Latex over coil mattress question
Jun 2, 2012 3:54 PM
I am in the market for a king sized hybrid mattress (latex over pocket coil) w/minimal poly foam. Not much in my area but I did travel to a place that had a Green Sleep Saluna Mattress. It has a 3 " latex topper on a firmish pocket spring mattress. It was a great feeling bed. Unfortunately the price was way out of my range.  However, I am toying with the idea of creating a bed that is close to that feel. A local company Jamestown mattress will make me a custom mattress. I am toying with the idea of quoting me it 2 ways. One with the latex top / pocket coil and one with just a barebones pocket coil mattress and I purchase the top separately.  Will see which way is more cost effective.

I am, however, having a hard time finding the specs on the Green Sleep Saluna bed.  If anyone knows where I could find these or how to find them, that would be great. One web site did mention the 3" topper was all natural dunlop and judging by the feel of the topper I would say it was in the soft to medium range though I would bet soft.  The pocket springs were pretty firm and resulted in a medium firm feel overall.  Could not locate specs on the spring system either.

Anyone have any other options for me? Maybe a competitor that is less expensive? Latex over pocket coil.

Thanks!

Re: Latex over coil mattress question
Reply #3 Jun 4, 2012 7:42 AM
zen4life wrote:

Not much in my area but I did travel to a place that had a Green Sleep Saluna Mattress. It has a 3 " latex topper on a firmish pocket spring mattress. It was a great feeling bed. Unfortunately the price was way out of my range.  However, I am toying with the idea of creating a bed that is close to that feel. A local company Jamestown mattress will make me a custom mattress. ....

I am, however, having a hard time finding the specs on the Green Sleep Saluna bed.  ...  The pocket springs were pretty firm and resulted in a medium firm feel overall.  Could not locate specs on the spring system either.

I couldn't find specs on the GreenSleep mattress, either -- I think you'll need to call the manufacturer to get them. (Can't fathom why they don't just publish the specs. For something that expensive, I'd want to know every single detail.)

A custom mattress made by Jamestown might be fine, but be aware that the pocket coils they use are a lightweight gauge: the Leggett & Platt Body Print system uses 15 and 15.5 gauge steel for the pocket coils. Jamestown Mattress uses the second system on this L&P page: http://www.lpbodyprint.com/tri-zone.asp. (The Jamestown website lists their Majestic Dream as having 14 gauge coils, but that is incorrect. They know it is incorrect -- I had an email exchange with them months ago -- but they haven't fixed the site yet and probably haven't fixed the in-store flyers.)

I'm not trying to discourage you from getting a custom mattress. They might build you something wonderful. I just want you to be aware that the GreenSleep -- with the heavier-gauge steel (not sure what height the coils are) -- will feel different from the Majestic Dream, which has a 6" pocket coil base of light-gauge steel.

If you like the feel of Jamestown's mattress, you might be all set. Hope so.

This message was modified Jun 4, 2012 by Catherine
Reply #4 Jun 4, 2012 10:28 AM
Hmmm, thanks for the info. That is a lighter gauge steel than advertised. They have not updated the flyers or web site. I am going to go in today and ask about that. 

I am assuming a lighter gauge steel would reduce the longevity. And I wonder how many turns their coils have being only six inches high? Also, Jamestown claims 720 coils but your link shows 713.

As for GreenSleep, yes, I wish they showed more info!

Reply #5 Jun 4, 2012 4:42 PM
zen4life wrote:

Hmmm, thanks for the info. That is a lighter gauge steel than advertised. They have not updated the flyers or web site. I am going to go in today and ask about that. 

All the sales reps I encountered there were friendly and tried to be helpful, but they were not aware that they had incorrect specs for that mattress. They just went by the flyers that came from the head office.

My email exchange a few months back was with Jim Pullan, Jr., from the head office. He gave me the link to the L&P specs.

Reply #6 Jun 4, 2012 4:57 PM
Green Sleep's coils are 13 gauge coils (6 turn 8" high). 768 coils in a queen. It appears to be a non-zoned system as well. With just pressing down on the coils I could tell the Green Sleep coils were much firmer than the Jamestown mattress.

