Got a SleepEZ 10000 coming my way
Aug 8, 2011 7:27 PM
2 days short of 4 weeks sleeping on the Serta iComfort Revolution, I'm positive it won't work out - too soft, hips,butt sink in too much, not good for back or neck.  Tried the firmer Genius, but now, I'm not so impressed with memory foam as I am with latex.  First tried latex at a local organic mattress store and was really liking the feel.

Been looking at all the vendors of layered latex mattresses.  I like SleepEZ's 'easier' prices and policies and Shawn was very nice on the two prior phone calls.  So I'm rolling with his recommendation, a blended talalay 10000 in SMF.  I'm hoping for a great mattress so I can write some 5 star reviews for a change.

This message was modified Aug 8, 2011 by slpngoc
Re: Got a SleepEZ 10000 coming my way
Reply #1 Aug 8, 2011 8:28 PM
Best of luck!

While the SleepEZ did not work for us, I do agree with all the other comments here that Shawn, Nancy, and Jeremy have been EXCELLENT. Everything about our experience with SleepEZ was outstanding. We just could never get the right layering combination to avoid back pain :(  I wish we could! But we have it 2 months with no luck and finally gave up.

Reply #2 Aug 8, 2011 9:23 PM
Dallasgirl wrote:

Best of luck!

While the SleepEZ did not work for us, I do agree with all the other comments here that Shawn, Nancy, and Jeremy have been EXCELLENT. Everything about our experience with SleepEZ was outstanding. We just could never get the right layering combination to avoid back pain :(  I wish we could! But we have it 2 months with no luck and finally gave up.

Thanks.  Long as I'm not sinking in too much, should be fine.   I hope the Sam's Club mattress works out for you two.  If it does, you'll have made a huge bargain!

Reply #3 Aug 8, 2011 11:39 PM
Ha ha! Thanks so much! Truthfully I'd pay for the SleepEZ if I could get it right! The jury is still out on the cheapo Sam's spring mattress.

Friday night was ok. Little bit of ache in the morning, but not bad. But, the mattress was so firm that I had a hard time falling asleep.

Saturday I put a simple 1" memory foam topper on it. Nothing fancy- like 3lb, but just enough to help a bit. Well- that was a BAD idea.

Sunday we both woke up at 5am with excruciating back pain! I mean bad. We both promptly moved to the guest room. Of course, after about five minutes I just could not lay down anymore and had to get up. And my back hurt all day yesterday.

Sunday night we tried again mattress only, no topper. That was ok. I managed to stay on my back most of the night (I am primarily a stomach sleeper). No major pain this morning. I wouldn't say I felt refreshed, but I wasn't really in much pain either. Of course, I took an Aleve before I went to bed and only slept about 6 hours.

My husband insists that we have to give it a week before we toss it and see how it goes. So, I'll keep trying, unless I wake up with the pain like yesterday again! Then, I might be done. That said, this is really no worse than any other mattress I've had in the last six months. I just really don't know what the problem is. The pain usually goes away throughout the day and is quite frequently back in the morning when I wake up- to varying degrees. 

A friend of ours has that Sleep Science 13" Ara from Costco and he loves it. He swears it's firm, but not too firm and that you dont sink too much. I keep trying to get my husband to go lay on it with me. I know you can't tell from 5 minutes, but you can sometimes tell that quickly if you DON'T like something.

So, we'll see! Too soon to call this success or failure of my cheapo mattress adventure, but I'll keep you posted if we wind up happy or if we retreat!

Reply #4 Aug 8, 2011 11:51 PM
Dallasgirl,

Any chance you two have tried an adjustable base bed?  I've tried a few - with a Tempurpedic Cloud, iComfort and a nice Posturepedic.  All I know is when my feet are up a bit and my torso up a bit, it feels really good.  When I adjust the base to flat again, it feels bad laying flat on my back.  It just shows how much the adjustment helps.  I like to end up on a great foam mattress, then upgrade to an adjustable base in a year or so.

