First time Buyer - help! There are too many options!
Apr 17, 2009 6:52 PM
I am escatic I found this forum its very helpful but as I read more the more confused I've became. Initially, I thought tempurdic or ortho were the way to go for the best mattress. I am still having a hard time differentiating from Latex and Foam. Can someone help me clarify the difference? I am 5'9 and weight 105 (I have a small frame overall) so pressure points been a persistent problem since I sleep on my sides or stomach. Would I buy a firm mattress or softer one? Your knowledge and opinion is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

L from southern California
This message was modified Apr 17, 2009 by Twiggy
Re: First time Buyer - help! There are too many options!
Reply #5 Apr 24, 2009 3:26 PM
Twiggy wrote:
I have read the forum all the different opinions left me with more questions. I been to the mattress stores and physically tried the bed but its difficult to know how i would feel if I take it home. I was hoping to get feedback from someone who has similiar stats and problem as me. Of course I don't expect someone to know my personal comfort preferences. lol Thanks for the tip. :)

Please post if you find anything you like. I am in So Calif and have had a hard time finding high-end beds to try. Not sure where in So Cal but REM Sleep had a nice price on a Natura Eco Brilliance top *only* that I would put on my Latex box. I think i liked it, need to go back and try again. Originally tried it at a place on Western near Melrose that wanted way too much for it.

I am looking for a very soft bed.

Latest order was a 12-14 ILD 3" Dunlop Latex from Fibex. it's made by Latex Green. Should be here any day now.

ABC in NYC is supposed to have some great beds.
Reply #6 Apr 24, 2009 6:22 PM
Thank you Wyndwalkr! That was extremely informative and helpful. Good point if I can sleep all day on a mattress all day with the public and store employees than I won't be on this forum!!! Plus I do live in the heart of LA no sale person would tolerate me lounging around all day. hahaha

I think the memory foam does sound like a better choice for me since I sleep on my sides and I get cold easily in general. Perhaps the memory foam would help with that. I wish there is an store that carry true MF and latex at the same time. How do you tell if they're using a true MF without putting on the "cool" pad?

Thank you all for the response it has been helpful!

It is extremely hard to find a good mattress store in s. California!
Reply #7 Apr 28, 2009 8:29 PM
You get out of life exactly what you put into it.
I would recommend latex over any other materials. I would also recommend something in the soft range around #28 ILD. It will be conforming yet supportive. Stay away from firm mattresses if you are a side sleeper. I personally sleep on an #28 core with a #22 topper. The only problem is I now hate to travel. No hotel has a bed like mine
Reply #8 May 10, 2009 12:58 AM
porchdog wrote:
I would recommend latex over any other materials. I would also recommend something in the soft range around #28 ILD. It will be conforming yet supportive. Stay away from firm mattresses if you are a side sleeper. I personally sleep on an #28 core with a #22 topper. The only problem is I now hate to travel. No hotel has a bed like mine

The ratings must vary greatly between mfg and type of latex. how thick is your core, and topper?  I have 18 Dunlop and it's a tad firmer than I want. I'm thinking about adding another 2" 19 Talalay that is much softer on top.

The 12-14 Dunlop was sent back the same day. it was harder than the 18 i have from the same mfg. go figure.
This message was modified May 10, 2009 by mingus

Recent Posts