I need help finding a new mattress and I feel lost. Reviews are extremely subjective, sales people aren't truthful, and prices fluctuate without reason
Dec 17, 2010 2:40 PM
I've been on the "hunt" for a good long while now, though never very hard until now.  I sleep on an air mattress (read: aerobed isn't up to the hype) and its started to give in and I'm loosing ground fast.  I have to inflate it more and more every day and the seams are beginning to give. 

So that sort of puts the pressure on me to find something and find it fast.  Now I've looked around and I feel like I'm getting nowhere - when I go talk to sales people because I feel like I can't believe a single word coming out of their mouth.  On top of that there are "SALES" and "50% off!" everywhere/all the time.  I've even seen "black friday 2 sale!" on the following one after black Friday.  And because of all this I don't know if the mattress I'm looking at is really a $2000 mattress, or a $400 mattress...

This is why I need ya'll's help (sorry live in TX for 10 years :P ).

I've been looking around for a long time so I know what info you guys need to help:

• I'm 5'6", 140lb
  • Stomach sleeper
  • Looking for a Queen Size
  • Preferably from Costco
  • Med-firm or firm
  • Located in Baltimore
  • Budget: <$1k.  Ideally around 600-700 (or less?)

I've ruled out any type of foam/latex mattress since I like to have a cool surface to sleep on - I understand "regular" mattresses are best at that? 

I'd prefer to use slats over a box spring - can I do that with any mattress?

Thanks so much in advance!!

This message was modified Dec 17, 2010 by Mizron
Re: I need help finding a new mattress and I feel lost. Reviews are extremely subjective, sales people aren't truthful, and prices fluctuate without reason
Reply #4 Dec 17, 2010 10:58 PM
It's unlikely you will find a "real" (meaning only) latex mattress in your budget unless it was on the "thinner" side like the Ikea listed here. Here are a few places (besides the one I posted earlier) I would check out that I had on my list. Lemoyne would be my first choice. Latex with 8" and more usually starts around $1000 (you could get slightly less than this but you would be ordering online and it would involve more research than you likely have time to do).

Phoenix

http://www.lemoynesleeper.com/locations.html Regional manufacturer. This would be a very good place to go as they have good value.

http://www.manta.com/c/mmqdpkk/chesapeake-bedding-mfg Manufacturer. Don't have a website and know nothing about them but they may be worth calling if they're still in business.

http://www.mattressdiscounters.com/store/department.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=7 Retailer. Their comfort source is a house brand that may have something worthwhile

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60109592 Manufacturer. They have one latex mattress that is "mostly natural" (85% natural latex)  that may be worth trying as you could actually lay on it to see how it feels.

http://barronsleftovers.com/contact.php Retailer. They carry a line called "imperial bedding" which may well be worth checking out. It was recommended in another thread on this forum by someone who was very familiar with them and liked them.

http://www.sleephappens.com/html/store_locations/storeLocation_results.cfm?zipCode=21209 Retailer. They have some lower cost options that may be worth checking

Re: I need help finding a new mattress and I feel lost. Reviews are extremely subjective, sales people aren't truthful, and prices fluctuate without reason
Reply #5 Dec 18, 2010 2:42 AM
Lovely!! Thanks so much!! I have homework to do now definitely.

I had one more question if I may, you've been quite helpful thus far though I really appreciate it.  Costco (as an example) has these 4 levels of beds.  Is there really any difference besides height and weight?  Is one recommended over the other?  Do you think it's worth the cost increase?

$1150

$1000

$800

$650

Thanks once again.

