Latex bed help
Mar 8, 2012 1:52 PM
Hi all,

This forum is super valuable! But I am now overwhelmed with choices and need some help. I am in search of a queen mattress (top only, since I have a platform bed) for myself and a twin for my son (top bunk). I am searching for a natural latex (I hope I am using the right term) mattress (no innerspring), but wish to seek your wisdom before I plunk down lots of money as an investment.

My stats are: 5'7" and 130-135lbs (back to side sleeper with a bad lower back). My son is 47" and around 46-48lbs (and is an all around the bed sleeper).

I currently have two S-brand freebies that are uncomfortable.

I have tried the following mattresses for queens:

Savvy Rest (2 layer - both Dunlop - 1 soft top and 1 medium layer - felt Talalay was a bit too sinking feeling for me), but am unsure of the $2000 investment and

Gold Bond (quoted at around $1200-1800, depending if i wanted a PU core vs. latex core) but am unfamiliar with this company

I am also in touch with Organic Grace: http://organicgrace.com/ who quoted the Pure Rest Harmony Zip Off mattress (at around $1600 free shipping - recommending a soft-extra firm core combo).

I am at a loss on which direction to go. Is the $1600 the best price I will get for all organic? I trust this lady based on our communications, but wanted some more affirmations or opinions (or other options?) before I do something.

Moreover, this makes me unsure which mattress to pick for my son. Thank you for helping a newbie!

This message was modified Mar 8, 2012 by orgomom
Re: Latex bed help
Reply #2 Jun 5, 2012 10:02 PM
Thanks Grammadeb! Sorry for late response but life kind of took over.

I ended up ordering from Organic Grace (used a coupon too!) a two layer dunlop latex by Pure Rest. The bottom layer is firm, while the top is soft. I found that I didn't need a topper. I have been sleeping much, much better, waking up without aches (unless I fall asleep with my laptop on me), and without any inflammation -- this has been the most important thing I wanted to get rid of, and the latex mattress did!

I also ordered a two-layer basic twin for my son -- his I couldn't choose the layers, so it's just firm. I couldn't afford a topper at the moment, but an extra comforter provided just enough softness that he enjoys sleeping on it.

The added bonus was finding a coupon code for White Lotus one day and ordering a wool and a kapok pillow. My son has taken very much to the kapok pillow -- he found the wool "too stinky." (It really smelled like sheep when it first arrived and was a wonderful nature lesson for this 5yo.)

Happy ending so far.

Re: Latex bed help
Reply #3 Jun 8, 2012 8:56 AM
Hello,

The latex mattress topper is supplied in differing sizes fitting for any size of bed base, and there can be many features about these latex foam toppers that you will love.

Thanks

Recent Posts