Flobeds vs. Sleep EZ vs Others: Why the difference in price?
Apr 1, 2010 12:14 AM
Hi,

I've been lurking here for some time and I am grateful this community has been able to provide such insightful information relating to such an important and, lets face it, expensive purchase.

I recently had a chance to lay on a Savvy Rest dunlop mattress recently and the wife and I were were more than pleased. As I did my online research, a number of seemingly reputable companies were repeatedly mentioned: FloBeds, Sleep EZ, Savvy Rest, FoamSweetFoam, Rocky Mountain Mattress, Arizona Mattress, etc. By far, FloBeds and Sleep EZ are mentioned more so than any of the others. I've pretty much narrowed my options down to a purchase from either FloBeds or Sleep EZ (with Savvy Rest coming in at a close third). However, as I compare prices I am utterly astonished at the difference in price between comparable mattresses made by the FloBed Posture Deluxe and a comparable Sleep EZ Model, the 10,000. There is about a $650 difference in price. However, FloBeds' frequent promotions can often cut that difference down to about a $450 difference in price. Of course, FloBed mattresses also come with a 2" convoluted topper and Sleep EZ does not. It should also be noted that Sleep EZ does not charge shipping whereas FloBeds charges about $119 to ship the package to the East Coast. Thus, we have a potential difference in price of about $570-$770, keeping in mind, again, that FloBeds includes the convoluted topper. It should be noted that the foregoing is for the purchase of a blended Talalay latex mattress.

Thusly, I come to the crux of my question. Is FloBeds' customer service and/or product so superior to Sleep EZ to justify their price premium? It almost seems as if the Sleep EZ price, comparatively speaking, is too good to be true. I spoke with Dewey from FloBeds, and he was nothing short of courteous, informative and patient. I also spoke with Sean (Shawn?) from Sleep EZ, and while not as gregarious as Dewey, was still polite and informed. And despite Sleep EZ's "official" exchange policy described on their web site (one time only), many members of this forum have vouched for Sleep EZ, stating that Sleep EZ's exchange program is every bit as liberal/generous as FloBeds' policy. Any thoughts, comments, etc. would be greatly posted. 

Once I make my purchase, I promise to detail both my shopping experience and provide short and long-term reviews of my purchase. Thanks in advance.

Edit: As I'm I was reviewing the two web sites, I wished to amend my post to include the following: FloBeds Warranty: 20 years, prorated after 10 years; Sleep EZ: 15 years. Also, it should be noted that FloBeds mattress casing zips completely off while the Sleep EZ does not.

This message was modified Apr 1, 2010 by Jerseydevil
Re: Flobeds vs. Sleep EZ vs Others: Why the difference in price?
Reply #29 May 18, 2012 10:48 AM
OCJen wrote:

Why is the convoluted layer better for since sleeeers. I have not been able to find a concrete answer. And I feel my current bed with topper is too soft so I'm really confused why I would want to go softer...

As I read it, your current bed topper is too soft because your mattress below it is shot, offering poor support.

As I see it, the convoluted layer is just a choice for the top comfort layer, and is not particularly better for side sleepers although it may help their cause by being spacially less dense and hence more receptive to hip and shoulder plunge, required for the spine to become level.

The convoluted layer facing up would tend to contour more readily to the side sleeper's most contoured side.  Also, the convoluted surface would tend to allow more ventilation beneath the mattress cover than a flat surface, which is most desirable at the Latex/body interface.

As was pointed out above, a convoluted layer would tend to be softer than a normal layer of the same thickness and ILD rating, because it is spacially less dense.  One might suppose that you could therefore use a convoluted layer with a higher ILD rating/firmness to achieve equivalent softness to a normal later.  A minor advantage to this could be increased longevity since softer Latex foam rubber is said to wear out sooner.

Given that a 2" comfort layer on a ~6" core layer is the bare minimum, a 2" convoluted comfort layer that is spacially less dense than a normal 2" comfort layer is not the only comfort layer in the mattress... it must work progressively in concert with the next layer down.  So, I would see the mattress as having a 2x3" core layer and 1x3" plus 1x2" comfort layer.  Zoning the 3" comfort layer could be ideal, if you can get it right.

GK

This message was modified May 18, 2012 by GKDesigns
Reply #30 May 18, 2012 5:54 PM
GKDesigns wrote:

As I read it, your current bed topper is too soft because your mattress below it is shot, offering poor support.

Exactly right!

thanks for the info on layers. Very helpful. I'll keep in mind that I may need to add another layer or switch out the top layer (pretty much going with Sleep EZ)

crock wrote:

It has been said efore, but if you compare the Flobeds prices during one of their sales, they can actually be less than Sleep EZ. The fact that Flobeds gives a 90 day 'we give you the sales price" guarantee makes them very competitive.

Yah I agree about sales, but i very much dislike their 100 day guarantee and having to buy a new layer for $75 instead of switching out.. just my feeling.

Reply #31 May 25, 2012 11:56 PM
You don't pay the $75 for the first 90 days. That is the charge for the first five years AFTER the first 90 days.You do have to pay for shipping the layer one way.
Reply #32 May 30, 2012 2:25 AM
As far as I can interpret you doo pay the 75 dollars in the first 90 days as told by flobeds CS, "you use the goldilocks guarantee at day 2 as in day 200"

Recent Posts