This message was modified Dec 18, 2010 by Mizron
Reply #6 Dec 18, 2010 4:11 AM
They are all a waste of money IMO. I had a personal rule that I would not consider a mattress with over 1" of polyfoam in the upper layers and even that was undesireable. The 2 lower cost ones have around 3"+ so they would be preferable over the more expensive ones which have more than 5 but I wouldn't touch any of them. This is exactly the type of polyfoam which breaks down so easily and leads to most of the complaints you will see ... and you can't even flip them to slow down the foam breakdown. The more of it there is the worse the mattress is as the polyfoam is always the "weak link" in the mattress' durability. One may have a better innerspring than another but what use is that when there is so much poly over it that the innerspring can't do it's job anyway? I also wouldn't touch any mattress with this type of construction made by any of the major manufacturers (which means pretty much all of their models with very few exceptions) unless I paid so little that I would be happy to "throw it away" in a relatively short period of time (worst case months best case a few years). You're paying a fortune for cheap ingredients that cost very little.

These are especially bad for a stomach sleeper as anything you sink into too far will likely hyperextend your back.

If I was forced to buy a mattress with more polyfoam in it because of budget concerns (I only had a budget of less than say $3-400 for a queen), I would buy it from a smaller manufacturer who could tell me truthfully what type of polyfoam it was (there are a few better ones used correctly) and how long I could expect it to last. I'd rather even just buy some cheap soft foam with cheap firm foam underneath and put a cover around it. More than this and I would buy a "bare bones" model with a decent innerspring and add a quality topper or buy one of the much better value mattresses that you can find in many places.

IMO ... the kind of mattresses represented by these 4 (and their equivalent made by all the "S" companies) are the worst of the worst and the sooner people avoid them completely (unlikely given the lack of knowledge about mattresses in general and the bogus information that is being presented as "fact") the better.

Costco and Sam's Club often have some great values in a mattress ... none of these are in that group.

Phoenix

This message was modified Dec 18, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #7 Dec 23, 2010 2:46 PM
Thanks Phoenix for all your advice so far!  I've went to the places you recommended and tested some mattresses.  I was particularly impressed with the latex - so I think I may get a throwaway mattress for now until I can save up.

Thanks again!

Reply #8 Dec 23, 2010 7:02 PM
That's probably a good choice. You could either find a mattress with springs and poly that was both comfortable and supportive enough for your needs and would last for a few years or you could buy a "barebones" mattress with a decent innerspring and as little poly as possible and then add a topper. Either way you could get good value in a limited budget.

Once your budget is over $1000 or so (for a queen), you start to open up "legitimate latex" mattress choices.

Phoenix

This message was modified Dec 23, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #9 Dec 27, 2010 3:02 PM
Hi.  I have had a latex bed for over 10 years now and love it. I'm a stomach sleeper too. In terms of the coolness of the mattress will also depend on the cover on the mattress itself, silk will be cooler than clothor polyblend.  Also the type of mattress pad you use can effect the coolness.  Again, silk will be cooler than cotton.  In terms of the heat of the mattress, you are probably correct in that a memory foam is definitely the warmest, latex is probably next, and the air and coil mattresses are probalbly next.  However, if you really want a cool mattress, the way to go is a water bed.  Not as easy to find nowadays, but my one brother is a devote water bed guy.  However, if bedroom is on the 2nd floor, water beds are extremely heavy.  Check floor structure if place is old.  Here in Phoenix, in the industrial area, I found a place that custom made latex beds (and probably other latex items).  They were much more informative about latex than the bed stores that I went to and they were less expensive too.  They had examples of the mattresses from extra extra firm to extremely soft without the covers so you could see and feel the difference.  Had a lot of good answers to my list of questions.  You should check around and see if there is a place like that around you.   Also, just to inform you, some of the stores (they had it at the home show) now have a computerized bed that analyzes your body while on the bed and then suggests various beds / mattresses for your body type.  Well, hope all that helps.  Take your time.  Wear comfortable clothes (pajama like) and lie on a bed for at least 30 minutes before buying.  This is something that you will be using 6-8 hours a day so don't just buy because someone else says that it is the right bed for you. Also, bed stores will always deal on a bed, just like a car, sale or no sale. Good luck.
Reply #10 Dec 27, 2010 3:49 PM
I found a place that custom made latex beds (and probably other latex items).

Do they make latex foam donut shaped hip pads for Leo? (laughing)

Welcome to the forum

Phoenix

Recent Posts