Essentia
Dec 16, 2009 10:36 PM
I'm new here. I've spent a few hours poking around but haven't found any information on the mattress I'm considering: the Classic 8 by a company called Essentia (www.myessentia.com). They are a Canadian company that makes what is billed as the world's only natural memory foam. Has anyone heard of them? Thanks for taking the time to answer. -Michelle
Re: Essentia
Reply #12 Dec 17, 2009 7:42 PM
been a while since I have posted here....so long in fact my account was wiped lol.

there are many things mentioned about their product that makes me question just exactly what goes into their products....much of the information given is incredibly ambiguous and vague.  which in my experience is really just something done by marketing. 

"Latex:
Milky white sap of the Rubber tree, collected much like Maple tree sap, which coagulates upon exposure to air. Sourced from Indonesia, our 100% natural Dunlop Latex is collected from Rubber Plantations where acceptable working conditions are maintained and there is no practice of child labour.

We only use Oeko-Tex® certified Dunlop latex foam, the most expensive and finest quality natural latex available. It's also allergy-free because it's free of proteins which cause allergic reactions."

This seems quite bizarre as although real allergic reactions to the latex used in mattresses is exceedingly rare you cannot claim it to be allergy free.  Green Sleep makes the purest natural rubber in the world and they still get on occasion a latex allergic reaction. 

But more so than this....what bugs me about it is that if you are considering buying a latex bed for some of the 'hypo-allergenic' benefits you should be made to know that it is precisely because of the proteins found in natural rubber which make it resistant to dust mites and bacterial growth in the product (not just the mattresses ability to breathe).  So removing the proteins kinda defeats one of the main reasons of buying a natural latex product in the first place. 

Also latex is not collected even remotely the same way that maple syrup is collected, it is also not technically sap, it is actually the 'milk' of the tree.  Its one thing if someone outside of the industry called latex sap but when a manufacturer doesn't even seem to know exactly what it is just makes me shake my head.

Other things they claim like having the only natural memory foam in the world kinda bugs me too....Magniflex has been making "natural" varieties of memory foam for years and years....although as mentioned I am incredibly skeptical as to whether this (or Magniflex) is truly an all natural product. 
This message was modified Dec 28, 2009 by a moderator
Reply #13 Dec 18, 2009 7:54 AM
ummmm, try www.bbb.org/canada/
Reply #14 Dec 18, 2009 8:03 AM
not that i can find them on the bbb, just saying, Canada is not a third world country to be suspicious of, it's exactly like the states only if you get your head cut off they'll try to sew it back on for free....
Reply #15 Dec 20, 2009 11:46 AM
Hi Everyone,

I see there's a lot of confusion over our product. I thought i'd help answer a few questions.

We invented a latex memory foam and manufacture it ourselves. Yes, It's a latex foam that feels like memory foam. It's not Dunlop or Talalay, it's our own process. So it has the properties of memory foam..delayed response, pressure relief etc but it's made from rubber tree sap. We call it natural memory foam because most don't know what latex foam is.

Other latex mattresses are topped with wool or cotton to soften the surface, we use our natural memory foam. The mattress ends up being more comfortable than latex alone as it's far more pressure relieving. It's also much more breathable than memory foam....night and day. Breathability is just not as issue with us.

Yes we are relatively new but our product is outstanding and we're doing very well because of it.

Keep your questions coming ;-)
Reply #16 Dec 20, 2009 2:33 PM
essentia wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I see there's a lot of confusion over our product. I thought i'd help answer a few questions.

We invented a latex memory foam and manufacture it ourselves. Yes, It's a latex foam that feels like memory foam. It's not Dunlop or Talalay, it's our own process. So it has the properties of memory foam..delayed response, pressure relief etc but it's made from rubber tree sap. We call it natural memory foam because most don't know what latex foam is.

Other latex mattresses are topped with wool or cotton to soften the surface, we use our natural memory foam. The mattress ends up being more comfortable than latex alone as it's far more pressure relieving. It's also much more breathable than memory foam....night and day. Breathability is just not as issue with us.

Yes we are relatively new but our product is outstanding and we're doing very well because of it.

Keep your questions coming ;-)

For starters I have been unable to locate your company on the Better Business Bureau Website. I checked both your New Jersey and Connecticut store references and all the BBB could give me was that the zip code you had listed was inaccurate and could not give me any information.

Then you make statements like this on your website, and I quote,

"Memory foam mattresses are far more comfortable than latex mattresses. They outperform natural latex mattresses by a land slide. It’s not even close. Making the healthy choice (natural latex) or comfortable choice (memory foam) is a dilemma for many consumers."

And then there is this message from Jack, and I quote.

"I never thought I’d be in the mattress industry.

It all started when a family member was diagnosed with cancer. Physicians made me aware of the toxins in every day items like TVs, microwaves, couches and dashboards.

My family had been in the latex foam business for years and supplied most major brands. I studied the industry and realized that mattresses were manufactured with poor quality components, filled with toxic foams treated with harsh chemicals and layered together with glue.

