How does your latex mattress smell?
Oct 8, 2009 8:32 PM
I thought I would make a thread on this subject as it keeps coming up in so many of the posts.

I just purchased a California King, all botanically grown, Talalay processed latex mattress. I have been sleeping on it now for 10 days. The only odor that I am noticing is a very mild sweet smell. It's rather pleasant actually, and I rather enjoy it. It has been diminishing considerably over the last several days and soon it will probably be all gone. I think I'm going to miss it, just a little bit.

From everything I have been able to read on the subject, this seems to be one of the side advantages to botanically grown 100% natural Talalay, as opposed to a petrochemical-based products.

This bed was sold by FloBeds, and the latex material was manufactured by Latex International.
This message was modified Oct 8, 2009 by eagle2
Re: How does your latex mattress smell?
Reply #8 Jul 9, 2012 8:28 AM
kidushka wrote:

For GK.

It is made by a small independent manufacturer called Yanis. We were so excited when we found this company manufacturing all natural mattresses (even encased in all organic cotton cover) with an affordable price tag. We found no bad reviews  either, so expected no problems. I have to say they were quite nice extending our trial period by further few weeks when we complained of the smell first. that period is over now. if i only knew that smell was at least not harmful, i could somehow cope with it. the smell is not that of a natural rubber ( i even called a friend of mine for an independent "sniff test"). it is true that it is much fainter to what it was like in the first few weeks, but it still lingers on. that odor behaves so strangly. when we sniff the mattress directly, it smells so faintly that one could even argue whether it qualifies for a refund. however, the room, the bedding, often our skin smells of it and the smell tends to be stronger as we toss and turn on the mattress. it is sweet/pungent and seems so volatile. the mattress came with a couple of pillows (same material). if there was a place where i could have them tested to see whether they are really what they are supposed to be.

I too ordered the Natural Latex Mattress from Yanis, I suffer from MCS. The smell from it is overpowering, the mattress was put outside each day for 2 weeks in good dry breezy weather, its now in a room with the window open day and night, I have had the mattress for 2 months now and still cannot go into the room it's in despite it being wrapped in new waterproof sheeting and its coolmax cover. I have contacted the firm to see if they will help me resolve this as I cannot afford to buy another new mattress.

Re: How does your latex mattress smell?
Reply #9 Jul 13, 2012 11:29 PM
eagle2 wrote:

I thought I would make a thread on this subject as it keeps coming up in so many of the posts.

I just purchased a California King, all botanically grown, Talalay processed latex mattress. I have been sleeping on it now for 10 days. The only odor that I am noticing is a very mild sweet smell. It's rather pleasant actually, and I rather enjoy it. It has been diminishing considerably over the last several days and soon it will probably be all gone. I think I'm going to miss it, just a little bit.

From everything I have been able to read on the subject, this seems to be one of the side advantages to botanically grown 100% natural Talalay, as opposed to a petrochemical-based products.

This bed was sold by FloBeds, and the latex material was manufactured by Latex International.

We usually leave the mattress outdoor(on the balcony) when we buy a new one.Until the odor is gone.So it smell nothing.

Recent Posts