Latex Longevity
Jan 21, 2008 4:50 PM
My Girlfriend and I are currently looking to purchase a new mattress as our current one does not meet our needs at all. Neither of us feel well rested in the morning. It is a cheap mattress we bought while we were students, and now that we are both working full time we wanted to get a mattress that will last us for a while.
We are hesitant about buying a mattress that we can't try out before buying (flo or sleepez) but our biggest is concern is the durability of latex and its resistance to getting indentations. Mainly I was wondering if anyone who has had mattresses from either of these companies for 2+ years has had any trouble develop down the road!

Thanks
Re: Latex Longevity
Reply #10 Jan 28, 2008 4:00 PM
"I have done a lot of research on Latex and found that 100% latex, Dunlap or Talalay are the only product that has an almost full guarantee on body impressions and product breakdown. "

Dawn--
This sounds a bit too much like an ad. It is also totally wrong. Dunlop in general tends to break down a bit more than talalay. Further, the highest quality 100% natural talay (such as Latex International's all natural Talatech) breaks down faster than standard talalay blend (such as Latex International's standard Talatech). That's why LI's all natural has a 15 year warranty compared to 20 for the blend. Spend some time on LI's website.
Reply #11 Jan 28, 2008 4:15 PM
Dawn--
I went to the site and found this statement:

"and since synthetic latex is stiffer, coarse in texture, not as soft and inviting, and does not have the antibacterial, antifungal, and hypoallergenic qualities that Natural Latex provides"

That's total b*llsh*t, as are some of the other statements. And the prices aren't that good. Generally figure $150/inch for king size latex ($1200 for 8"). Then a cover. Then shipping. There is no free lunch.
Reply #12 Jan 28, 2008 6:47 PM
I looked at the Habitat site when we were first looking at latex options. There are better places to get natural Dunlop mattresses. For those prices you could get a nicer cover, customizeable layers and/or choice of firmness. An ILD of 25-26 is quite soft - especially as a core under an even softer layer of Talalay. Softer latex will break down faster than firmer latex.
Reply #13 Jan 30, 2008 3:50 PM
I have checked out LI and their retailers don't seem very cheap?   As for the firmness I get to return it if I want for 6 months, but I am being told that it is a firm mattress.  And Habitat gets their Latex from LI.  I can't find any  cheaper anywhere with a 6 guarentee.
Reply #14 Jan 30, 2008 8:49 PM
"I have checked out LI and their retailers don't seem very cheap? And Habitat gets their Latex from LI." HUH?????????????????????

"As for the firmness I get to return it if I want for 6 months, but I am being told that it is a firm mattress. I can't find any cheaper anywhere with a 6 guarentee."

That's because no reputable merchant offers a 6 month guarantee. People should be extremely wary of any merchant offering a 6 month guarantee. If something seems too good to be true, it is. JMO

Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
Reply #15 Jan 30, 2008 9:09 PM
http://habitatfutons.com/latex_mattress.html

"high quality, all botanical, Sri Lankan latex"

"Our 6" 100% Natural Latex Mattress contains only pure Sri Lankan Botanical Latex with no synthetic, petroleum based urethane foam. "

The guy in the video makes a point of mentioning Sri Lankan latex. Most Dunlop is from South Asia. LI is an American company known for making Talalay latex - mostly blended with about 60% petroleum products - the kind this site claims are so bad.
Reply #16 Feb 4, 2008 3:31 AM
jimsocal wrote:
after having tried 2 mattresses that were natural (in stores) they seem to have a better feel to us, than the Talalay which we did not like

There is natural Talalay and blended Talalay.  Blended has a more uniform feel and is available a bit firmer than natural Talalay.  My wife and I have blended on the bottom and 2 natural above w/ a natural topper.

Recent Posts