They are somewhat pricey, but they work with foam beds and many coil spring beds too.  They're not just for people in the hospital either.

Reply #5 Aug 9, 2011 12:16 AM
I was actually just thinking about it! Or even some of these "inclined box springs". My father is a physician and has elevated the head of their bed for years!
Reply #6 Aug 9, 2011 3:24 AM
I agree with giving the bed a week.  If your back is in a different sleeping position on the new mattress, if it's muscle pain, it might take a while for the muscles to adjust to new position.
Reply #7 Aug 9, 2011 12:14 PM
Tomorrow marks 4 weeks on the iComfort Revolution.  Every morning, wake up, turn my head side to side - I hear this 'shck, shck' sound of tissues out of whack in my neck.  Tried 3 or 4 pillows (one of them a Tempurpedic Symphony) that work fine with conventional beds.  It is the bed in this case.  When laying on my back, can feel my butt sunk a fair amount into mattress...

I've read that is pretty much always not good.  Never had a bed like this before.  Now I know....

The saying 'get a firm mattress' really means get a supportive mattress and that should mean no 'butt sinking into the bed' (hammocking effect).

This message was modified Aug 9, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #8 Aug 10, 2011 1:32 AM
My neck makes a noise when I turn it from side to side all the time.  Maybe it's an age thing.  I don't have any neck cricks, aches or pains when I wake up.  But I've had stiff necks and back pains and I know how debilitating they can be.  A good night's sleep is critical to being functional during the day.  I hope you soon have the bed of your dreams (pun intended) slpngoc.
Reply #9 Aug 10, 2011 12:44 PM
sleepswithcats wrote:

My neck makes a noise when I turn it from side to side all the time.  Maybe it's an age thing.  I don't have any neck cricks, aches or pains when I wake up.  But I've had stiff necks and back pains and I know how debilitating they can be.  A good night's sleep is critical to being functional during the day.  I hope you soon have the bed of your dreams (pun intended) slpngoc.

Thanks.  SleepEZ must have shipped out the same night because it was on UPS ground out of Phoenix the next day!  It's due in tomorrow.  Phoenix to SF area is what, 800 miles?

Reply #10 Aug 11, 2011 10:09 PM
Ok, so my SleepEZ 10000 arrived from Phoenix to CA in less than 3 days after ordering.  Came by UPS ground. 

pic1

SleepEZ 10000

pic2

One note is if you get something like this, spread the cover bottom out as much as possible before putting the first layer of latex in.  I spread it out quite a bit, but when I put the first layer in, I was thinking, oh no .... I think maybe the latex is too long for the cover.  No, no.  I worked it by hand for a while to get the latex and cover in good position.  It came together and zipped up nicely.  I worked at casual pace, but it took me a good hour or so by self to unbox and put everything together.

As you may know I tend to be rather vocal, so I'll probably be on here making a lot of comments about how it is going.

Now I get to research foundations to go with this all latex mattress.  I understand slatted wood foundations are common with all latex mattresses.

This message was modified Aug 11, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #11 Aug 11, 2011 11:22 PM
It certainly looks very nice and comfortable. I'm sure you'll let us know how it feels!

Reply #12 Aug 12, 2011 6:01 AM
I didn't think the three layers of latex were going to fit into the cover either, but it fit just right and I was able to zip it closed without a lot of forcing.  Both the cover and the latex look really nice.  It took me a long time to put mine together too.  I happened to do put mine together on the hottest day of the year (no A/C).  Hopefully the third time is the charm!
Reply #13 Aug 13, 2011 11:22 AM
I did need to place a call to SleepEZ to have my receipt email over.  No biggie. Ended up talking to Christina, Shawn's sister and like Shawn, very nice and courteous.  Email 'invoice' came quickly, and it's a nice invoice.  All info is there - product, payment method, shipping track numbers ... like a business invoice, not a silly retail sales receipt. 

Their warranty card is on their site, so I printed that out too, filed it with receipt.

