Can one of you old timers here help me out - you wrote me...
Aug 14, 2009 8:07 PM
One of you guys wrote me some time back - in a post, not a message - something about how you would have recommended that I use springs under my foam. I did not bookmark that post and now I can't find it via the Search.

After sleeping on foam for the past year or so, with no springs, I am now convinced that I probably do need springs.

Just to update you, I bought an "M-grade" foam mattress from overnightmattress.com and slept on it for 4 months or so and returned it. For awhile it gave me the best sleep I had for ages, but then it seemed to "soften up" too much as foam tends to do. In fact, now that I mention that, someone here also mentioned to me their theory that it does not break down as one thinks. but rather... something or other, which I can't recall... if you are here and could repeat that theory it would be helpful...

Anyway, I returned the M-Grade mattress in part because it had the memory foam glued to one side and THAT was too soft right away so I turned it over, but I think having it even on the bottom made the M-grade core eventually too soft. If I were to do it over, I'd buy JUST the M-Grade foam CORE, in a 6" thickness ( the one I had was 6" but 1-2" of it was the memory foam).

So after returning that I went back to HR foam of various thicknesses in zoned configurations and kept changing it up, and adding both venus and sensus foams on top or with a 1" latex piece in between. The combo of that ALMOST works for me, but I now believe I need to go back to having a spring base underneath it all.

So what I want to do now is buy the cheapest good springs I  can find. Anyone know what that might consist of? I had Sealy springs before and I believe they were broken-down by the time I threw them out (less than 5 years of use). I want to just buy the cheapest mattress I can find that has good springs and then dissect it and put my own foams on top.

Any suggestions on which springs? or what type/guage I should use? I may end up just looking for a not-too-used mattress for sale and then tear it up and use that, but I'm a little freaked out by using a used mattress so ... would rather have a new one if I can find one cheap enough but still with good springs.
Re: Can one of you old timers here help me out - you wrote me...
Reply #16 Aug 26, 2009 7:17 PM
jankdc wrote:
Jim, it looks like you have it under control. Have you laid on the mattress at all? how much foam is in there? I wouldn't worry too much about the difference in guage if it the mattress feels good and there isn't too much foam in it. If you decide to do surgery on it, go will a small amount of foam (1-2") at first then build it up from there. I went with the legacy because it was the most comfortable. the orthopedic extra firm was good also.  Keep us updated.

Hi, I had a helluva time finding out the info on Englander mattresses. Pretty screwed up company it seems to me. But all I care about is their springs so I'm willing to deal with them anyway. (But see my soon-to-come RANT re mattress salespeople in this forum!)

I'm a person who can't tell jack about a mattress by laying on it. A mattress can feel great to me by laying on it for even an hour or more, but once I get into the 5th or 6th hour, that's when the truth comes out. Or, actually, I've even had mattresses I loved for the first few days or even a month, only to have it break in and become too soft after a month. So laying on it is not really necessary for me. More so because I will ALMOST CERTAINLY dissect it and add my own foam within a year, or perhaps within a month.

So basically I am buying it based on the spings. I remember when I slept on that Englander I really liked at the Venetian hotel that it had 12.5 guage springs, so I'm buying this based solely on the guage and make of the springs. They're Bonnells, and they're 12.5 gauge and they're inexpensive. That's all I really need to know!

As to the foam inside: WAY TOO MUCH!!! The "Malibu Plush" model (I'm buying the firm model but don't have specs on that one) has 6" of cheap PU foam inside!! Jeesh! No wonder I read so many reports of people's backs hurting with their Englander after only a week or a month or a year. What is Englander (and all the other companies, most of whom are just as bad) thinking?

I think since the advent of Tempurpedic mass marketing, people have tried that and it feels so awesome (for 5-15 minutes! ) that they now want to go to a real mattress store and experience the same "aahhh!" feeling, giving no thought and having no knowledge of the matter of support. So... all the mattress companies are adding a bunch of foam to try and make it have that "aaahhh!" feeling for the 5 minute test drive.

That's why I can be 90% certain that I'll be dissecting this new mattress within a month or two, and adding my own foam layers. Yes, I think if you've got good springs, the minimum amount of high quality foam you add, the better off you are.

Thanks for the tip!
Reply #17 Aug 26, 2009 8:22 PM
Glad you found a mattress you can work with!

As i'm not very familiar with mattress surgery, when you say that i should keep the springs, do you mean extract them from the mattress? Is that easy to do? Or do you mean keep the whole mattress?
Reply #18 Aug 26, 2009 8:51 PM
I would store it as a whole mattress to keep it clean inside. Then, should you need it, (like if your new bed becomes uncomfortable) you can dissect it and take out the old foam and put in new, quality foam on top.
First of all, what kind of mattress are you buying now? Is it a pure foam or a foam and springs? What kind of springs?
If the new one has good springs then no need to keep the old one, though I probably would anyway, you could use it for company.

Look up "mattress surgery" on this site. There are many posts about it. It's really easy. You take a knife and cut around 3 edges of the mattress, take out all the foam, then put pieces of the foam you like (quality foam like HR or latex) and voila! you have a good quality mattress! (as long as the springs are good quality and not shot)

Recent Posts