Hastens 2000T spring question
Sep 12, 2007 12:07 PM
We went to try out the Hastens beds again this evening in Newport Beach. We tried three or four, all of them great.  
The 2000T firm seemed to be our favorite. We both almost fell asleep on it--we were quite amazed!!!

I've read on this forum that pocketed springs aren't supposed to be good for lower back problems, but I don't know the reason.  Would somebody in the know please explain this to me?
The springs felt very supportive for the time we were on the bed, so I would really appreciate an explanation about objections to them, and what, if anything, is considered better. I have had some lower back problems in the past, and I never want to go down that road again.

I asked the helpful saleslady what the gauges of the springs were, but she did not know. She is going to find out for me.

If I have any criticism of the beds at all, other than expense, it is they're not very easy to roll over on. On a queen sized bed, you pretty much need to be able to spin-roll in place anyhow, which was a little challenge with Hastens due to the lovely sinking-into the cushy horsehair filled topper. Perhaps on this bed you tend to fall asleep in place and not move all night? I am usually a back-side-stomach sleeper!

An interesting note--The sales lady said it is possible to buy any sample in the store at 20% off. You just have to wait until they get a replacement in from Sweden (14 weeks, I think) before you can take it home.

This message was modified Sep 12, 2007 by ecd90651
Re: Hastens 2000T spring question
Reply #6 Sep 24, 2007 8:18 PM
Actually the bed gets better, the top piece has flattened out, and we do nothing to it except turning and flipping it. When we turn the bed we sort of wad it up and throw it on the floor- a mini-massage I guess. I would say the bed gets firmer as time goes on, I wanted the firm but my wife is 97-100 lbs and it was too hard for her. So we compromised and I am glad we did. When we turn it she walks all over the mattress without the top piece on it, mattress massage and a little excersise for her-lol.

Last week we were in Vancouver BC and we stay at the Fairmont Vancouver Hotel 5-star and they have some excellent beds, but I missed my bed at home, I was surprised as I used to think thiers were about the best. The price of the bed is, as I said absurd, the only downside, but I think the price is justified for the quality and long term durability. Apperently many Europeans sleep on 80-100 yr old Hastens beds today, an heirloom sort of. I have had back problems for years and used to be careful just getting out of bed, roll on my side and slowly sit up, then attempt to stand up. This was a month ago- now I get out of bed. I know this sounds stupid, but it is a very positive thing in my life. But It is JUST a bed, after all.
Reply #7 Sep 25, 2007 10:42 AM
Great post,finally somebody talking about Hastens.
I'm about to buy an Excelsior but the matter of "medium or firm" is killing me....
Assuming that I'm 6.0 and 171lbs, what do you think the best bet would be ???? Now you say " go and try one",but living on a small island out in the mediterranean sea it becomes quite complicated all the time to catch a flight to the Hastens Store in Rome,or at least I don't want to fly to Rome just for a damn bed !!
Anyway,how medium is a medium Excelsior?? Do you sink on the top but at the same time you feel sustained in the deep? Any hammocking feel? The idea of sinking a bit does not bother,the point is what makes you sink? the top little mattres (bj or bjx) or the mattress itself?
In this case then if I buy a firm Excelsior will I still feel the sinking sensation from the top ?.
To make a long story short,wich type of firmness you need to have in order to feel the "sleep on a cloud feeling"? the "no pressure on hips and shoulders" feeling?

Thanks anyone for any input.

p.s. I'm green with envy about your 2000T
This message was modified Sep 25, 2007 by Need4sleep
Reply #8 Sep 25, 2007 2:23 PM
I think at 6 foot, 171 lb, that the medium would be best.  The Excelsior is firmer feeling than the 2000T.  When I was investigating Hastens a while back, the representative I was talking with indicated they would recommend the firm only to individuals over 200 lb.
DianeK
Reply #9 Sep 26, 2007 12:34 AM
Buying a mattress is a very subjective thing, what I like may not be what you like. Concidering the price of Hastens beds, i think is worth your time to judge for yourself, spend the day there if you have to. The ticket will cost much less than the mattress. I tend to agree with Dianek in that the medium may be ok for you. I am 260 and 6'+ and it is good for me. I thought I made a mistake for a month or so-true. I was so upset with myself- lots of money. But the mattress settled in and I am completely happy with it. The salesman told me that I would hate him for a month- he was right-no death threats but close-lol.
Reply #10 Sep 30, 2007 1:54 PM
I own a company called Sleep etc., and I am the Hastens Dealer in CT. In fact, I am was the first Hastens dealer in the US, so I am well qualified to provide accurate information and comparisons.
To answer the question of "which firmness to buy", the answer is of course dependant of which firmness is comfortable to you, but I would put the most weight on the spring unit that is tensioned correctly to keep your spine aligned properly.

If you are lying on your side, your shoulders and hips should sink in, but you should not hammock into the bed.  If you drew a line down your spine from between your shoulder blades down to your but, the line should be straight.  On a mattress that is too hard, there will be a curve to your spine.  If the mattress is too soft, you will hammock into it and there will be a curve to your spine.  The person who was 177lbs, would be best matched with the Hastens medium.  The gauge of the wire and the tension of the coils will keep that persons spine the straightest.

I have sold hundreds of Hastens beds and I would say that 99 out of 100 people who buy them absolutely love their beds. The biggest concerns are the price and the maintenance issues.

Hastens are made with a much higher quality of materials than other beds and they are hand made to further assure the quality. But this creates a bed that will cost much more than most beds. But if the bed is more comfortable, more supportive, cooler to sleep on and will last 50 years, it is worth it to most people.

The natural materials do settle. The typical Hastens mattress will lose about 1/2" of its thickness in the first year as it settles, so it is important to flip and rotate the mattress every 2 to 4 months for the first 12 to 18 months. After that, you can generally get away with flipping only once or twice per year.

I offer a no charge flipping service to my local customers as the beds are very heavy, but we ship these beds to all 50 states, so the flipping is something to keep in mind.

I also carry Carpe Diem Beds of Sweden and I am investigating several other brands of Swedish beds.

Carpe Diem has been extremely popular in my shops. It is the same quality as Hastens but uses natural latex instead of horse hair. This makes is slightly softer and it does not need to be flipped. The beds have modern look that my customers also love.

This message was modified Mar 25, 2008 by a moderator
Reply #11 Sep 30, 2007 4:11 PM
Hello,

I've been sleeping on a Hastens Naturally for a few years now and they are great beds. I wish I could have afforded the Excelsior as I think it's more comfortable then the 2000T (or at least was a few years ago.) I would go for the medium.

Best Wishes
Reply #12 May 28, 2009 1:40 PM
Hello, I am a Hastens Rep in Toronto Canada, I aggree with my CT friend, a hastens is a comfort thing, suport is there in every bed

the suport that is right for you , is what we help you find.

The quilty of steel we use in our beds is stronger an treated so that in 25 years the springs will remain in place and will be doing the same great job.

This company has been around for over 180 years, we are not a 10year old company with a 25 year waranty.

Recent Posts