Convoluted Latex Foam Mattress Topper to fight hot spots? - inviting comments
Mar 14, 2009 11:25 AM
Not sure where to post this...

Does anyone here sleep on a convoluted Latex Mattress Topper?

I can't do Tempur-pedic - as I feel like it reflects too much heat back in spots and it wakes me up in the night. I don't feel too warm anywhere else, just in those hot spots - but I have to move to a cool spot and that goes on every little bit.

Had a plush Serta Blissful Dream II from Great Indoors with convoluted latex and something else called Kool Komfort foam that I loved - but after 18 months it sagged and got impressions that were permanent.

A high-end Sterns & Foster with individually wrapped coils felt like it built up heat and reflected it back - just in the spot where my shoulders and back are.

I have also tried sleeping on a totally organic wool mattress topper (hot spots there too).

So - it's a dilemma.

Foam made out of petroleum ends up feeling like sleeping on plastic (to me).

If I ever go to a hotel with one of those protective pads (synthetic?) under the mattress pad, it feels like plastic and I can't sleep on it.

So I'm looking for something that feels "breathable" and does not do the heat-reflecting thing.

I use a 100% cotton mattress pad and 100% cotton jersey sheets. I like the feel of egg-crate or convoluted. If I can just get the breathable thing figured out, I'll be fine.

Comments welcome. Thanks in advance.

This message was modified Mar 14, 2009 by BedSaga
Re: Convoluted Latex Foam Mattress Topper to fight hot spots? - inviting comments
Reply #10 Mar 21, 2009 6:16 PM
Phalse wrote:
I understand these hot spots build up in the mattress under you BUT I notice this effect when I use a down comforter.

It also seems random and tied to stress, sometimes I just dont sleep well and notice hot flashes, I almost always have my heavy comforter on when I notice this.

What sheets, comforter do you use?

Have you tried bamboo or synthetic wicking sheets or mattress pad?

For underneath you, goretex makes a really nice cooling/wicking pad

http://www.innstyle.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=1063

I think coolmax is based in europe which is why you see many "cool max" variations of pads sold by the Euro not the dollar, while in the US you only see 1 or 2 cool max pad variations. I have a feeling gore-tex is pretty much the same material as cool max but is based in the US. Gore-tex has its own mattress pad but other brands use gore-tex materials and are cheaper then the name brand gore-tex pad, like sealy bed armor.

Interesting comments ....

We sleep with 100% cotton mattress pad, 100% cotton jersey sheets (also called t-shirt sheets), one very thin cotton blanket and a down "blanket" which is MUCH thinner than a down comforter.  My husband never needs more than this, and sometimes throws off the down blanket.  I'm just right with this, or if it is cold, I add a hand-crocheted throw that is a "large weave" on my side.

A down comforter was too hot, even in winter. It would feel great at first, but I would wake up too hot.  The switch to the down blanket has been just right.  I got the down blanket at Penney's a few years ago, but to my knowledge they have not stocked them in the store lately.  I have not checked the catalog.  I did notice a down blanket at Costco the other day.  It's easy to "make the bed" with a down blanket.

My issue does not seem to be hot flashes or any kind of moisture or perspiration.  So I don't know if I need any "wicking" so to speak.  I don't usually feel hot except for the hot spots where the heat is being reflected back to my shoulders and back (or hip if side sleeping) from a mattress.  This is really bad if I ever stay at a hotel that has those protective pads under the mattress pad.  Feels like sleeping on lava or something!  It also happens with memory foam, which is unfortunate, because otherwise I think I'd be very happy with the "feel" or "comfort" of memory foam.

Interesting question about bamboo. Is it at all like synthetics? I know that I can't seem to wear the clothing that is made of "Modal" or "Viscose" these days.  Even 50% Viscose.  Just not breathable enough.  "Breathable" is the only word I can figure out to describe this.
Re: Convoluted Latex Foam Mattress Topper to fight hot spots? - inviting comments
Reply #11 Mar 26, 2009 7:24 PM
Hi - here's an update

Received the convoluted latex mattress topper - dunlop enveloped with 100% organic cotton over 100% organic wool construction covering. 

Seems pretty good.  So far I have not felt the hot spots.  It felt a little warm in the morning, but it was an "even" sort of warmness, not the hot spots that wake me up in the middle of the night.  Added a 100% cotton mattress pad between the topper and the sheet and I think it helped.

Funny, I can't tell which side is convoluted.  At least it's not very dramatic; not like the feel of an eggshell shape. 

This is currently over a makeshift bed (mattress over foam pad) on the floor.  Now that I think we'll be keeping this topper, we have a bed two floors down that we can bring up - but it will take some work to do that.

Thanks everyone for comments!
Reply #12 Mar 29, 2009 9:12 PM
Convoluted latex topper sounds interesting...how thick is it, do you know the density, and where did you get it?  I'm thinking about replacing the 4" of foam in the top of my mattress with some combination of latex/venus memory foam...I think 4" altogether.  I did not like a latex topper we had in the past as it was very boingy...but I believe latex is different types and feels...
Thanks,
Kait
Reply #13 Mar 31, 2009 4:01 PM
Hi there

Here's where I ended up:

http://greenmattresses.com/mattress-toppers.htm

Funny, with the covering on it and the wool sewn into the cotton cover, I'm having a hard time telling what's convoluted.  This cover is not zippered, so I can't peak inside.

Seems comfortable, nevertheless - but your mileage may vary.

I think the one we got is described as Dunlop medium - but I didn't know much about the numbers (ILD ?) back then.  Also, they said that it being convoluted softens it up some compared to the same thing without the convoluted shape.

I know that I like things that feel pretty soft, plush, or whatever.  I now know after going to a showroom that if ever I got latex slabs, I would want super-soft Talalay ILD 22 over super-soft Talalay 22.  Or softer! :)

Hope it helps.

Kindest regards

Recent Posts