Latex topper on traditional spring mattress
Jan 15, 2008 2:01 AM
Let me start out by saying that my wife and I spent several weekends trying out king size mattresses at various mattress stores.  We found several that we were happy with, but they just didn't quite do it for us, not to mention they were all well over $2000.  We finally stopped at a City Mattress and loved the all latex pranasleep, except for the price tag.  That was way out of our league, but that pretty much ended our mattress search since we didn't want to settle on something when we knew we loved the latex mattress.  Sleep EZ seems like a great alternative, given all the great reviews on here, especially since I would prefer my side a little firmer than my wife's.  However, we noticed in one of our recent Costco coupon mailers, a traditional King Sealy Posturpedic for $659, which includes the box spring.  Can't beat the price, but I haven't done my research on the bed yet, so it might be a piece of garbage.  For now, let's just assume the bed is a decent bed.  How would adding some sort of latex topper to it compare to a 100% latex mattress?
Re: Latex topper on traditional spring mattress
Reply #16 May 2, 2012 2:08 PM
fixer wrote:

Has anyone looked into this? I'm researching finding a well built but inexpensive AIR mattress so there is no concern with coil sag or foam sag, etc. and putting a 4" latex topper on it.  To me, that might give you the best of three worlds: a bed that won't wear out for a very long time, a latex topper to give you excellent support and comfort, and both of them at a comparatively reasonable price. Certainly more affordable than the typical coil mattess with latex at 2k +. 

Typical mattress construction is comfort layers over support layer(s).  Typical Latex mattress construction is a 2" comfort layer over a 6" support layer, give or take a few inches.  So, I would choose your Latex and air layers accordingly.  Air pressure tends to vary with ambient conditions... I would guess you'd have better luck using all Latex... eventually.

GK
Re: Latex topper on traditional spring mattress
Reply #17 May 4, 2012 7:10 PM
Re the air mattress, I had this same BRILLIANT IDEA.   The problem though was that when I researched it, I saw that the regular air mattresses have just terrible reviews and don't seem all that durable - air leaks for example.  Lots of reports of beds that collapse in the night.   Or slow leaks  that you may not notice if you have a guest sleep on it just a few nights every now and then but you would notice if you tried to sleep on it every night.  You're talking about inflatable beds, right?  those ones that are about $100 and some dollars?      The Comfort-Aire type air bed seemed a little bit more durable and I like dthe idea of the air bladder you could replace when it wears out..... but then you're talking $1000 plus.  

So, I think if you are looking for something that won't wear out, your thinking that an air mattress is durable is actually a false premise.

This message was modified May 4, 2012 by Kashkakat

Recent Posts