It's way early for comfort comments, but it sleeps way cooler than the Revolution, don't sink in, and ... I like it.  'Nuff said, only 2 nights :)

This message was modified Aug 13, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #14 Aug 14, 2011 5:44 PM
slpngoc wrote:

2 days short of 4 weeks sleeping on the Serta iComfort Revolution, I'm positive it won't work out - too soft, hips,butt sink in too much, not good for back or neck.  Tried the firmer Genius, but now, I'm not so impressed with memory foam as I am with latex.  First tried latex at a local organic mattress store and was really liking the feel.

Been looking at all the vendors of layered latex mattresses.  I like SleepEZ's 'easier' prices and policies and Shawn was very nice on the two prior phone calls.  So I'm rolling with his recommendation, a blended talalay 10000 in SMF.  I'm hoping for a great mattress so I can write some 5 star reviews for a change.

Thanks for sharing info.

1) What are the ILD values for SMF (20,30,40 respectively)?

2) Is the wool embedded in the cover? Throughout the whole cover, or just parts of it (e.g. top)?

3) Since these are separate pieces, does that mean it is not considered a mattress (in terms of safety standards) and therefore is not subject to the open flame standard (e.g. no flame retardants required)?

4) Is the wool treated with any chemicals?

Thanks,

pimy

Reply #15 Aug 14, 2011 7:18 PM
pimy wrote:

Thanks for sharing info.

2) Is the wool embedded in the cover? Throughout the whole cover, or just parts of it (e.g. top)?

3) Since these are separate pieces, does that mean it is not considered a mattress (in terms of safety standards) and therefore is not subject to the open flame standard (e.g. no flame retardants required)?

Thanks,

pimy

Check SleepEZ site for the ILD's ... it's a range for each.  Wool quilted in the top.  It's got a law tag and I'm sure conforms to the federal requirements.  They sell a lot of mattresses.

I don't know if the non-organic is not treated with any sort of chemicals.  Talk to shawn at SleepEZ.

Reply #16 Aug 14, 2011 7:18 PM
pimy wrote:

Thanks for sharing info.

Thanks,

pimy

Check SleepEZ site for the ILD's ... it's a range for each.  Wool quilted in the top.  It's got a law tag and I'm sure conforms to the federal requirements.  They sell a lot of mattresses.

I don't know if the non-organic is not treated with any sort of chemicals.  Talk to shawn at SleepEZ.

Reply #17 Aug 14, 2011 7:23 PM
Ok, so a little bit of feedback coming through.  The bed is setup with only a super-thin terry protect-a-bed and fitted sheet on mattress.  There is definitely more pushback coming into my right shoulder (the old injury) than I'd like.

First thought this morning was, geez, I would need a topper for this. I looked at HolyLambOrganics and they make an organic wool/cotton topper(s), but it's over $300 even in twin XL.   I think that leaves me with trying something locally which is usually memory foam.   

Hopped over to Sleep Train to try TP Cloud and Contour Select and I'm virtually certain both of those offer a fair amount less pushback / more pressure relief.

Reply #18 Aug 15, 2011 1:05 AM
My all Dunlop latex mattress has softened up a tad in the 6 weeks I've had it.  I don't sink in, but there is a little more give at the top layer.  Since you have talalay on your top layer, perhaps it will also soften up some.  I was hoping latex was going to be a winner for you, slpngoc.
Reply #19 Aug 15, 2011 1:36 AM
sleepswithcats wrote:

My all Dunlop latex mattress has softened up a tad in the 6 weeks I've had it.  I don't sink in, but there is a little more give at the top layer.  Since you have talalay on your top layer, perhaps it will also soften up some.  I was hoping latex was going to be a winner for you, slpngoc.

Thanks.  I'm not going to freak out, just fine tune things.

Was looking at SnugFleece wool mattress topper pads.  I'm sure I'll find something like wool or memory topping to dial in the feel.

