MY Nightmare
Oct 6, 2008 11:40 PM
Where do I begin??? I am exchanging my THIRD mattress, all 3 purchased @ Sleep Country, although it is clearly not the stores fault, and after reading posts in this forum ALL day, I have come to the conclusion it is the manufacturer who is at fault. The problem is they don't give cash refunds...only exchanges, so I can't go to other stores and am stuck trying to find one at their store, since they carry all the mainstream models which appears everyone has complaints about. I don't know what to do, but every night I DREAD going to bed and stay up until 2-3 in the morning and when I do finally fall asleep, I only get 4-5 hours sleep and when I try to get out of my torture chamber, I feel like someone beat me up.....literally! I do have arthritis and some degenerative issues going on, so I was thinking maybe it's not my bed but my physical condition in general.
This last mattress has a sink hole dead center which measured 1 3/4" by the inspector. I purchased this mattress in January 2006. It is a Sealy Posturepedic Pillow Top. I tried many mattresses before deciding on this one, and spent the required time, 5-15 minutes in different positions.
I know buying a mattress is a very personal experience, and no one can tell you which brand to buy, and that is why I came to this forum, to get input in regard to *Mattress* buying, but most of all COMFORT. I now know this mattress is WAY too soft for my body and that a firmer mattress is in order. Unfortunately the ones I'll be looking at are all pillow top/no flip mattresses.
Does anyone have any suggestions and what works for them? I'd appreciate any feedback.
Thanks~L.P.
Re: MY Nightmare
Reply #5 Oct 7, 2008 11:25 PM
Hi,

I understand people with fibromyalgia and other muscle/joint pain issues do well on a Stearns and Foster Chateau Orleans. It is made by Sealy and is a firm but a plush tight top. If it is not soft enough you can add a 1" 20-24 ILD latex talalay topper.

Maybe your store has or can get it. It does not tend toward deep impressions, gives decent support and has a nice cushion. It goes by different names so I would run a check on the web as well as seek to read some reviews before you take the plunge.

Sabra
Reply #6 Oct 9, 2008 10:16 PM
I know that you stated that you didn't want coils, but my opinion is that you exchange for the best no-frills innerspring non-pillowtop that they have and your store credit allows.  That will most likely be an S-brand, but that's ok.  Surely they have some decent non-pillowtops to choose from.  Sabra's advice sounds very good to me.  Then, add your own memory foam or latex topper.  I'd suggest a 2" topper.  I'd further recommend a decent quality mattress pad over the topper -- I personally hate the feel of all types of foams (PU, latex, memory) directly under a fitted sheet!  As another option, you might consider omitting a topper and simply trying a Cuddle Bed from Costco, or a "down alternative" mattress pad from JCPenny.  If you like the comfort of your pillow-top, but hated the lack of support, the Cuddle Bed or "down alternative" might be your ticket.

When you try out the Firm Plush beds, don't focus on how good it feels.  Concentrate more on if you think the bed is supporting you adequately.  Then, you can comfortize it economically.

Good luck.  I wish you the best!
Reply #7 Oct 13, 2008 2:20 AM
Thank you everyone, for your input.
I decided Saturday to go to Sleep Country and try to find a *Comfortable* mattress as I had a couple of hours to spare and I knew that a latex bed was financially out of the question. I think I tried every mattress in the store, but decided on the Simmons Blackbeauty Rest called *Edaline* in the queen. It felt good and I laid on it in different positions for quite awhile, and even bounced my bottom up & down to see if I could feel what felt like a metal bar on the other beds including my current bed which will be gone tomorrow, and I didn't feel anything but comfort & not too sottness but just right. This is NOT a pillow top and is much closer to the ground which is what I wanted as the bed I have now is so high, it is difficult for me to even get into it. Thinking back I don't think I was aware they had a lower case box spring and no one mentioned it. This is why it pays to do your research!
OK....so I had a credit of $1200.00, and they wanted $2499.00 for this particular bed, but of course I would never dream of paying that much for ANY bed (with the exception of latex, which I can't afford anyway) so the wheelin' & dealin' began. I won't go into the details, but the end result was: 1 mattress/box spring $1999.00, 1 bed frame, 1/2 off ($60), 2 queen latex pillows @ $100 each, I got 2 for one (not that great of a deal), FREE set of sheets, 1 mattress pad that has a dust mite barrier & allergy protection, plus it resists spills/liquid, etc. for 1/2 off ($60.00), and FREE delivery & set up (that is normally $49.95).
So, out of pocket I paid $1,220.69 and that included the evil tax. I *think* I did OK?? BUT....I just want to be able to get some quality sleep which I haven't in decades. I guess I'll know in a week or two of sleeping on this new bed. It is under warranty (10 years), but I think it has some chemical fire retardant in it which I totally forgot about and that's why I was interested in the latex mattresses which are pretty pricey, but they have NO CHEMICALS.
I am just praying this will be the end of my *NIGHTMARE*. I will definitely report back to y'all with a YAY or a NAY.
L.P.

Recent Posts