Hastens Excelsior Out. Vi Spring In. What Would You Do?
May 3, 2011 9:37 AM
If you go back and read my posts from 3 years ago you would see that I was one of Hastens biggest fans. After replacing a defective Excelsior less than 6 months after we bought it in 2008, I was also impressed with hastens customer service. Our second Excelsior has not fared much better. We have done all the required maintenance and care like clockwork, but sadly find that the comfort and support it once had is all but gone. One side is virtually unusable. The other is better but clearly on it's way out. So we have decided to ditch the Hastens and get a Vi Spring. Vi Spring is starting to make a big push in the US, and ABC Carpet here in NYC has them. I take sleep very seriously and always try to buy the best we can manage. So this leads me to my question. We have fallen in love with the overall Vi Spring feel. We also tried Savoir but prefer Vi Spring. We have narrowed it down to the Tiara Supreme or the Sublime Supreme. The sublime is more popular(and more expensive). But I won't buy a mattress due to popularity. I prefer medium tension, where my wife insists on a firm tension(she is a stomach sleeper). The Tiara is available to try in both medium and firm and we both like it a lot. But the Sublime is only available to try in a medium. They do not have a firm. And the medium is too soft for her she says.I prefer the Sublime but would be very happy with the Tiara. So do we buy the Tiara which we both tried and like? Or do we take a chance and order her the Sublime in firm(we are getting 2 twins with a zipper lock). She wants to make me happy and insists the Sublime in firm will be good for her. But that is sight unseen which I hate doing. I would love some opinions as this is a very big purchase for us. And would especially love to hear from anyone who owns a Vi Spring. Thanks for the help.
Re: Hastens Excelsior Out. Vi Spring In. What Would You Do?
Reply #4 Jun 4, 2011 12:51 PM
The VI-Spring beds have the option of different depths for the boxsprings (divans) -- 15 cm, 23 cm or 30cm.  If you go with the shallowest boxspring, your bed will have a firmer feel; the 23 cm is the one usually shown in showrooms, and the 30cm is designed to accommodate drawers.  We definitely preferred the feel of shallower divan, and combined with a medium mattress, and found that it gave a solid medium (or medium-firm) feel overall, which worked for both my husband (a stomach sleeper) and me ( a side sleeper).  You might want to give it a try in the showroom -- pair the Sublime with a shallower divan (if they have a shallow viceroy of course).  I personally found the Sublime in medium too soft when paired with the regular depth divan, and always wondered whether I would have liked it better with the shallower divan.  I tried a couple of mattresses with the different divans, and the difference was quite significant.  It was still a medium, but there was a bit more support.  Not enough to make it firm, but just perfect.

Just curious -- what did you feel the difference to be between the Savoir No. 2 (my dream bed, which I can't afford), and the VI-Spring?

We are most likely going with a Classic Superb, which is mostly horsehair, and only a little lambswool.  It is matched with the Prestige divan.  It isn't available in the export line though.

This message was modified Jun 5, 2011 by sideslpr
Reply #5 Jun 5, 2011 1:09 PM
Sleeptight: What are you going to do with your Excelsior? if it is defectve doesnt Hastens have a 25 year guarantee on the mattress and boxspring (not topper)?

Can it be repaired? What exactly is wrong with it? Maybe you just need a new topper?

Reply #6 Jun 9, 2011 11:03 PM
Is Sleeptight going to respond to any of our questions? Did he disappear forever?
Reply #7 Jun 9, 2011 11:46 PM
sleepshady wrote:

Is Sleeptight going to respond to any of our questions? Did he disappear forever?

Maybe he's asleep! If so, I'd like to know which mattress he ended up getting! wink

Reply #8 Jun 13, 2011 4:19 PM
Sorry for the delay all. Been away from here for awhile. Hastens has been by to inspect our mattress and says there is nothing wrong with it. But we know different having slept on it for a few years. We ended up getting the Vi Spring Tiara Supreme. It is on order and should be here within a few weeks. In the end it was the Tiara that was the one we could both be happy with. We ordered 2 twin XL's. That way she could have her firm and I got a medium. They zip together cleanly to prevent mattress shifting apart. Before making another very expensive mattress purchase(can't believe I agreed to this), I did as much research as I possibly could on these high end mattresses. We went to see the Vi Springs about 7 times before choosing one, each time spending over an hour. We auditioned Savoir as well. And in the end Vi Spring just seems right for us. And their reputation really is exceptional in the UK. I could not be more excited about receiving it and I will certainly report back. As for the Hastens, it is going into storage until I find a friend or relative that wants it. Which should not be very hard to find.

Recent Posts