Costco Nature's Caress 12" Latex
Jun 28, 2011 11:35 PM
I am planning on buying a new bed with adjustable base.  Costco is selling a latex bed that is described as Talalay latex, dual sided (medium firm/plush comfort) with the following layers:  1" super soft foam, 2" 24 ILD Latex, 6" 32 ILD Latex, 2" 40 ILD, 7/8" firm foam.  Price is $4500 for the 'king' adjustable which is actually 2 XL twins on a Leggett and Platt S-Cape base.  Does anyone have any knowledge about this mattress?  It is difficult to make a purchase like this without having the opportunity to lie on the bed.  

The other mattresses we are considering are the Dr Breus.  The Simmons Comforpedic Phenom. And the Pure Latex Bliss.  These were all at Sleepy's, and we chose the middle of the line in each of these 3.  My concerns about an all latex bed is that there seems to be very little edge support when you lie close to the edge of the bed or sit on the edge to put on shoes - at least that was how the Bliss felt.  

Your input is appreciated.

Re: Costco Nature's Caress 12" Latex
Reply #8 Jul 2, 2011 1:46 AM
I personally could not find the ILD numbers for the Bliss. The salesman at a Sleepys claimed that the 2 latex layers combined to make a 36 ILD, but I doubt he really knew what he was talking about.  They are described as a 4" layer and a 6" layer - but of what I don't know.  By the way, the same salesman told me that the ILD ratings have the lower numbers as the firmest latex.  My understanding is the opposite, so I wouldn't believe a thing he says.  Truthfully, not one Sleepys salesman seemed to get anything correct!
Reply #9 Jul 2, 2011 6:18 PM
We bought a similar set up for a the same price from Custom Sleep Design but with the newer top of the line adjustable called Prodigy.  11 inch latex mattress (not including the inch or so from the wool in the cover).  The mattresses zip open, and CSD will do comfort exchanges until you are happy.  I finally got round to doing a review if you look at the new posts but a  warning: it's long as I go into my history etc.  Skip to the end if you're interested in the bed we bought only.  As far as the ILD of the latex in the bed you're looking at, it sounds like a good medium firmness that most people would find comfortable.  People are very different though, which is why the ones that have the flexibility of comfort exchanges are popular, and if you can get that for the same price, I would consider it a no brainer.  But then again, I hear Costco is great with returns etc.  I don't think that small amount of PU foam is a major problem, but it would have been much better if they'd have used a 14-19 ild latex instead.  Indentations while hardly desirable are probably tolerable at only an inch or so deep.  My choice for the same price would still be the better product.
Reply #10 Jul 4, 2011 11:44 PM
Budgy - The Costco L&P base is the S-Cape with the DC Whisper Quiet motor.  This one is rated for 450#, not the higher 600 per twin, but that is fine with me.  We are small people (125lbs, 155 lbs), and the quieter motor is our top priority. 

I have continued my search, and have dealt with even more misinformed Sleepys sales people.  They are the predominant force around here, so it is hard to find much else except the limited selection and knowledge in the department stores.  It's really too bad about the Dr. Breus and all the negative comments - that bed, in the Monogram Gold, was REALLY comfortable.

Reply #11 Jul 5, 2011 11:51 AM
garyfam wrote:

Budgy - The Costco L&P base is the S-Cape with the DC Whisper Quiet motor.  This one is rated for 450#, not the higher 600 per twin, but that is fine with me.  We are small people (125lbs, 155 lbs), and the quieter motor is our top priority. 

I have continued my search, and have dealt with even more misinformed Sleepys sales people.  They are the predominant force around here, so it is hard to find much else except the limited selection and knowledge in the department stores.  It's really too bad about the Dr. Breus and all the negative comments - that bed, in the Monogram Gold, was REALLY comfortable.

Sounds like this is the right base to use, the higher lift capacity one does have a very loud motor (until you are @ the Prodigy base and then its nice and quiet again).

Reply #12 Jul 5, 2011 12:19 PM
garyfam wrote:

I personally could not find the ILD numbers for the Bliss. The salesman at a Sleepys claimed that the 2 latex layers combined to make a 36 ILD, but I doubt he really knew what he was talking about.  They are described as a 4" layer and a 6" layer - but of what I don't know.  By the way, the same salesman told me that the ILD ratings have the lower numbers as the firmest latex.  My understanding is the opposite, so I wouldn't believe a thing he says.  Truthfully, not one Sleepys salesman seemed to get anything correct!

Yes, Bliss ILDs are tough to find - but early on in my research I did find some at this site. All the other specs match up and from trying out mattresses in-store, I believe these are accurate.

Other specifications I can verify:

• Usefulness of a Sleepys salesman: 0.
  • Product knowledge of a Sleepys salesman: 0.
  • Trustworthiness of a Sleepys salesman: 0.

smiley

No offense to any Sleepys salesmen out there, but it is amazing how consistent they are - I have four different stores in my area and while some are more fun to talk to, when it comes to real questions about a mattress, they are all the same! Another reason to love this forum.

Reply #13 Jul 5, 2011 2:56 PM
Don't worry about edge support.  It's an unnecessary feature that increases the price.  I have a latex/memory foam matress with no edge support and can sleep right on the edge with no problem.

Recent Posts