How does your latex mattress smell?
Oct 8, 2009 8:32 PM
I thought I would make a thread on this subject as it keeps coming up in so many of the posts.

I just purchased a California King, all botanically grown, Talalay processed latex mattress. I have been sleeping on it now for 10 days. The only odor that I am noticing is a very mild sweet smell. It's rather pleasant actually, and I rather enjoy it. It has been diminishing considerably over the last several days and soon it will probably be all gone. I think I'm going to miss it, just a little bit.

From everything I have been able to read on the subject, this seems to be one of the side advantages to botanically grown 100% natural Talalay, as opposed to a petrochemical-based products.

This bed was sold by FloBeds, and the latex material was manufactured by Latex International.
This message was modified Oct 8, 2009 by eagle2
Re: How does your latex mattress smell?
Reply #1 Oct 8, 2009 8:37 PM
Mine is Latex International's Talatech, a blended latex (part botanical, part synthetic).  I only noticed a very faint, not unpleasant, odor the first few nights I've had it - the type of odor Eagle describes.  The smell is either gone now or I'm not noticing it.  The reputed off-gassing of memory foam products was one of the reasons I decided to spring for the latex instead.
Reply #2 Oct 9, 2009 2:23 PM
I purchased a 1-inch talalay topper from SleepLikeABear.com and it had the sweet smell you describe; I've also heard it referred to on this site as a "creme-brulee" smell. I'm fairly sensitive to smells, and after a three-day airing out, it was still a bit overpowering. The odor has dissipated a great deal in the past month, and is recognizable now only if one's nose is directly against the bed sheet (pillow gives enough distance so that it isn't noticeable).

I also got a 3-inch dunlop topper from foamsweetfoam.com, which had very little smell when it arrived. What smell it has (you have to sniff it directly to smell it) is a faint rubbery odor, like new bike tires. No creme-brulee sweetness.
Reply #3 Apr 26, 2012 10:17 AM
HELP please - my 100% pure natural latex mattress (dunlop) smells.
I am really concerned about this.We have been having this mattress for more than 6weeks now. For the first month we had to leave it unzipped and uncovered from its outer cover in a separate bedroom with windows non-stop open for over a month. We even avoided going to the room much, as the smell quickly spread over the house.I have to say that the smell has decreased considerably (and we started sleeping on it in last 2 weeks), but the smell still lingers enough to bother us. Our 2.5 year old daughter sleeps in bed with us and even if she takes only an hour nap in the afternoon, I can smell the mattress on her pyjama and her body (through a good quality mattress protector and a bedsheet!)! I myself am pregnant and although I keep reading about the smell not gassing off and not being harmful in these mattresses, I am concerned more and more. I think I would rather return it (but our trial period has ended). we were told (and everywhere I am reading I can see) that mattress smell should go within 6 weeks. Does anyone have a similar experience?
Reply #4 Apr 30, 2012 1:41 PM
I have a mixed latex mattress from SleepEZ, which includes a firm dunlop layer, a med talalay layer and a soft talalay layer.  The layers smell a bit rubbery and when I handle them, I get a residual smell on my hands; but once I zip the thing up the the cover, I smell nothing.  I also have a protect-a-bed mattress cover over the mattress--the one that fits over the mattress with elastic and not the one that encases the entire mattress. 
Reply #5 May 2, 2012 2:13 PM
kidushka wrote:

HELP please - my 100% pure natural latex mattress (dunlop) smells.
I am really concerned about this.We have been having this mattress for more than 6weeks now. For the first month we had to leave it unzipped and uncovered from its outer cover in a separate bedroom with windows non-stop open for over a month. We even avoided going to the room much, as the smell quickly spread over the house.I have to say that the smell has decreased considerably (and we started sleeping on it in last 2 weeks), but the smell still lingers enough to bother us. Our 2.5 year old daughter sleeps in bed with us and even if she takes only an hour nap in the afternoon, I can smell the mattress on her pyjama and her body (through a good quality mattress protector and a bedsheet!)! I myself am pregnant and although I keep reading about the smell not gassing off and not being harmful in these mattresses, I am concerned more and more. I think I would rather return it (but our trial period has ended). we were told (and everywhere I am reading I can see) that mattress smell should go within 6 weeks. Does anyone have a similar experience?