In looking for alternatives I realized there weren't any. I decided to research and developed something different, a foam made from natural ingredients. I tried offering this foam to major mattress brands but most weren't interested because of the high cost. Those who did buy it only integrated an insignificant amount in order to promote the foam's natural qualities.

As I evaluated brand after brand I realized the industry wasn't overly concerned about consumer health or product quality, just catch phrases and profit margins.

That's when I founded Essentia, more than a brand; a commitment to comfort and quality, without compromise.

Come see what mattresses are like in the future, when the world is GREEN again."

Your website is making claims, and statements, that make no sense to me. Unless, and until, I can see some ratings by the Better Business Bureau I will consider your website nothing more than an attempt at Internet Salesmanship.

This message was modified Dec 20, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #17 Dec 21, 2009 12:52 PM

I’m still intrigued by Essentia and thank the company for taking the time to post more information about their product.

I think what would be really helpful is to have actual Essentia customers post about their experiences with the mattress. I assume Essentia likely has a database of people who have bought their mattresses since they sell direct. Perhaps the company should consider sending a quick email to their customers, asking them to post their experiences, both good and bad, on this site.

-Michelle

Reply #18 Dec 21, 2009 1:46 PM
MichLee wrote:

I’m still intrigued by Essentia and thank the company for taking the time to post more information about their product.

I think what would be really helpful is to have actual Essentia customers post about their experiences with the mattress. I assume Essentia likely has a database of people who have bought their mattresses since they sell direct. Perhaps the company should consider sending a quick email to their customers, asking them to post their experiences, both good and bad, on this site.

-Michelle

More and more this thread is beginning to sound like a complete sales job.

Every day the Internet is becoming more like television. Some programming, and useful information, overlaid, and completely enveloped in commercialization.
Reply #19 Dec 21, 2009 2:26 PM
Sorry. I'm not sure what you mean. I can assure you I have nothing to do with Essentia. I'm just a regular old person looking for a new mattress. I've had a horrible one (my husband picked it out) for the past 10 years and can't wait to get something new. I am leaning toward SleepEz right now, but am still undecided as to which configuration to go with. I like pretty firm mattresses so I'm thinking of very firm / very firm / medium.

I was initially considering a Temperpedic and am thankful to this forum for giving me some more "earth friendly" choices.

-Michelle
Reply #20 Dec 21, 2009 3:30 PM
MichLee wrote:
Sorry. I'm not sure what you mean. I can assure you I have nothing to do with Essentia. I'm just a regular old person looking for a new mattress. I've had a horrible one (my husband picked it out) for the past 10 years and can't wait to get something new. I am leaning toward SleepEz right now, but am still undecided as to which configuration to go with. I like pretty firm mattresses so I'm thinking of very firm / very firm / medium.

I was initially considering a Temperpedic and am thankful to this forum for giving me some more "earth friendly" choices.

-Michelle

Michelle: You have my sincere apologies if I have mistakenly assumed that you are promoting a company, that from everything I have been able to find out, is not as trustworthy as you seem to feel they are. I have still not been able to find anything on them either at the Canadian Better Business Bureau or the United States Better Business Bureau. The information they give on their website does not compute with the Better Business Bureau. Unless, and until, the Better Business Bureau has a rating for this company I would recommend that everyone leave them completely alone. Particularly if you live in the United States since they are a Canadian company. Although they list two locations in the United States neither one of those locations would register at the Better Business Bureau either.

I know what it feels like to be wrongfully accused of " shilling" for a company. Even when that company has an excellent Better Business Bureau rating and has been in the business for 30 years. But your post requesting that this company go through their database of customers and e-mail them to all come here and post their results somehow to me sounds quite inappropriate. The likelihood that they are going to e-mail any customers who have had disputes with them is highly unlikely. They are much more likely to only e-mail folks who are quite pleased with them. That is not what this board wants.

What is needed here are honest people who really examine their mattress experience and report on that experience with as much accurate detail as they can. As you're finding out when your are searching for an item like a mattress that cost several thousand dollars, and in many cases you are going to be purchasing it off of the Internet, you want some assurance that you're not going to be taken for a ride, or greatly disappointed for whatever reason.

Your inquiry into SleepEZ is a good one. Savvy Rest is another company that is highly respected on this board, they also have the benefit of providing both Dunlop and Talalay as does SleepEZ. My personal preference is for FlowBeds because they have the best exchange and return policy that I'm aware of on the Internet. They have excellent customer service and I have been very satisfied with them, as have many other board members. But there are other companies, and there are many reports that you can glean through and come up with more information.

It's just that I have never heard of this company that you ask about, their claims seem over the top to me, and do not square with any other information that I have ever read on the Internet in my extensive six months search for the perfect mattress. The fact that they have no BBB rating leaves them out in the cold as far as I am concerned.

Good luck in your search for the perfect mattress.
This message was modified Dec 21, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #21 Dec 21, 2009 7:42 PM
Eagle, 

Why don't you just request a sample of their product in order to give your "expert" opinion to the forum? 

Philip

Recent Posts