As for Jamestown, spoke with Jim from the plant, they have a newer option for the pocket coils called the Combi-Zone from L&P.  It is a 7 zone system of alternating 13.75 gauge coils and 17 gauge coils for the (shoulders, hip, and thigh areas).  From what I read, it looks to be a superior system to the existing one. They are also 8 inches tall versus 6. No extra cost to me.

Link to new system here :

http://www.beddingcomponents.com/comfortcore/documents/combi-zone.pdf

Reply #7 Jun 4, 2012 9:06 PM
zen4life wrote:

As for Jamestown, spoke with Jim from the plant, they have a newer option for the pocket coils called the Combi-Zone from L&P.  It is a 7 zone system of alternating 13.75 gauge coils and 17 gauge coils for the (shoulders, hip, and thigh areas). ....

Link to new system here:

http://www.beddingcomponents.com/comfortcore/documents/combi-zone.pdf

Thanks for the info on Green Sleep coils, and for the link to the Combi-Zone thing. Interesting.

For myself, I'd be worried about whether the zones would fall in the right places for my body -- but that's me.

The L&P PDF says that this zoning system provides the greatest support (I'd assume this means the lower-gauge steel) in the shoulders, hips, and thighs areas. If you're a side sleeper, I'd wonder whether more support in the shoulder area would be a good thing or would prevent your shoulders from sinking in enough. If you're a back or stomach sleeper, maybe a non-issue there.

Anyway, good luck, and let us know what you decide to go with and how you like it.

Reply #8 Jun 4, 2012 11:46 PM
Perhaps they assume the comfort layers would handle the sinking in of the shoulders, hips, and thighs? And that the support layer would then keep them from sinking in further as those are the heavier areas. Just a theory I guess. As for hoping the areas line up with persons of different height and such, yeah, I agree. That would be a concern.
Reply #9 Jun 5, 2012 12:39 AM
Who provided you the specs on the GreenSleep coils?  

I have literally cut one of the springs out of their pockets and I swear it has more than 6 turns (granted the ones at the top and bottom of the spring are very close together), and I was told it was a 13.5 guage wire.  The coil count you got sounds accurate though, somewhere between 750~800 in a queen for sure.  Although spec shopping on these things is not going to really tell the whole story as the coils are also joined together by hand rather than glued together by machine like mass produced pocket springs.  I would also say that because they use the coconut coir all around the spring system it is functionally a lot stronger than even the specs lead on.

Anyway, all I am really saying is that if you want to replicate the specs its not going to be even possible, even the boxspring on that bed contributes to the feeling it had.  Your best bet is to not fret about the specs on the Saluna, get something in a remotely similar build that feels good to you, I think atleast you can get the basic premise of the bed being really solid and durable by just doing away with all the polyfoam. 

Reply #10 Jun 5, 2012 9:35 AM
Budgy -

I emailed Green Sleep and got the following reply

Our latex is Dunlop, ILD is 65 in Saluna... our Gauge is 0.072 and it is a 6 turns coil.

Of course, they gave me the density as opposed to the ILD. Still trying to get them to give me the ILD but from what I found this should be in the low 20's.  I looked up the width they gave me for the wire and it shows 13 gauge (.072).

When I asked about coil count, they replied :

It is 768 in queen.

When I asked if they zoned, they replied :

All the coils are individually wrapped in organic cotton and are 0.072

Reply #11 Jun 5, 2012 1:14 PM
Sounds good :) 

But yeah they probably do not know the exact ILD, Dunlop usually just is measured in density, the density they keep constant and the ILD will vary slightly depending on the natural variations in the rubber itself by a couple points.  Probably mid 20's for 65 density rubber. 

Reply #12 Jun 5, 2012 4:35 PM
I did find a web site that sells a Green Sleep all latex bed. They do show ILD ratings :

Density: Available in soft (ILD equals 22-25), medium (ILD equals 32-35) and firm core (ILD equals 38-42).

Here is the link :

I emailed that info to Green Sleep and got this reply :

Interesting! I guess he found a way to convert the density to the ILD! The only way we were told in Malaysia to have the firmness is the density! So then it would be the 22-25 for the soft rubber.

Recent Posts