MOSTLY like my new latex/memoryfoam bed, but need a cushier top. Ideas?
Feb 27, 2011 7:52 PM
I've been sleeping on my new mattress from foamorder.com for several nights now. It's 3" of 5.3lb. memoryfoam over 6" of firm dunlop latex. It doesn't hurt me or make me ache, but it just lacks that feeling of soft plushy luxury I thought I was getting. The only cover on it is a thin, organic cotton cover, so I'm thinking the right kind of topper or mattress pad would add the softness I crave. Here are the options I've thought of:

• 1" or 2" of another memory foam pad with less density, maybe 3lbs. Will this result in sinking in way too deep into memory foam and not getting the benefit of the latex support? Right now, I actually don't feel I sink very deep at all into the mf.
  • 1" or so of very soft talalay, maybe ILD 14?
  • Just a really thick, soft mattress pad, probably wool quilted to cotton.

Since I've spent $1300 on my mattress and foundation, I want to do this next step for no more than $200 tops. It's a full size bed.

The other possibility, since foamorder has a 90 day trade-back layers policy is to switch the 3" mf to something else. But I'd love not to have to hassle with that. Also, I'm not sure what the alternative might be. They don't carry talalay (they don't believe it lasts). Would appreciate any opinions and suggestions for where to get what you think might help. In case it matters, I'm a 5'6" woman, weigh about 170 lbs, no back problems, but I do wake up with my right leg tingling, less so with the new bed than the 25 year old innerspring I was sleeping on. (Like you need to know all this.)

Could really use some of your good expertise out there. Thanks!

This message was modified Feb 28, 2011 by notaprincess
Re: MOSTLY like my new latex/memoryfoam bed, but need a cushier top. Ideas?
Reply #1 Feb 28, 2011 9:02 AM
If you were me, you'd probably get 2" of the ~20ILD talalay latex from FBM:  http://www.foambymail.com/LatexTFull.html

I bought 3" of their 32ILD and was very pleased--nice soft and cushy.  Of course I'm not you, and I'm not a mattress expert.  

Good luck!

Reply #2 Feb 28, 2011 11:22 AM
I would note that your memory foam might soften up a little after some use.  Tempurpedic buyers often find it takes a month or two to soften up a bit.  I am not totally sure if that is the memory foam or base material or both that softens.  So, you may just want to stick with it a while to see if you and/or the foam adjust.  It helps to walk around a bit on the mattress to break it in.

You can consider adding a thick mattress pad or 1" of softer memory foam or 1" of soft latex.   I know that the 4lb mem-cool from overstock is softer than your 5.3lb foam.   I think this mattress pad is fairly thick and gets pretty good reviews.   Most of them are filled with polyester, but I think that is okay and possibly more plush than wool.  Wool will do a better job if you sleep hot, but might not feel as plush.

I don't think I would go with any latex that is firmer than 19 (14-15 probably better in your case), because that will be firmer than your top layer of memory foam.  Your memory foam should be as soft as about any latex, but it is fairly dense.  So, there are softer memory foams out there like the mem-cool mentioned above.

Some have used the cuddle bed from Costco, which is probably the equivlaent of an extra thick mattress pad.  They also have this intersting one that combines fiber with memory foam.  This looks like a thick mattress pad as well.  

The good thing about buying from Costco is that you can return it if not satisfied for any reason. 

Good luck!  Let us know if you try anything.

This message was modified Feb 28, 2011 by sandman
Reply #3 Feb 28, 2011 2:25 PM
Thanks for the replies and advice. Sandman, especially, thank you for all the specific info and links. I think, first of all, I'll walk on my mattress a bit, and then wait a few weeks to see if it softens up. Didn't know that memory foam softens with time. Then, if needed I'll decide which topper/pad to get.

I came across another mattress pad that I may want to throw into the option pile. It's made with bamboo, sounds heavenly and reviews are great. Wonder if anyone here has experience with it.  It's the Ultimate Comfort Bamboo Mattress Pad at www.Cuddledown.com.

Reply #4 Feb 28, 2011 4:10 PM
I would probably start with a thick mattress pad first, since you probably should have one anyway to protect the mattress.  I don't know anything about the bamboo one.  It looks nice, but it is pretty expensive.  They don't say what the fill level is, but it seems pretty thick.  Hard to say whether it is worth the extra moeny over a thick one from overstock or costco.

Ideally the mattress pad would be washable.  I would check the fill amounts to get a feeling for how much thickness and softness it would add.

If the softening up a bit with use and mattress pad don't add enough, then I would probably add 1 more inch of memory foam (3-4lb.) or 14 ILD latex.   I would not expect those to add any support really, just a bit of softness.  If you want a firmer feel to the extra layer, then I would consider 19 ILD latex.

Reply #5 Mar 1, 2011 12:31 AM
Sandman, I think you are recommending that I get a thick mattress pad now, rather than wait to see if the memory foam softens up. Is that right? Please tell me what "fill level" means. How is it measured, and can you give an example? I didn't see that info on the Costco pads, but maybe I'm not recognizing it. Thanks a ton for your help.
This message was modified Mar 1, 2011 by notaprincess
Reply #6 Mar 1, 2011 12:50 PM
I guess you have to decide on the timing.  I was suggesting getting the mattress pad first (before adding any foam), since you should be using one anyway.  Once you decided on one and try it, then you can decide what the next move to make is if any. I am not sure what you are currently using though, so I am not sure if that is adding any softness.

I have suggested a thick one, because you want to add some plushness & softness.  If you some of read the reviews, it can make a material difference to the feel of you mattress. 

The fill level is the amount of filling they put in it.  For example, the overstock one I linked above says 18oz/ sqare yard.  That is a fair amount, so it would be pretty thick.  The reviewers describe it as pretty thick as well.   They don't always tell you the fill amount online (I am not sure if Costco does).  In which case, you may have to judge it based on looks and what reviewers say.  Sometimes they give the fill amount per square yard and sometimes in total.  So, you would have to do some calculations to compare them.  I think there are about 4 square yards on a queen size mattress.

Usually the filling is polyester, but more expensive ones might be wool or cotton.  Wool absorbs moisture better, so it can help reduce heat.  However, most people use the polyester fill and don't have heat issues.  So, I am not sure it is an issue unless you are heat sensitive.  I am heat-sensitive, so currently I use a wool filled one, but I slept fine with polyester ones most of my life.   I think polyester might have a bit more springy softness then wool, but maybe others would have a different opinion on that.

This message was modified Mar 1, 2011 by sandman
Reply #7 Mar 1, 2011 8:55 PM

I just ordered the Overstock mattress pad, Beautyrest 500 Thread Count Supima Mattress Pad, that you sent the link on, Sandman. The reviews are excellent, it looks nice, and it's made in the US! Not cheap ($79) but compare that to the mattress pad costing almost $600 I almost bought during the euphoria of my mattress purchase from Foamorder. Thankfully, I gathered my senses together and didn't. This mattress pad should arrive in a few days. After I sleep on it a bit, I'll let you know my experience.

Recent Posts