Does anyone have (good / bad / indifferent) feedback about Oodles (Latex "noodles") --VERDICT is IN!!!
Sep 21, 2009 10:41 PM
Hi everyone - I posted a question about this in the previous topic about toppers, but I thought it might get buried there. So I thought I'd start a new one since I'm specificaly interested in whether anyone has experience with Oodles products.

For a variety of reasons, i need a new mattress topper. I was thinking of getting the 2" latex topper from Overstock.com to see how it worked. But while searching tonight, I ran across these "Oodles" products. (Actually they appear to use the infinity symbol (\infty) instead of 'O's in the product name).

I've tested and LOVED shredded latex pillows for the loft and "down alternative" feel.  Apparently Oodles makes pillows AND toppers using latex pellets they call 'springs,' and some kind of natural corn fiber???. (I worry about allergies with the corn fibers... I wonder if there is any info on that anywhere...) I was curious if anyone had tried them. I hadn't seen any mention of them, and in fact when I searched the forum - nothing came up. Maybe they're really new?

Anyway - Costco has the pillows for around $30.00. And I found a 2" topper online (Sportsmanguide.com ?!?) for around $107 for a King size. It's obviously more expensive than a Cuddlebed, but  about $75 less than, say, an ECO topper at Overstock.

If anyone has experience with this, I'd love to hear.  

This message was modified Oct 13, 2009 by SKeeter
Re: Does anyone have (good / bad / indifferent) feedback about Oodles pillows & toppers?
Reply #1 Sep 23, 2009 11:18 AM
Sounds interesting to me!  Why don't you try a twin size and see how that feels?  Are they washable?  Sportsmansguide is a wonderful store, I shop there more than anyplace else online.  One year I did all my Christmas shopping there and got the coolest presents.  I recently purchased solar outside lights and yard stuff, and a solar fountain birdbath, and like all their stuff quite well.  Their prices are the best!  I think they take returns if you are not satisfied, too.  If you try it, please let us know.  I have never heard of this before.
Kait
well, I'm trying it out
Reply #2 Sep 23, 2009 11:46 AM
I'm breaking my own rule about adding padding just one inch at a time, but this product sounds so interesting (and my shoulders are feeling so crunched), I decided to try it. The only place I found a Full size topper is at Bon-Ton (online only, not in stores); $100, free shipping.

After the topper gets here and I've tried it out for a couple nights, I'll report back. (Might be a couple weeks, depending on delivery time.)

-Catherine
Re: Trying Oodles
Reply #3 Sep 23, 2009 11:22 PM
Great - I went ahead and ordered the King Oodles topper since Sportsmanguide has such a good return policy. I also ordered the Oodles pillow, and a Cuddlebed (for good measure) from Costco since i can just run that back to the warehouse if it doesn't work. I will test both types of topper and the pillow and see how they turn out. I'll report back and let you know .

Thanks for the good reveiw on Sportsmanguide.com - I was slightly hesitant about them since there were some questionable merchant reviews, but I liked the little bit of their inventory I saw when I browsed there, and figured I'd shop there again too. Great prices, for sure.

Have a great week!
SK

Re: Does anyone have (good / bad / indifferent) feedback about Oodles (Latex "noodles") pillows & toppers?
Reply #4 Sep 24, 2009 3:58 AM
This oodles sounds very interesting. it's basically little pieces of latex inside a cotton cover. Not sure how "cool" it would be (as advertised) but it does sound like it might be soft and yet supportive. I'd be curious to hear how you like this!

If anyone else is interested, it seems Target and Amazon.com both have them for the same price as Sportsmansclub.com. The king is only 50" more than the twin BUT it doesn't look like something that could be easily cut in half...
Re: Oodles (Latex "noodles") topper
Reply #5 Sep 28, 2009 1:40 PM
OK, let's try this again. I lost my post mid-way through typing it. (Accidentally hit Tab, or something, and everything went away.)

My Oodles topper arrived today.

It has the same latex smell that my Talatech topper had at first, so it is airing out on top of my bed, and I have the bedroom windows open. The smell is not horribly strong, or offensive, but it is noticeable. I'd like to try sleeping on the topper tonight, but we'll see how the airing-out goes (it's about 1:30 pm, eastern time, as I write this). If I don't use it tonight, I'm not sure where I can put it to let it keep airing out.

I lay down on the topper, and my goodness, what floofiness! Not sure I've ever seen or felt anything this floofy before (except for my cat's tail, but that's a different order of magnitude and/or a different kind of floofiness).

