Got a SleepEZ 10000 coming my way
Aug 8, 2011 7:27 PM
2 days short of 4 weeks sleeping on the Serta iComfort Revolution, I'm positive it won't work out - too soft, hips,butt sink in too much, not good for back or neck.  Tried the firmer Genius, but now, I'm not so impressed with memory foam as I am with latex.  First tried latex at a local organic mattress store and was really liking the feel.

Been looking at all the vendors of layered latex mattresses.  I like SleepEZ's 'easier' prices and policies and Shawn was very nice on the two prior phone calls.  So I'm rolling with his recommendation, a blended talalay 10000 in SMF.  I'm hoping for a great mattress so I can write some 5 star reviews for a change.

This message was modified Aug 8, 2011 by slpngoc
Re: Got a SleepEZ 10000 coming my way
Reply #3 Aug 8, 2011 11:39 PM
Ha ha! Thanks so much! Truthfully I'd pay for the SleepEZ if I could get it right! The jury is still out on the cheapo Sam's spring mattress.

Friday night was ok. Little bit of ache in the morning, but not bad. But, the mattress was so firm that I had a hard time falling asleep.

Saturday I put a simple 1" memory foam topper on it. Nothing fancy- like 3lb, but just enough to help a bit. Well- that was a BAD idea.

Sunday we both woke up at 5am with excruciating back pain! I mean bad. We both promptly moved to the guest room. Of course, after about five minutes I just could not lay down anymore and had to get up. And my back hurt all day yesterday.

Sunday night we tried again mattress only, no topper. That was ok. I managed to stay on my back most of the night (I am primarily a stomach sleeper). No major pain this morning. I wouldn't say I felt refreshed, but I wasn't really in much pain either. Of course, I took an Aleve before I went to bed and only slept about 6 hours.

My husband insists that we have to give it a week before we toss it and see how it goes. So, I'll keep trying, unless I wake up with the pain like yesterday again! Then, I might be done. That said, this is really no worse than any other mattress I've had in the last six months. I just really don't know what the problem is. The pain usually goes away throughout the day and is quite frequently back in the morning when I wake up- to varying degrees. 

A friend of ours has that Sleep Science 13" Ara from Costco and he loves it. He swears it's firm, but not too firm and that you dont sink too much. I keep trying to get my husband to go lay on it with me. I know you can't tell from 5 minutes, but you can sometimes tell that quickly if you DON'T like something.

So, we'll see! Too soon to call this success or failure of my cheapo mattress adventure, but I'll keep you posted if we wind up happy or if we retreat!

Reply #4 Aug 8, 2011 11:51 PM
Dallasgirl,

Any chance you two have tried an adjustable base bed?  I've tried a few - with a Tempurpedic Cloud, iComfort and a nice Posturepedic.  All I know is when my feet are up a bit and my torso up a bit, it feels really good.  When I adjust the base to flat again, it feels bad laying flat on my back.  It just shows how much the adjustment helps.  I like to end up on a great foam mattress, then upgrade to an adjustable base in a year or so.

They are somewhat pricey, but they work with foam beds and many coil spring beds too.  They're not just for people in the hospital either.

Reply #5 Aug 9, 2011 12:16 AM
I was actually just thinking about it! Or even some of these "inclined box springs". My father is a physician and has elevated the head of their bed for years!
Reply #6 Aug 9, 2011 3:24 AM
I agree with giving the bed a week.  If your back is in a different sleeping position on the new mattress, if it's muscle pain, it might take a while for the muscles to adjust to new position.
Reply #7 Aug 9, 2011 12:14 PM
Tomorrow marks 4 weeks on the iComfort Revolution.  Every morning, wake up, turn my head side to side - I hear this 'shck, shck' sound of tissues out of whack in my neck.  Tried 3 or 4 pillows (one of them a Tempurpedic Symphony) that work fine with conventional beds.  It is the bed in this case.  When laying on my back, can feel my butt sunk a fair amount into mattress...

I've read that is pretty much always not good.  Never had a bed like this before.  Now I know....

The saying 'get a firm mattress' really means get a supportive mattress and that should mean no 'butt sinking into the bed' (hammocking effect).

This message was modified Aug 9, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #8 Aug 10, 2011 1:32 AM
My neck makes a noise when I turn it from side to side all the time.  Maybe it's an age thing.  I don't have any neck cricks, aches or pains when I wake up.  But I've had stiff necks and back pains and I know how debilitating they can be.  A good night's sleep is critical to being functional during the day.  I hope you soon have the bed of your dreams (pun intended) slpngoc.
Reply #9 Aug 10, 2011 12:44 PM
sleepswithcats wrote:

My neck makes a noise when I turn it from side to side all the time.  Maybe it's an age thing.  I don't have any neck cricks, aches or pains when I wake up.  But I've had stiff necks and back pains and I know how debilitating they can be.  A good night's sleep is critical to being functional during the day.  I hope you soon have the bed of your dreams (pun intended) slpngoc.

Thanks.  SleepEZ must have shipped out the same night because it was on UPS ground out of Phoenix the next day!  It's due in tomorrow.  Phoenix to SF area is what, 800 miles?

Reply #10 Aug 11, 2011 10:09 PM
Ok, so my SleepEZ 10000 arrived from Phoenix to CA in less than 3 days after ordering.  Came by UPS ground. 

pic1

SleepEZ 10000

pic2

One note is if you get something like this, spread the cover bottom out as much as possible before putting the first layer of latex in.  I spread it out quite a bit, but when I put the first layer in, I was thinking, oh no .... I think maybe the latex is too long for the cover.  No, no.  I worked it by hand for a while to get the latex and cover in good position.  It came together and zipped up nicely.  I worked at casual pace, but it took me a good hour or so by self to unbox and put everything together.

As you may know I tend to be rather vocal, so I'll probably be on here making a lot of comments about how it is going.

Now I get to research foundations to go with this all latex mattress.  I understand slatted wood foundations are common with all latex mattresses.

This message was modified Aug 11, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #11 Aug 11, 2011 11:22 PM
It certainly looks very nice and comfortable. I'm sure you'll let us know how it feels!

Reply #12 Aug 12, 2011 6:01 AM
I didn't think the three layers of latex were going to fit into the cover either, but it fit just right and I was able to zip it closed without a lot of forcing.  Both the cover and the latex look really nice.  It took me a long time to put mine together too.  I happened to do put mine together on the hottest day of the year (no A/C).  Hopefully the third time is the charm!

Recent Posts