Reply #20 Aug 15, 2011 12:36 PM
I don't think Sleepez's soft is really that soft.  You could try an inch or two of 19 or 14 ILD on top ( or maybe one inch of each) to soften the top.  I think their soft is something like 22-24ILD.  If you do that and add a wool mattress protector, it might work for you.  Otherwise, I think you are headed to a custom zoned mattress eventually.  Why not, you are doing the round robin anyway.  It is interesting watching your adventure.  Thanks for posting them.
Reply #21 Aug 15, 2011 1:07 PM
Sall wrote:

I don't think Sleepez's soft is really that soft.  You could try an inch or two of 19 or 14 ILD on top ( or maybe one inch of each) to soften the top.  I think their soft is something like 22-24ILD.  If you do that and add a wool mattress protector, it might work for you.  Otherwise, I think you are headed to a custom zoned mattress eventually.  Why not, you are doing the round robin anyway.  It is interesting watching your adventure.  Thanks for posting them.

Thanks.  You're right, it is 22-24 ILD.  It still has quite a bit of cush though.  There's an innerspring mattress in next with room 'medium' PU foam topper and eek that's harder than where I'm at now.

This message was modified Aug 16, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #22 Aug 18, 2011 10:35 PM
slpgnoc,

How is this bed working out for you?? The cheapo Sam's bed is hit and miss. Some days good, some days bad. :( I swear!

Re: Got a SleepEZ 10000 coming my way- maybe you need a soft latex topper? I bought this one in1" in 2007 and I LOVE it. So I am sharing. From Lynn2006
Reply #23 Aug 19, 2011 12:15 AM
Brylane Home Latex Mattress Topper- Promo Code: BHWEBFS for free shipping with over $50

Brylane Home Latex Mattress Topper

Item #: 1583-11487-1238

Orig: $129.99 - $269.99

Sale: $55.99 - $117.99 (Free shipping with first order when you register….I found the free shipping code for you above.....Also it says you get $10 for referring and the one receiving gets $10… if it is a coupon & if you are able to use both, you can use my $10 if you gave my name if not this is a great topper since I bought the 1” soft one that is all natural with no smell and I love it with free shipping… this one is 1.5” but it may be good also and there is a 90 day return policy… I only needed 1” and I am so glad that is what they sold in 2007)

$55.99 for twin & then goes up in price until $117.99 for King. 

http://www.brylanehome.com/decor/Latex-Mattress-Topper.aspx?PfId=202523&DeptId=15326&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=G&pref=ps

Stay cooler and more comfortable while you sleep with our ventilated mattress topper. Spot clean only. Imported.

·  All natural and eco-friendly

·  1½" thick foam

·  Superior support for your spine

·  Durable and long-lasting

·  Perfect on any surface

Reply #24 Aug 19, 2011 12:41 AM
Dallasgirl,

The support is good for me with this SleepEZ bed.  I only have a superthin (like a sheet) mattress protector and fitted sheet on the mattress and it's not enough cush at this point.  I'm not sure if there's a little too much push back and pressure point coming from the Soft layer.  I'll try a premium mattress protector with a nice layer of pillowy material.  Hopefull that will keep me laying in one position longer by the time 5am comes around

So, it's good, but needs a little work for me.  One thing noticed is the 'organic' SleepEZ ad's 19-22 ILD for the all natural talalay Soft layer and 22-24 ILD for the blended talalay soft layer.  Need to ask Shawn if typo or why that is. 

Lynn, thanks for the info and links! I'll check 'em.

This message was modified Aug 19, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #25 Aug 20, 2011 11:01 AM
This slatted wood foundation seems to have increased pressure points.  Yesterday I scrambled to get a poly fill mattress pad and cheap memory foam topper to help out.  Today I need to shop for a quality memory foam topper, probably 2".  Maybe I'll look into a low ILD latex topper too. 
This message was modified Aug 20, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #26 Aug 20, 2011 9:08 PM
I just purchased a Sleep Innovations 2.5" gel memory foam topper from Costco, put it on the SleepEZ 10000 bed.  I'd like to stay away from the non-natural stuff in the long run, but I'm working to get really easy on the joints while maintaining the support the SleepEZ offers.

