IKEA Mattresses: Hasselback or Erfjord Does anyone have any experience with them?
Sep 9, 2008 8:40 AM
Hi All,

I have been flopping on all kinds of mattresses and thought I preferred the latex mattresses due to many of their qualities: mite free; natural etc...

After reading MANY posts from all of you, I have learned that some 100% (which is a marketing term) Natural latex were hammocking and tearing ... after minimal to a few years.

I read a post which mentioned a combination of natural and synthetic latex offered the most durability and one of the individuals quite liked the Erfjord Latex mattress which is 85% natural and 15% synthetic in a Dunlop style mold. It has eco friendly cotton cover with silk/wool wadding. When I sat on it, I bottomed out and hit the slats on the bottom. When I laid down on it, it was quite comfortable with a pillow top on it ... the Tolg.

Also, IKEA has a sale on right now for their spring mattresses and the Hasselback Eastern KING is only $480 ... that is right! I have a 10 year old Simmons Beauty rest which has hammocked. For the price, it is unbelievable. However, it is too expensive if it is uncomfortable or poorly made. It does have a 25 year warrantee though ... haven't read the details.

I understand that the Euroslats offer a more spring like quality than regular slats. Other than the one post on this site, does anyone have any experience with:

1. Euroslats
2. the Erfjord

I also thought ... Euroslats, Hasselback mattress and a Latex topper could do the trick.

Does anyone have any experience with the IKEA products or any wisdom they could share? I noticed there isn't a lot of information about the IKEA products on this board.

Thanks.
Re: IKEA Mattresses: Hasselback or Erfjord Does anyone have any experience with them?
Reply #5 Oct 2, 2008 9:51 PM
Jazzsinger777 wrote:
Varaonaid,<BR><BR>Not a problem.<BR><BR>The King Erfjord does exist and I like it for the money ... a king is either $1,050 ... or $1099. IKEA Canada has a 45 day return policy 100% cash return or up to 90 days for an exchange. <BR><BR>I like it a lot WITH the Tolg topper ... although, if I was living in US I would consider the Milan King Mattress from www.naturabeds.com <BR><BR>They will charge me $150 for shipping plus taxes at the border make it less affordable.<BR><BR>I took my wife into the showroom (I knew which one I wanted ... the Erfjord ... but thought I would let her decide). We tried the Hasselback, and it was quite firm. We then put the Tolg latex topper on it and it was still firm but a little more comfortable.<BR><BR>We then tried the Erfjord with the topper and her face relaxed, eyes shut and she smiled at me saying &quot;Ah...&quot;.<BR><BR>Just working out where to get a bed frame of solid wood, and where to get the best Euro slats ... and I will buy it.<BR><BR>Swinging,<BR><BR>Jazzsinging.

Jazzsinger777, I don't know what size Erfjord you're looking at getting from IKEA (or if you've already purchased a mattress at this point) or where you're located but I was at IKEA Montreal today and there was a queen size in the As-Is section for half price @ $449. I thought of you since you were looking at getting one. It seemed in great shape with just a little but of surface dirt - probably from being moved into As-Is. Good luck in your quest!
Re: IKEA Mattresses: Hasselback or Erfjord Does anyone have any experience with them?
Reply #6 Sep 16, 2009 11:56 PM
The Erfjord......<BR><BR>I bought it a year ago. It was SO comfortable. By the word &quot;was&quot; being in there, I think you'll see where this is going. <BR><BR>I figured, &quot;Well, I'm moving into a new apartment, and getting a new bed. I might as well get a really nice one that will last a long time, so I'll splurge and get a really good mattress.&quot;<BR><BR>I went to IKEA, knowing the bed I wanted (The Sultan Alsarp, which is a bed frame with storage inside it...the mattress lifts up to reveal the storage!), and tried all of the mattresses. The Erjford felt wonderful. Nice &amp; firm. So I plopped down $850 or so on a Sultan Erfjord with no hesitation. I was going over budget, but a good mattress is worth it, right?<BR><BR>When I got the mattress home, I sat on it, and it was a bit softer than I had remembered, and thought I had been given the wrong one. It was pretty comfortable when I laid down on it though, and felt really nice to sleep on.<BR><BR>A few months ago, I noticed that the mattress was sagging a bit in the middle. I'm 5'10&quot; and 160 lbs., so it's not like I'm a 500 lb. gorilla sleeping on this. It has deteriorated and it is now impossible to get a good night's sleep on this mattress. My back winds up aching all day long.<BR><BR>I looked into the 25-year warranty, and http://www.ikea.com.hk/help/help4b.html says it doesn't cover normal wear and tear or body impressions, etc. Is sagging after less than a year normal wear and tear? Well, you bet they will claim it is. An $850 mattress that lasts less than 1 year comes out to $2.33 a day. Not worth it a bit.<BR><BR>Really disappointed.<BR><BR>
This message was modified Sep 16, 2009 by Disappointed
Reply #7 Sep 17, 2009 1:13 AM
Jazzsinger777,

Thank you SO much for starting this thread!  And for the info on the Erfjord!  I, too, went to IKEA just to get a feel for latex mattresses, and liked the firmness of the Erfjord.  I know they post the blend of synthetic to natural latex on their site, but I couldn't find anything re: whether it was Dunlop or Talalay! 

