 1 to 2 inches of fiber cover.  It keeps me from having that feeling that the MF is grabbing me.  I thought I would like the latex top more but actually like the MF better.  I figure at the price from FBM I can do some experimentation and get it just right.

Recent Posts