I've seen some of the toppers offered at Sleep Like a Bear in Nevada and I might try one of the Latex Intl Celsion 15 ILD toppers eventually.  Just not in the mood to mail order now.  Too much already.

I think many people would be just fine with this SleepEZ 10000 blended talalay in F/M/S.  It really offers very good support with a nice bouncy little feel.  I have to deal with the old right shoulder injury which is very sensitive to pressure and I rely on laying on it. 

I've compared the bare SleepEZ 10000 to a Temurpedic regular Cloud, am I'm quite sure the Cloud offers less 'pushback' hence more pressure relief on joints.  Both make me sink about the same amount into the mattress.  But, I can fine tune things with toppers. 

This message was modified Aug 20, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #27 Aug 21, 2011 9:06 AM

This is starting to get ugly .... the slatted wood foundation has taken things backwards IMO.  I figure there is just no give in those wood slats, so it increases the pushback from the latex.   Above I mentioned using a topper last, here's the result -

Here is some quick feedback on the Novaform 2.5" gel memory foam topper -   ahhhhhh, fail

says 'Ultimate Comfort ... you don't sink in' - fail.  First thing I noticed is I sink a lot into the memory foam

says 'Superior Pressure Point Relief ... distributes weight to reduce tossing and turning' - fail.  No it didn't.  It didn't kick down much of the pushback coming from this latex mattress.

says 'Breathable comfort .... - never too warm, always just right' - Big fat fail.   Folks, it was hot

The gel foam doens't magically whisk the heat away to nowhere.  Where does the body heat go anyway?   Is there any air flow system in the topper?  Or in the top layer of a Novaform or iComfort?    Is there any convoluted foam to give the heat channels to dissipate?   No.

---------------------------------------------

Bottom line - awful lot of Tempurpedic wannabees out there.

Reply #28 Aug 21, 2011 4:15 PM
slpngoc,

Sorry to hear this! I wonder if this was our issue with the latex? We only have like 8" of latex on the wood foundation which really had no give at all! Sadly, at this point I am not about to try all that again. Rolling those latex layers back up into the boxes for return was less than thrilling. And one of the funnier things I've ever done too.

Do you still have your other box springs? can you go back to that and see if it's better?

I went mattress hunting again for a little while yesterday and I did really like the Tempurpedic Deluxe. Seems like a nice medium to firm. Not so soft and sinking as the Cloud models, but not as hard as the Advantage and Original. Somewhere in the middle. Nicely conforming, but not too much sinking. Trying to get my husband over to see one.

Good luck with this! Keep us posted.

Reply #29 Aug 21, 2011 5:57 PM
Dallasgirl wrote:

slpngoc,

Sorry to hear this! I wonder if this was our issue with the latex? We only have like 8" of latex on the wood foundation which really had no give at all! Sadly, at this point I am not about to try all that again. Rolling those latex layers back up into the boxes for return was less than thrilling. And one of the funnier things I've ever done too.

Do you still have your other box springs? can you go back to that and see if it's better?

I went mattress hunting again for a little while yesterday and I did really like the Tempurpedic Deluxe. Seems like a nice medium to firm. Not so soft and sinking as the Cloud models, but not as hard as the Advantage and Original. Somewhere in the middle. Nicely conforming, but not too much sinking. Trying to get my husband over to see one.

Good luck with this! Keep us posted.

I still have the serta foundation.  Tonight going to try the iComfort on the stiff slatted foundation.

Your stores may not have the Tempurpedic Contour Select out yet, but I would recommend that.  The Contour Signature is even thicker and a bit much for my taste.  The base Contour is pretty thin, only 8" height.

The Contour Select hits a nice medium at 10" mattress height with about 4" memory foam.  That foam is fairly slow acting, but it conforms well and relieves pressure quite well.   I know the twinXL set is $1850, so I guess a king would be about $2,500 which is not too awfully bad.