I've been flip-flopping like a fish out of water (and not just because my current mattress is killing my lower back now... hee!) about whether to just get the IKEA mattress, or to try to DIY.  But I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what "kind" of latex (forgive me if I'm misusing terms...) - blended or 100% natural, and/or Talalay vs Dunlop, and/or mix layers, what ILDs, choose where to get them from, what to WRAP them in (most of the sites don't give you any kind of a free mattress cover if you buy them in separate components/layers), etc...  So started leaning towards just giving up and getting the IKEA mattress.  Luckily for me it seems (with a HUGE THANKS to Disappointed for posting his experience!!), they've been out of stock in the Queen-size, and shipping costs just to PA was insane - think it was $239.00? 

Sooo, looks like now that I've been saved in the nick of time, I'll go back to the DIY plan.  It was very helpful to find out that they used the Dunlop process though - I was wondering if that was what was giving it the firm feel that I liked.  So my plan is putting together two 3" slabs - bottom one being a firmer Dunlop, and the top one being a medium ILD blended Talalay.  I think...  Still trying to decide if I should "splurge" and get the LI brand latex (sleeplikeabear.com), or sleepez.com's latex (seem to use the better brands according to their site, but still don't state exactly which one you'd be getting), or still considering foambymail.com's latex...  And actually, thanks to jstaggie's input, think I'll check out naturabeds site.  Jstaggie, would you mind please letting us know how your mattress turns out? 

Oh decisions, decisions!  :)  Thanks, all!!  Oh!  If any of you still decide you really do like the Erfjord and want to still get it, the lady told me when I called IKEA to find out when it was going to be re-stocked at the closest store near me (which was about 1 1/2 hours away... ugh!) that it's being discontinued in August 2010.  Don't know if that info has any value/helps in any way...  LOL! 

Thanks, again!

Reply #8 Sep 27, 2009 10:38 PM
MOLDED WITHIN 2 YEARS OF PURCHASE. UNDER NORMAL HOUSE CONDITIONS. 25 YEAR WARRANTY no exchange or refund without receipt we had visa statement bad customer relations on their part see movie on youtube site http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qljZZ5oDATs

i found a site http://www.chem-tox.com/guest/guestbook.html they wrote

Ikea Mattress Odor Problems
Ikea has a problem with foam odor. I recently moved and had a year old Ikea mattress stored by a moving company in a large cardboard mattress box. It had a unpleasant foam odor similar to old car seats when we slept on it. The six months of storage did not help either. We don't have any signs of chemical illness, but just cannot sleep on a smelly bed. This will be the second one year old Ikea mattress we'll have to discard due to odor. They seem to get worse as time goes on. Until Ikea can address this problem I would discourage anyone from purchasing a mattress from them.
Huron, OH

IKEA child bed
We recently bought our two and a half year old a new bed and foam mattress from IKEA. After sleeping on it for two nights, my daughter vomited on getting out of bed and was vomiting for hours. The smell from the mattress was really strong and we aired it for about two weeks. The smell was less but still there. We tried her on it again and she now has a cold and cough that she can't shake. She is no longer sleeping on it and we will approach IKEA for a refund.
York, WA Australia - Friday, June 07, 2002 at 01:18:27 (CDT)
Reply #9 Oct 1, 2009 11:59 PM
Hi All,

Just want to clarify ... like most people on this site ... have a difficult time making a decision what to purchase as the DIY is so involved.

I did not buy a Sutlan Erfjord ... but have been saving up and looking to do the DIY route as well. Glad to see the CDN $ is getting close to par as I will be ordering from the USA and it will be expensive.
Reply #10 Oct 2, 2009 8:40 PM
Hi all -

I went to IKEA to try this very mattress. I happened to get a phone call right as I was about to lie down, so I decided it was a perfect opp to chat and lay still for awhile to really give it a test.

I was one of those who felt the mattress was surprisingly firm (without a topper). I got up to stare closely at the sign to make sure I wasn't on the wrong one - since it didn't feel even *close* to medium to me. I drug over the Tolg topper to see if that helped... and I played with a few nearby pillows to get the right mix.  I REALLY wanted to LOVE this mattress since it would solve my biggest problem - price.  (My friend on the phone was kind enough to be patient as I jockeyed about trying to get comfy). 

The topper softened it up, and I relaxed and chatted for about 20 minutes.

I never had an "ahhhh" moment, and kept poking the pillow and shifting around trying to locate the "zone" that is supposed to let your hip sink in.  No luck.  When I got up, (I kid you not) my lower back & hip had a hitch that made it painful to walk!  I felt like I needed a quick trip to the chiropractor! Ugh!!! Needless to say I did NOT LOVE this bed. Sadly I'm resorting to experimenting with toppers on my current mattress till we can consider the big expenditure of flowbeds or some such thing next year.

For the record, i'm  a female Side-Sleeper with wide shoulders, narrow waist, and wide hips (curvy). I'm also heavier - at about 250 lbs.  I need a little more give at the shoulders & hips than some folks might. A lighter person might do better than I did with the ergonomics. But for my big beautiful curvy sisters out there (and maybe some of the big brothers), probably not a good bet.

SK

This message was modified Oct 2, 2009 by SKeeter

Recent Posts