If LATEX IS SO GOOD WHY DO RETAIL STORES DON'T CARRY 100% LATEX MATTRESSES?
Jun 16, 2010 7:02 PM
I would be interested to know how come only a couple of companies are selling 100% latex mattresses?

If latex is so good, why is it not in retail stores showrooms just like tempurpedic mattresses?

I MEAN MOST PEOPLE would hesitate to buy a costly product from internet when they have never even seen it/felt it/tested it.

You can go to retail store and test the Tempurpedics.

But for 100% latex there are no showrooms of these companies or if they are there they are only in1 location. Why?

Most people would think very hard to buy a 100% latex mattress without testing it in person beforehand.

Now for flobeds , i asked my friend and showed him flobeds web site. And he began to cast doubts.

His questions:

1.  First he said. The web site looks crappy!

2. Do they have any showroom here in the city

3. Don't trust things if did not test it in showroom.

Are these legitimate questions that any person would ask before buying a product?

Thanks.

This message was modified Jun 16, 2010 by roy1
Re: If LATEX IS SO GOOD WHY DO RETAIL STORES DON'T CARRY 100% LATEX MATTRESSES?
Reply #1 Jun 16, 2010 7:44 PM
roy1 wrote:

I would be interested to know how come only a couple of companies are selling 100% latex mattresses?

They sold more of them a while back, but they became very $$$$ and no-one wanted to buy one.   At least for what the box stores were selling.

If latex is so good, why is it not in retail stores showrooms just like tempurpedic mattresses?

100% latex is expensive. Most mattress stores work on profit margin of 50-100% or more.  The quality ones would go for 4K on up retail.

I MEAN MOST PEOPLE would hesitate to buy a costly product from internet when they have never even seen it/felt it/tested it.

You can go to retail store and test the Tempurpedics.

This was not always the case with Tempurpedics, they now embrace the channel, but 10 years ago this was not so. 

But for 100% latex there are no showrooms of these companies or if they are there they are only in1 location. Why?

Small players that work on much lower margins. Small enough that the bug S shops leave them alone.

Most people would think very hard to buy a 100% latex mattress without testing it in person beforehand.

True, but liberal return policies (much more than most box stores) will get past this

Now for flobeds , i asked my friend and showed him flobeds web site. And he began to cast doubts.

His questions:

1.  First he said. The web site looks crappy!

But their produt is quality, I know I have one.  Their website works.  How much of your $$ buying one of their beds do you want supporting the website? I would rather pay less for my bed.

2. Do they have any showroom here in the city

They do have one N of San Fran.   I plan on going there when I next get into that town.

3. Don't trust things if did not test it in showroom.

I don't trust the crappy mattresses that the big S companies try and sell me.  You can even see what is inside.

Are these legitimate questions that any person would ask before buying a product?

Sure, its always a good idea to research what you need to purchase.

Thanks.

Reply #2 Jun 16, 2010 7:55 PM
Yes, I think those are legitimate questions that you should find answers to if you are concerned. My guess as to why latex is not abundant in mattress stores is it seems to be a niche market and people don't like change. It also seems like a newer concept at least to this generation of consumers. Memory foam which competes with latex in price range has had a lot of marketing so most people know about it now. Latex is probably more expensive to make compared to memory foam. There are probably many reasons why latex is not common, but I would assume that most of those reasons if not all are related to profit. Since the internet began there have been companies that have sold products online and just like any other company you just have to do your homework and be comfortable with your purchase.
Reply #3 Jun 16, 2010 8:44 PM
My understanding, from the many months of research I did prior to purchasing a bed, is that latex mattresses are much more common in Europe and relatively unknown here in the US.  If I remember correctly, I read that as many as 50% of western europeans sleep on latex mattresses.  However, in the US, tempurpedic and other memory foam mattresses are much more prevalent than they are in Europe.  I count myself lucky that I even stumbled across latex and the route was pretty circuitous.

Flobeds does have a showroom.  It's in Fort Bragg in Northern California.  Flobeds is a small local company, not a national corporation like Sealy or Simmons or Serta - you are not going to find Flobeds showrooms across the country.  Same with Sleepez (Arizona showroom?).  They have national sales because the internet has given them a wider presence than they would otherwise have.  Their reputation is built on word of mouth and on many happy and satisfied customers.  Same with Sleepez.

If you don't feel comfortable purchasing a mattress you can't try out in person, then don't.  With some persistant research, you may be able to find a company within driving distance of you that either makes or carries latex beds for you to try out.

In the meantime, do your own internet research.  Don't keep on posting three new topics every day and count on everyone else to answer your questions for you.  Do your own internet research and reach your own conclusions.

