MOSTLY like my new latex/memoryfoam bed, but need a cushier top. Ideas?
Feb 27, 2011 7:52 PM
I've been sleeping on my new mattress from foamorder.com for several nights now. It's 3" of 5.3lb. memoryfoam over 6" of firm dunlop latex. It doesn't hurt me or make me ache, but it just lacks that feeling of soft plushy luxury I thought I was getting. The only cover on it is a thin, organic cotton cover, so I'm thinking the right kind of topper or mattress pad would add the softness I crave. Here are the options I've thought of:

• 1" or 2" of another memory foam pad with less density, maybe 3lbs. Will this result in sinking in way too deep into memory foam and not getting the benefit of the latex support? Right now, I actually don't feel I sink very deep at all into the mf.
  • 1" or so of very soft talalay, maybe ILD 14?
  • Just a really thick, soft mattress pad, probably wool quilted to cotton.

Since I've spent $1300 on my mattress and foundation, I want to do this next step for no more than $200 tops. It's a full size bed.

The other possibility, since foamorder has a 90 day trade-back layers policy is to switch the 3" mf to something else. But I'd love not to have to hassle with that. Also, I'm not sure what the alternative might be. They don't carry talalay (they don't believe it lasts). Would appreciate any opinions and suggestions for where to get what you think might help. In case it matters, I'm a 5'6" woman, weigh about 170 lbs, no back problems, but I do wake up with my right leg tingling, less so with the new bed than the 25 year old innerspring I was sleeping on. (Like you need to know all this.)

Could really use some of your good expertise out there. Thanks!

This message was modified Feb 28, 2011 by notaprincess
Re: MOSTLY like my new latex/memoryfoam bed, but need a cushier top. Ideas?
Reply #7 Mar 1, 2011 8:55 PM

I just ordered the Overstock mattress pad, Beautyrest 500 Thread Count Supima Mattress Pad, that you sent the link on, Sandman. The reviews are excellent, it looks nice, and it's made in the US! Not cheap ($79) but compare that to the mattress pad costing almost $600 I almost bought during the euphoria of my mattress purchase from Foamorder. Thankfully, I gathered my senses together and didn't. This mattress pad should arrive in a few days. After I sleep on it a bit, I'll let you know my experience.

Recent Posts