DIY Mattress: Any advice or Suggestions?
Jan 21, 2012 5:03 PM
Hello,

Just starting to make my DYI Latex / foam mattress.  I just have a 8 inch full zippered Bamboo cover from SLB.   The cover is beautifully made.  Also have 3 inches of Med / Firm Dunlop Topper (28-30ILD) from Sleepwarehouse.com .  I like the firmness and may use it as a mid layer or bottom layer.  Going to try out this topper on my existing bed  to see how I like the firmness.   FYI, Iam 150lbs and primarily a side sleeper.

Any suggestions or recommendations on next layers?

I was thinking of getting 2 inches of firm Dunlop for bottom, use the exisitn 3 inches for mid and than adding 2 inches or 3 inches of Sensus or Aerus memory foam.  Another option is an inch or 2 of Talalaya (medium or firm) on top of Dunlop and than other 3 inches of Dunlop.

Thankyou for replying.

This message was modified Jan 22, 2012 by johnnydm
Re: DIY Mattress: Any advice or Suggestions?
Reply #6 Jan 22, 2012 8:54 PM
At 43 percent less than the 100 percent Natural product listed at SLAB I'm not surprised or even disappointed to know this is the LI TalaTech blend.  It is disconcerting how opaque the manufacturers and resellers are with this information. 

I would expect a small shop like Overnight to do better by appealing to the informed DIY latex consumer instead of trying to be the online version of Big Bill's Mattress Emporium.  I just ordered the topper last night but will report back in a week or two after giving it a ride.

February 8, 2012 update:

My "overnight" mattress became "almost a month" mattress.  The LI 3" latex topper (19 ILD) is apparently backordered at overnightmattress.com; they said it would it probably ship next week but I cancelled the order.  The gentleman I spoke to on the phone was pleasant but it had been two weeks and not even an email to update me on the status (my credit card was charged immediately of course.)

I'm considering the Rejuvenite 3" topper at Arizona Premium instead.  It's the same thing with a nice cover for $18 more.  I don't really need the cover but it might be nice under my thin Protect-A-Bed mattress protector.

This message was modified Feb 8, 2012 by SleepLikeADog

Recent Posts