Reply #4 Jun 16, 2010 9:39 PM
Thank you Kim. If 50% of Europe sleeps on latex that is lot of people. So why can't latex sellers also set up shops just like Europeans latex sellers have done?

Why do third class mattress makers like serta/simmons/Sealy flourish in US.

Are we brainwashed by false advertising from the big S companies? I can't think of any other reason for popularity of Big S makers.

Without ads latex will remain unknown in US. Without showrooms through out Us latex will remain unknown in US.

We are far behind Europeans and will remain so.

Thanks.

This message was modified Jun 16, 2010 by roy1
Reply #5 Jun 17, 2010 12:15 AM
Retail stores have carried latex mattresses for years. The best known brand IMO would be Englander. I bought one in 1993 and it was still in good shape when I decided to get a newer model last year. Unfortuneately I was naive and didn't do my research before buying.The new Englander, though great for 15 min. in the showroom, felt nothing like the old one once I slept on it for whole night. The newer one I bought, like most S brands, was not flippable, came with a foundation instead of actual box spring, and had a bamboo covered (instead of damask and silk blend) pillow top. I was unable to return it and gave it to my son.

I then bought a TP Cloud Supreme, which didn't work for me (my experience is in the preceding link). Luckily I was able to get a full refund on that one.

Thanks to much research on this site, I now have a Flobed, which I highly recommend both for its components and fantasic customer service. (BTW, for those interested (anyone?wink) I will be writing my final positive review and update on Natalie's New Flobed soon).

Best to all,

Natalie

Reply #6 Jun 17, 2010 12:32 AM
Natalia wrote:

(BTW, for those interested (anyone?wink) I will be writing my final positive review and update on Natalie's New Flobed soon).

Best to all,

Natalie

Def interested and look forward to it!

Reply #7 Jun 17, 2010 1:19 AM
Natalie, I am looking forward to reading your review of your FloBed latex mattresI bought a FloBed latex mattress Kit two years ago after having to send my Simmons bed back to Rockaway bedding since it was outgassing and I could not breath. Their bed had suede and polyurethane and not natural latex like they told me and I have allergies to chemicals.  I slept on the floor for a few months over a latex topper I bought until my busy season ended.  Then clients told me how much they loved their FloBed after I cancelled their first appointment telling them I was up all night sick due to the new bed. After their first appointment the week after they told me that each partner needed a different firmness so they bought split layers and since the latex bed does not have fire retardant chemicals on it and no polyurethane, maybe I should look into it as one of my choices.  I tried out latex beds in stores and then decided to take a chance with the latex kit due to the great return policy with no restocking fee and 90 days of exchanges to get the bed right for me. I really love my bed and was so glad that Dave was able to let me make two more latex core exchanges past the 90 days after I had the car accident and wanted my bed even firmer. 

I have always slept on a latex pillow except for one year when I tried so many other types but then went back to a latex pillow for a good night's sleep and no allergies. Now I sleep on a latex bed. I only sleep with a fitted sheet over the zippered mattress cover so I can get the full benefit of the latex.

Reply #8 Jun 17, 2010 1:52 AM
Natalia wrote:

Retail stores have carried latex mattresses for years.

I think Natalia is right.  Apparantly Sears carried a latex bed with a funny name decades ago, I remember reading a post by someone who had a 30 year old Sears latex bed and wanted a replacement.  I think the bed was called Sears-o-Pedic or something funny like that.  I think I looked into it and found the bed wasn't 100% latex, but it did have latex in it.

Reply #9 Jun 17, 2010 12:54 PM
In Colorado we have several Urban Mattress locations and they stock 3 Solid latex mattresses. One is like 6 inches of firm latex. The other is 6in firm latex and 2 in of med/soft. The last is basically another 2in of med/soft latex. They call them their urban organics line. Outside of them I agree there are very few options in most cities.
This message was modified Jun 17, 2010 by Carachi
Reply #10 Jun 17, 2010 4:02 PM
All I would really say Roy....in response to your main question...which is, if these beds are so good why so little choices from the major market players.....

The adverse is ....do you really believe the S brands make such a great product simply because all the major retailers build their business around selling their products?

Tempur-Pedic is actually now the largest mattress brand in the world, they are the number one brand in the US and in Europe.  They carry not only a good product, but they market extremely well.  Latex mattresses have to my knowledge never been promoted in mass media the same way S brands or Tempur-Pedic ever have.....in fact Sleep Number and Ultramatic probably do a lot of business simply from big budget national advertising. Yet I would never sleep on an air mattress, and Ultramatics are the cheapest most basic adjustable beds available.

Recent Posts