First time Buyer - help! There are too many options!
Apr 17, 2009 6:52 PM
I am escatic I found this forum its very helpful but as I read more the more confused I've became. Initially, I thought tempurdic or ortho were the way to go for the best mattress. I am still having a hard time differentiating from Latex and Foam. Can someone help me clarify the difference? I am 5'9 and weight 105 (I have a small frame overall) so pressure points been a persistent problem since I sleep on my sides or stomach. Would I buy a firm mattress or softer one? Your knowledge and opinion is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

L from southern California
This message was modified Apr 17, 2009 by Twiggy
Re: First time Buyer - help! There are too many options!
Reply #1 Apr 17, 2009 8:33 PM
Doesn't sound like you have actually read very many previous forum contributions . . just expecting others to somehow know exactly which configuration will satisy your personal comfort preferences.  You have to at least take the initiative to try some out.  Include Custom Comfort (Orange County, CA) in your research.
Reply #2 Apr 17, 2009 8:56 PM
I have read the forum all the different opinions left me with more questions. I been to the mattress stores and physically tried the bed but its difficult to know how i would feel if I take it home. I was hoping to get feedback from someone who has similiar stats and problem as me. Of course I don't expect someone to know my personal comfort preferences. lol Thanks for the tip. :)
Reply #3 Apr 17, 2009 9:04 PM
The best thing to do to really know if you'll like a mattress you're trying in store is to go to the store in the morning, then sleep on the mattress until they close.

That won't tell you anything about the durability of the mattress, but it should help you figure out if a mattress is going to work for you!
Reply #4 Apr 24, 2009 10:01 AM
Sleep all day on a mattress in a store? (This must be a joke?) First I think they would kick you out, at some point. Second, if a person can sleep on a mattress all day with the public and store employees coming and going and full lights on, they really don't suffer the sleep problems of most of us, do they?

Twiggy, some simple basics between foam, memory foam, and latex are that regular foam is a petrochemical product, has a lot of quality/firmness levels and is hard to find details about in most commercial manufacturers specs. It can be super soft or very hard. Memory foam is a petrochemical product with also many variables on quality and firmness. However, you should find many of these to try out in stores for a reasonable lay down. You may find it to be the right choice for you. Just a personal opinion: Memory foam was "invented" to respond to body heat (softens and molds to your body) but when people started complaining about it sleeping too hot, manufacturers started putting different padding "cool" layers over the MF and I think the MF will have lost it's value in the mattress. Or what the manufacturer has buried under cool padding now is not really true memory foam. (They re-invented a cool MF -- yeah right.) I would stick to the MF that is right on the surface, like Tempurpedic style. Latex is a rubber product. Probably of various combinations of natural and synthetic, but should be (emphasize SHOULD) be at least 70% natural rubber. It is hard to know just what you are getting. It has a -bouncy-springy- feel, soft medium or firm, but not the -sink in- feel of MF.

I had trouble finding a latex mattress to try out. One that was more than a token bit of latex, anyway. Try to find one somewhere that has at least a few inches of latex over regular foam, or, ideally, 6 inches of latex.

I have chosen to go with latex, without any trial, because I eliminated the other choices as uncomfortable for me. I am hoping I made the right choice. (Ordered the foam and stacking it myself.) It is on the way.

Good luck!
Reply #5 Apr 24, 2009 3:26 PM
Twiggy wrote:
I have read the forum all the different opinions left me with more questions. I been to the mattress stores and physically tried the bed but its difficult to know how i would feel if I take it home. I was hoping to get feedback from someone who has similiar stats and problem as me. Of course I don't expect someone to know my personal comfort preferences. lol Thanks for the tip. :)

Please post if you find anything you like. I am in So Calif and have had a hard time finding high-end beds to try. Not sure where in So Cal but REM Sleep had a nice price on a Natura Eco Brilliance top *only* that I would put on my Latex box. I think i liked it, need to go back and try again. Originally tried it at a place on Western near Melrose that wanted way too much for it.

I am looking for a very soft bed.

Latest order was a 12-14 ILD 3" Dunlop Latex from Fibex. it's made by Latex Green. Should be here any day now.

ABC in NYC is supposed to have some great beds.
Reply #6 Apr 24, 2009 6:22 PM
Thank you Wyndwalkr! That was extremely informative and helpful. Good point if I can sleep all day on a mattress all day with the public and store employees than I won't be on this forum!!! Plus I do live in the heart of LA no sale person would tolerate me lounging around all day. hahaha

I think the memory foam does sound like a better choice for me since I sleep on my sides and I get cold easily in general. Perhaps the memory foam would help with that. I wish there is an store that carry true MF and latex at the same time. How do you tell if they're using a true MF without putting on the "cool" pad?

Thank you all for the response it has been helpful!

It is extremely hard to find a good mattress store in s. California!
Reply #7 Apr 28, 2009 8:29 PM
You get out of life exactly what you put into it.
I would recommend latex over any other materials. I would also recommend something in the soft range around #28 ILD. It will be conforming yet supportive. Stay away from firm mattresses if you are a side sleeper. I personally sleep on an #28 core with a #22 topper. The only problem is I now hate to travel. No hotel has a bed like mine
Reply #8 May 10, 2009 12:58 AM
porchdog wrote:
I would recommend latex over any other materials. I would also recommend something in the soft range around #28 ILD. It will be conforming yet supportive. Stay away from firm mattresses if you are a side sleeper. I personally sleep on an #28 core with a #22 topper. The only problem is I now hate to travel. No hotel has a bed like mine

The ratings must vary greatly between mfg and type of latex. how thick is your core, and topper?  I have 18 Dunlop and it's a tad firmer than I want. I'm thinking about adding another 2" 19 Talalay that is much softer on top.

The 12-14 Dunlop was sent back the same day. it was harder than the 18 i have from the same mfg. go figure.
This message was modified May 10, 2009 by mingus

Recent Posts