The topper is baffled; my Full-size topper has 12 squares. The baffles are definitely needed; it wouldn't hurt to have more, smaller squares. Sure hope the stitches are strong. (When I do make the bed with this, I'll put it over my Talatech topper and beneath my mattress pad, and I'll take off the 1" fiber-bed that's on there now.)

I sink into these Oodles quite a bit. I think I also feel supported, but it's hard to tell in just a few minutes of lying on this thing. And I can't loll around on it anymore right now -- gotta get back to work.

More reports in a couple of days, after I've slept on the Oodles. 

-Catherine
This message was modified Sep 28, 2009 by Catherine
Re: Does anyone have (good / bad / indifferent) feedback about Oodles (Latex "noodles") pillows & toppers?
Reply #6 Sep 28, 2009 2:54 PM
Catherine,

interested to hear more about the topper's 'floofiness'. ;) Thanks for posting--

e-cat
Reply #7 Sep 28, 2009 7:19 PM
The topper aired out pretty quickly, thanks to two open windows and a cool & quite windy day. (Highest temp today was around 61F, and it rained off and on, but the rain didn't come into my bedroom windows.) (Not that the rain has anything to do with anything....)

So I just unmade the bed, took off the fiber-bed and rolled it up, put the Super-Floofy Oodles topper on top of my Talatech topper (1", 24 ILD), put my mattress pad back on, and remade the bed. And now I need a ladder to get into bed.

Well, OK, maybe I don't... but the cat might. She's a good jumper, but she's a petite little girl (8 pounds, full-grown).

The mattress pad will probably smooth out or dampen the sinking feeling a tad -- which might be a good thing. Hard to tell. Bed still feels pretty darn cushy, at least at first. I'm very curious to see if I'll wind up with a good mix of cushiness and support.

If I don't report back in a couple of days, you might need to send a search party over here and have 'em dig me out of my bed.

-Catherine
Reply #8 Sep 28, 2009 8:54 PM
Catherine - looking forward to your report on your oodles topper. But more importantly I'm looking forward to hearing your Update on it after you've had it a few weeks or so...;-D

You said you have a Talalay latex 1" topper of 24ILD. Is that the one from FBM? Or ...? (I'm sure you've said it on here but I forget. Would you remind me?) I'm thinking of getting one from FBM in the near future, maybe for Xmas or something...
Re: Oodles (Latex "noodles") pillows & toppers?
Reply #9 Sep 28, 2009 9:25 PM
jimsocal wrote:
You said you have a Talalay latex 1" topper of 24ILD. Is that the one from FBM? Or ...? (I'm sure you've said it on here but I forget. Would you remind me?) I'm thinking of getting one from FBM in the near future, maybe for Xmas or something...

I got it at SleepLikeaBear.com.

As far as I know, FBM sells toppers in 20 ILD and 32 ILD; nuttin' in between. I haven't bought anything from them.

Now I'm getting off the computer for the night, and shall soon be ensconced in latex noodles. Wait, that doesn't sound right....   ;-)

-Catherine
Reply #10 Sep 29, 2009 9:27 AM
Report after 1st night with the Oodles topper:

Well, I slept till almost 9 this morning, and I almost never do that unless I'm truly wiped out. Which I wasn't, particularly. (I'm not a morning person by any means, but I'm usually up by 7, or 8 at the latest, without an alarm clock.)

Now, it is dark, dreary, and rainy here today, so that makes it easier to sleep in. My bedroom faces east, so on a sunny day, the sun comes right in there in the morning.

The topper is very cushy. There is only a slight tingling in my right hand this morning. Some mornings lately I was waking up with both hands asleep. (I sometimes have that problem anyway, regardless of what I'm sleeping on, so by itself that might not indicate much. But waking up not-numb is always a good thing.)

The main question about this topper is whether those latex "noodles" will provide enough support -- and I'm not sure yet. I have just the tiniest, teensiest, hardly-worth-mentioning twinge in my lower back this morning -- which would indicate a lack of support. But we'll see how this goes for a few more nights.

I believe I have 30 days to return the topper to Bon-Ton. The invoice has instructions and a mailing label for shipping it back, but I'm pretty sure I can just bring it to a local Bon-Ton store.

For anyone who has a back injury that requires them to sleep on a fairly firm mattress, my guess is that this topper won't work for you. (Although maybe that would depend partly on height & weight; I'm rather average in that department, but tending toward the lightweight side.) Like I said, this is only the first night's report -- but this topper is super-cushy and might be best for side sleepers who need that extra bit of stuff to sink into.

-Catherine

Recent Posts