Reply #31 Aug 22, 2011 3:28 PM
Dallasgirl wrote:

Thanks! You are pretty much right on the money! King mattress is $2300 / set is $2800.

I believe the Contour Select is the same as what had been the Deluxe. Is that correct?

Any thoughts on inclining the box spring? http://www.amazon.com/Incline-Box-Spring-Reflux-Remedy/dp/B004XUMWBI/ref=pd_sbs_hg_1

Deluxe bed which is discontinued had the dual air flow system.  Contour Select only has single air flow system like Advantage Bed has (had?).

Don't kow about inlcine box spring.

Reply #32 Aug 22, 2011 3:35 PM
Ah wow, so I promptly pulled up the slatted wooden foundation this morning.  It had pine slats a little less than 3" apart.  Man that thing was putting extra pressure into my shoulder blade and shoulder.  I even had the icomfort Rev. on it last night and still felt bunch of extra pressure into both shoulders.    SleepEZ is being cool and crediting the cost back.  They said don't worry about shipping it back, so hopefully I can give it away to someone who needs it.

Reply #33 Aug 22, 2011 4:22 PM
slpngoc wrote:

Ah wow, so I promptly pulled up the slatted wooden foundation this morning.  It had pine slats a little less than 3" apart.  Man that thing was putting extra pressure into my shoulder blade and shoulder.  I even had the icomfort Rev. on it last night and still felt bunch of extra pressure into both shoulders.    SleepEZ is being cool and crediting the cost back.  They said don't worry about shipping it back, so hopefully I can give it away to someone who needs it.

what about the flobeds euro slat foundation?   http://www.flobeds.com/product_details.htm?ID=7037EK   so do you still have your sleepez 10000?     

Reply #34 Aug 22, 2011 9:47 PM
Iris wrote:

Iris,

Don't think I'll go with a euro slat foundation.  I'm looking for a slightly used Stearns and Foster twin XL box.  They are built better than the Serta and Beautyrest boxes.

I still have the SleepEZ 10000 and it feel pretty good on the Serta iComfort box, but the box is a little tweaked.  I'd just like a more solid box with a little spring to it.  I'll find it.

As for the 10000, I'm in pretty good shape with it.  It's a wee on the firm side, so I can just try some toppers, or not.  It's going ok.  Things just went south for a couple days on that slatted wood foundation, eeeeek.

Reply #35 Aug 24, 2011 3:00 AM
To the contrary, I am going to look at Euro slat bed bases / foundations.  Seems to make the most sense at this point.

I can't see using an ordinary semi flex box spring which is just a grid of rods at the foundation surface.  Latex is much too soft to be supported by thin rods.

This message was modified Aug 24, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #36 Aug 26, 2011 3:26 PM
Ok, so I assembled the Ikea Sultan Laxeby 'euro slat' bed base last night ($80) for twin.  Has adjustable hip and shoulder firmness which seem to work in trying it out.  It's laying on the metal bed frame at the moment.  The bed base will fit onto the twin XL wood foundation, with mods to the foundation.   Need to test it out a little more before modding the foundation.

As for the latex bed, it is going quite well even on the lamo Serta Stabl base foundation which sags in the middle because there's an 8" gap between vertical support rods, right where hips would go.

Reply #37 Sep 2, 2011 2:20 PM
I gave it a few days sleeping on the Ikea euro slat bed base underneath the SleepEZ latex mattress.  Unfortunately it didn't work out.  The euro slats did firm up the feel of the mattress which is not what I wanted.  Seemed like the mattress had a more 'dead' feel on the euro slats.  I thought maybe the mattress couldn't breathe as well, but I don't really know.  It just had more pushback in critical areas like my shoulder.  I adjusted the sliders to almot full soft and was still too firm.  Ah well, little money down the drain.  I trashed the euro slats.

So, I bought a Stearns and Foster box spring.  Yeah, it's a wire frame box spring, but the vertical support rods are evenly spaced and I don't think the box spring will sag.

So, I'll give a month on this setup and then do a mattress review.

Recent Posts