Who manufactured the Latex foam rubber in your mattress?

The LI blended Latex foam rubber in my mattress has a very faint not-unpleasant Latex odor that is gowing less and less evident each day.  Same for the LI 100% natural Latex foam rubber pillows.

GK

Reply #6 May 5, 2012 3:55 PM
For GK.

It is made by a small independent manufacturer called Yanis. We were so excited when we found this company manufacturing all natural mattresses (even encased in all organic cotton cover) with an affordable price tag. We found no bad reviews  either, so expected no problems. I have to say they were quite nice extending our trial period by further few weeks when we complained of the smell first. that period is over now. if i only knew that smell was at least not harmful, i could somehow cope with it. the smell is not that of a natural rubber ( i even called a friend of mine for an independent "sniff test"). it is true that it is much fainter to what it was like in the first few weeks, but it still lingers on. that odor behaves so strangly. when we sniff the mattress directly, it smells so faintly that one could even argue whether it qualifies for a refund. however, the room, the bedding, often our skin smells of it and the smell tends to be stronger as we toss and turn on the mattress. it is sweet/pungent and seems so volatile. the mattress came with a couple of pillows (same material). if there was a place where i could have them tested to see whether they are really what they are supposed to be.

Reply #7 May 5, 2012 6:06 PM
kidushka wrote:

For GK.

It is made by a small independent manufacturer called Yanis. We were so excited when we found this company manufacturing all natural mattresses (even encased in all organic cotton cover) with an affordable price tag. We found no bad reviews  either, so expected no problems. I have to say they were quite nice extending our trial period by further few weeks when we complained of the smell first. that period is over now. if i only knew that smell was at least not harmful, i could somehow cope with it. the smell is not that of a natural rubber ( i even called a friend of mine for an independent "sniff test"). it is true that it is much fainter to what it was like in the first few weeks, but it still lingers on. that odor behaves so strangly. when we sniff the mattress directly, it smells so faintly that one could even argue whether it qualifies for a refund. however, the room, the bedding, often our skin smells of it and the smell tends to be stronger as we toss and turn on the mattress. it is sweet/pungent and seems so volatile. the mattress came with a couple of pillows (same material). if there was a place where i could have them tested to see whether they are really what they are supposed to be.

If Yanis only assembles the mattress and does not make the Latex foam rubber, then I would still be curious to know the source of the Latex.

Latex is used extensively in sleep products.  Latex manufacturers have built their business on this application.  Latex off-gassing is not suppose to be an issue.  So, the source and quality of the Latex would be my concern with an odor issue.

So, how much Latex did you get and for how much?  Too cheap would be a red flag.

GK

Reply #8 Jul 9, 2012 8:28 AM
kidushka wrote:

For GK.

I too ordered the Natural Latex Mattress from Yanis, I suffer from MCS. The smell from it is overpowering, the mattress was put outside each day for 2 weeks in good dry breezy weather, its now in a room with the window open day and night, I have had the mattress for 2 months now and still cannot go into the room it's in despite it being wrapped in new waterproof sheeting and its coolmax cover. I have contacted the firm to see if they will help me resolve this as I cannot afford to buy another new mattress.

Reply #9 Jul 13, 2012 11:29 PM
eagle2 wrote:

I thought I would make a thread on this subject as it keeps coming up in so many of the posts.

I just purchased a California King, all botanically grown, Talalay processed latex mattress. I have been sleeping on it now for 10 days. The only odor that I am noticing is a very mild sweet smell. It's rather pleasant actually, and I rather enjoy it. It has been diminishing considerably over the last several days and soon it will probably be all gone. I think I'm going to miss it, just a little bit.

From everything I have been able to read on the subject, this seems to be one of the side advantages to botanically grown 100% natural Talalay, as opposed to a petrochemical-based products.

This bed was sold by FloBeds, and the latex material was manufactured by Latex International.

We usually leave the mattress outdoor(on the balcony) when we buy a new one.Until the odor is gone.So it smell nothing.

Recent Posts