DIY Mattress: Any advice or Suggestions?
Jan 21, 2012 5:03 PM
Hello,

Just starting to make my DYI Latex / foam mattress.  I just have a 8 inch full zippered Bamboo cover from SLB.   The cover is beautifully made.  Also have 3 inches of Med / Firm Dunlop Topper (28-30ILD) from Sleepwarehouse.com .  I like the firmness and may use it as a mid layer or bottom layer.  Going to try out this topper on my existing bed  to see how I like the firmness.   FYI, Iam 150lbs and primarily a side sleeper.

Any suggestions or recommendations on next layers?

I was thinking of getting 2 inches of firm Dunlop for bottom, use the exisitn 3 inches for mid and than adding 2 inches or 3 inches of Sensus or Aerus memory foam.  Another option is an inch or 2 of Talalaya (medium or firm) on top of Dunlop and than other 3 inches of Dunlop.

Thankyou for replying.

This message was modified Jan 22, 2012 by johnnydm
Re: DYI Mattress: Any advice or Suggestions?
Reply #1 Jan 21, 2012 11:43 PM

To fill out that fancy bamboo cover I like your idea of 2 inches firm Dunlop on the bottom, but then you have to decide between visco foam and latex for the comfort layer.  As a side sleeper the challenge is to fill in those gaps so you're both cradled and supported, 3 inches is probably the minimum to achieve that. 

Overnight Mattress has 3 inch all natural talalay toppers from Latex International available in 14, 19 and 24 ILD (and 3 firmer levels not appropriate for a comfort layer.)  You don't say if you prefer firm or plush so choose accordingly. I just ordered a 19 ILD as a comfort layer in a queen and used coupon code END10 to save 10 percent (it expires in 48 hours.) 

I think the top 3 or 4 inches of any DIY latex mattress is the most critical to comfort.  Overnight also has some decent memory foam toppers, hit the "Item Details" tab on that page for the full story.  One of the big deals with Overnight is their 120 day return policy but note that memory foam toppers incur a 20 percent "return processing" fee. 

Reply #2 Jan 22, 2012 12:30 AM
Thanks Sleeplikadog for that advice.  I was thinking of going for the 24ILD or even 19 ILD Overnightmattress Talalaya.   That 10% deal seems to go on for awhile.  I like a medium to firm feel and have been sleeping on a memory foam topper for last few years.   Like the feel and support of memory foam however have'nt slept on soft latex (Talalaya) yet.  Would love to hear back how you like the 19ILD topper.
Reply #3 Jan 22, 2012 9:57 AM
SleepLikeADog wrote:

Overnight Mattress has 3 inch all natural talalay toppers from Latex International available in 14, 19 and 24 ILD (and 3 firmer levels not appropriate for a comfort layer.)  ....

The description on that OM topper page says "all-natural," but I think that is misleading. The ILDs of those toppers match those of the Talatech (blended latex) sold by Latex International, and the PDF showing the Oeko-Tex certification says "Talatech."

The ILDs of the natural Talalay latex produced by LI are designated differently. On SLAB's website, they are given as N2 (soft 20 ILD - 24.99 ILD), N3 (medium 25 ILD - 29.99 ILD), N4 (firm 30 ILD - 34.99 ILD), and N5 (extra firm 35 ILD - 41.99 ILD).

Talatech is a good product, but it is a blend of natural and synthetic rubber (I don't know the proportions of each).

Just mentioning this because I think people need to know what they're buying, and some retailers do not make it easy.

This message was modified Jan 22, 2012 by Catherine
Reply #4 Jan 22, 2012 11:00 AM
Catherine wrote:

The description on that OM topper page says "all-natural," but I think that is misleading. The ILDs of those toppers match those of the Talatech (blended latex) sold by Latex International, and the PDF showing the Oeko-Tex certification says "Talatech."

The ILDs of the natural Talalay latex produced by LI are designated differently. On SLAB's website, they are given as N2 (soft 20 ILD - 24.99 ILD), N3 (medium 25 ILD - 29.99 ILD), N4 (firm 30 ILD - 34.99 ILD), and N5 (extra firm 35 ILD - 41.99 ILD).

Talatech is a good product, but it is a blend of natural and synthetic rubber (I don't know the proportions of each).

Just mentioning this because I think people need to know what they're buying, and some retailers do not make it easy.

I totally agree it should not be labeled all natural.

FWIW, LI uses the term 'Talatech' for both products. They use Talatech Natural when referring to their 100% latex non blended version. If refering to their 30/70 blended product, they just call it Talatech.

Reply #5 Jan 22, 2012 11:03 AM
megalops wrote:

FWIW, LI uses the term 'Talatech' for both products. They use Talatech Natural when referring to their 100% latex non blended version. If refering to their 30/70 blended product, they just call it Talatech.

Thanks. Yeah, I just now figured that out, as you'll see in a rather lengthy post in tjstogner's thread. I was figuring things out as I wrote it, and then saw your post here.

This message was modified Jan 22, 2012 by Catherine
Re: DIY Mattress: Any advice or Suggestions?
Reply #6 Jan 22, 2012 8:54 PM
At 43 percent less than the 100 percent Natural product listed at SLAB I'm not surprised or even disappointed to know this is the LI TalaTech blend.  It is disconcerting how opaque the manufacturers and resellers are with this information. 

I would expect a small shop like Overnight to do better by appealing to the informed DIY latex consumer instead of trying to be the online version of Big Bill's Mattress Emporium.  I just ordered the topper last night but will report back in a week or two after giving it a ride.

February 8, 2012 update:

My "overnight" mattress became "almost a month" mattress.  The LI 3" latex topper (19 ILD) is apparently backordered at overnightmattress.com; they said it would it probably ship next week but I cancelled the order.  The gentleman I spoke to on the phone was pleasant but it had been two weeks and not even an email to update me on the status (my credit card was charged immediately of course.)

I'm considering the Rejuvenite 3" topper at Arizona Premium instead.  It's the same thing with a nice cover for $18 more.  I don't really need the cover but it might be nice under my thin Protect-A-Bed mattress protector.

This message was modified Feb 8, 2012 by SleepLikeADog

Recent Posts