Don't know what else to consider doing....mattress suggestions?
Dec 8, 2010 12:05 AM
From 2005ish to 2009, I had a knock-off air mattress that at my younger age, slept fine.  It eventually leaked and I have been an unhappy sleeper since then.

In early 2009, went to the SAT bed but didn't like it.

Later in 2009, went to the FloBed which is what I have now.  I awake now every morning with moderate to severe tightness in the sacral area and laterally on both sides of my lower back.  I'm on a med over firm over firm grouping of layers.  Additionally, I tend to sleep in the middle of the bed and move around a bit, and I feel the separation between the two sides of the bed and it is annoying.  I ham seriously questioning staying with the FloBed and at times am ready to throw it away....the pain is approaching unbearable.  Within my 90 days, I switched out from firmer cores to softer, and have played with numerous combinations from med/firm/firm to soft/soft/med all with pain.

I am 6ft, 200 lbs, and honestly, seem to sleep on back, side and front at various stages through the night.

I am looking for suggestions on where to go from here.  I honestly don't know if I need a firmer mattress, a softer mattress, an inner-spring mattress or what.  I don't even care that it will cost me $5000 at this point.

So, will Temperpedic be essentially the same?

Thoughts about Select Comfort/Comfortaire?

Lastly, innerspring?  I've looked at Royal Pedic in a store here and they seem like an expensive possibility.

Any other thoughts?

I guess 1) how do I know what firmness level to get?  Are there any options scientifically/objectively to help make this decision?

Chris

This message was modified Dec 17, 2010 by texfire
Re: Don't know what else to consider doing....mattress suggestions?
Reply #18 Jan 9, 2011 11:54 AM
Phoenix wrote:

I think it's obscene what the 7.3 lb costs as well as the tempur (499 for 1" of probably their "regular" density"). At least the tempur has a cover. Their 5.3 lb foam is much cheaper so I really don't understand why either are so much.

I called them to see if I could find out what it was and got a typical rep on the phone who kept repeating "we've been instructed not to give out that information". I told him that was too bad because that kind of lack of transparency and consumers' interest in knowing what was in their mattress was exactly the problem of the "s" companies and that companies like this could much to change this for the better. I then asked him if he could check with a supervisor to find out if he could tell me if it used "VPF" foam and that I could at least "fill in the gaps". He said he'd check and call me back tomorrow.

His answer to "why is the 7.3 lb so expensive" was "it costs more to make" (laughing). I was going to say "yes I realize that but does that justify almost 4.5 times more than your 5.3 lb?" ... but then I realized that using any number over 2 might confuse him.

"Squeegee wars" ... I love it :)

Phoenix

Thanks for the additional sleuthing.

An update to my sojourn in the wilderness, which I post to my "surgery" thread and probably a new thread because it is that important: 

1)  The cotton sheet blanket did not work out....  it ended up; stiffening the feel of the 4 lb memory foam on top so much that the conforming character of the memory foam literally "went away."  I am l resigned to buying the St. Dormier because so many say it is stretchy, which is apparently the critical issue for the mem foam to "work."

2)   I have been experimenting with two separate "halves" of 4 inch layers of the latex, memory, and poly foam... all fo them split in half so two different combinations can be "stacked" and I could roll back and forth and try two different combinations each night.  After narrowing down the "hunt" I thought I had configured both sides the same:

Top  1 inch 4 lb mem foam "eco green.... overstock.com

next  2 separate 1 inch layers 20 ILD latex from Foambymail.com

bottom 1 inch "supersoft" poly foam from boamdistributing.com (sister co to FBM)... mostly to protect the expensive latex from the mattress coils, because the thin felt on top of the coils on my Serta Perfect Sleeper is really thin and cheesy).

I accidentally rolled to the other side and at first thought "wow.. this is firmer and better."    Wondering why... because both were supposed to be the same.

I learned that the bottom layer, over the springs, was still 1 inch of HD36 foam from foamdistributing.com.  I assume the name is to tell you it is approximately 36 ILD, and it is really, really firm.  After a few nights of experimentation, I was shocked at how firm a single layer 4 inches down made the whole combo feel.

It literally had the effect of completely eliminating all the flex, or give, accommodation (and comfort) that the springs were providing! It were as if I had put a board under the top 3 inches!

So how firm your "base" layer and what each layer is all the way down can and will be very, very important.

I am still shocked about how much of a change the 1 inch... all the way down there!

I will post this in a new thread for everyone's benefit.

Off to find the best deal on the St. dormier!

shovel/paul

Re: Paul, question on your mattress pads.....
Reply #19 Jan 9, 2011 12:16 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Has Paul left the building, LOL?  Still wondering on past matress pads you have used and about the Vermont Store blanket, is it thicker than a regular fleece sheet?

Hi Leo3 and all,

After several weeks of experimenting with the cotton blanket, I ditched it because it was stifmmofening the top surface layer that it was negating the benefit of the conforming top 1 inch of 4 lb memory foam, which my tired body absolutely has to have on the top layer.

I interestingly discovered something I will put in a new thread: I experimented with putting just one inch of hard poly foam.... called HD 36 by foamdi stributing.com.... on the bottom of my stack instead of their "supersoft foam" which is my "protection layer" between my expensive latex and the almost exposed mattress springs which have only 1/8 inch or less of cheesy felt on top.  I thought is wouldn't make much difference 3 full inches down, at the bottom of my comfort layer.

WRONGO!  COULD  NOT BE MORE WRONGO!   It made my otherwise pretty comfortable after years and thousands $.... UNSLEEPABLY HARD.!!!!!!  ONE INCH, 3 INCHES DOWN.

TO UNDERSTAND WHY, I TOOK THE TOP 3 INCHES OFF AND JUST SAT ON THE HD36 (LIKE 36 ILD) ON THE SPRINGS.  THEN TOOK THAT OFF AND SAT ON THE SPRINGS ALONE.  THE SPRINGS HAD CONSIDERABLE FLEX AND CONFORM... WHICH IS WHAT THEY ARE DESIGNED TO DO!!!!  EVEN THIS SET OF SPRINGS FOR A FIRM MATTRESS.

WHEN I PUT  THE FIRM 1 INCH "BLOCK" BACK ON TOP ... IT WAS AS IF I HAD PUT A ;PIECE OF 1/4 INCH PLYWOOD ON THE SPRINGS.  THE FIRM POLY "BRIDGED" THE SPRINGS AND PREVENTED ANY BENDING AND SHAPING BY THEM. 

I WAS AND STILL AM SHOCKED AT HOW MUCH DIFFERENCE A SINGLE INCH MADE, NEGATING THE ASSISTING HELP FROM THE SPRINGS.

TO THIS MEANS TO ALL STACKERS THAT EVERY INCH ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE BOTTOM MATTERS.  IT IS LIKELY WHY SANDMAN (AND I) FIND 4 INCHES ON TOP OF SPRINGS MORE COMFORTABLE THAN A BASE OF FIRM FOAM.  JUST TOO HARD AND UNACCOMMODATIVE.

GOOD LUCK, ALL IN FINDING REST.

SHOVEL99/PAUL

Recent Posts