"My Mattress Buying Nightmare" (Learn from my mistakes!)
Jan 30, 2012 5:23 PM
Hi,

I've been posting parts of my mattress buying saga on this site for months.

Now, I have finally written the entire story on my blog...http://chronicfatigue.typepad.com/mj/

If you are shopping for a mattress, it is required reading!

Re: "My Mattress Buying Nightmare" (Learn from my mistakes!)
Reply #9 Feb 1, 2012 10:41 PM
RLTW wrote:

Ok, not to be controversial, but that blog post is pretty pathetic. I just got back from a surgical unit in Afghanistan where as an officer and a surgeon, I was lucky enough to sleep on a very worn out air mattress on a military issued cot. Most of the men and woman serving here have it much worse… No shopping around for something plush and soft to sleep on... It’s the floor or the ground for most of them. Sorry you had such a hard time with such a pedestrian pursuit as finding a bed to sleep on. I truly felt for you when you had to suffer through "mattress death row…” You poor thing... How hard it must have been for you, walking from store-to-store with a Starbucks, lying on all those awful mattresses, and dealing with those horrible salespeople. I'm sure at the same time you were doing this, I was pulling fragments of an IED from some poor Marines’ shoulder and arm. If he’s lucky, he may have about 60% use of his right side after 18 months of painful PT.

My apologies to the forum for my post, I joined to learn more about selecting a mattress to sleep on, after being deployed for 6 months and sleeping in the conditions I mention above. I share my diatribe only as a vehicle to show all of us how trivial some things can be in the big picture

Thank you for your service.  On behalf of the entire what's-the-best-mattress community, I salute you & apologize for taking our mattress problems so seriously, when we really shouldn't even be discussing such matters- not while you're out there defending our country on an air bed of all things, for six months!  I think it's pretty obvious that our posts were directly equating mattress shopping to war, & that was inappropriate.  Thank you for providing some much needed perspective. 

Just whatever you do, please don't visit any forums that discuss high end a/v equipment, jewelry, or luxury autos etc.  If possible, the rants there might make you even more angry than you already are about a group of people looking for a mattress that doesn't hurt their backs at night.

/first world problems.

Re: "My Mattress Buying Nightmare" (Learn from my mistakes!)
Reply #10 Feb 2, 2012 12:35 AM
Yeah I do have to say out of respect to thank you for serving your country and sacrificing yourself so others can enjoy the freedoms we have.  

Please don't take one person complaining as them taking your service for granted.  

But two things you should not assume:

1. Tone - You have no idea the tone of Doreen's response, this is the internet. 

2. Literal translation of certain words or phrases like 'death row'...I assumed when I read the blog post that these were no doubt 'hyperbole' to make for a more interesting read.  I personally appreciated the use of it.  

I actually work with a vet that served for over 20 years, has done a lot of tours and a different perspective of the world and people than any normal civilian could ever have.  Now that he is retired from that, he now works in the mattress industry with us trying to do his part to solve these issues in the blog post (and make a good buck doing it of course).  

What a lot of your issues stem from is an inherent lack of transparency in our industry, I hope others read the blog post if not to serve as nothing but a warning for the potentially negative experience. 

Recent Posts