Can one of you old timers here help me out - you wrote me...
Aug 14, 2009 8:07 PM
One of you guys wrote me some time back - in a post, not a message - something about how you would have recommended that I use springs under my foam. I did not bookmark that post and now I can't find it via the Search.

After sleeping on foam for the past year or so, with no springs, I am now convinced that I probably do need springs.

Just to update you, I bought an "M-grade" foam mattress from overnightmattress.com and slept on it for 4 months or so and returned it. For awhile it gave me the best sleep I had for ages, but then it seemed to "soften up" too much as foam tends to do. In fact, now that I mention that, someone here also mentioned to me their theory that it does not break down as one thinks. but rather... something or other, which I can't recall... if you are here and could repeat that theory it would be helpful...

Anyway, I returned the M-Grade mattress in part because it had the memory foam glued to one side and THAT was too soft right away so I turned it over, but I think having it even on the bottom made the M-grade core eventually too soft. If I were to do it over, I'd buy JUST the M-Grade foam CORE, in a 6" thickness ( the one I had was 6" but 1-2" of it was the memory foam).

So after returning that I went back to HR foam of various thicknesses in zoned configurations and kept changing it up, and adding both venus and sensus foams on top or with a 1" latex piece in between. The combo of that ALMOST works for me, but I now believe I need to go back to having a spring base underneath it all.

So what I want to do now is buy the cheapest good springs I  can find. Anyone know what that might consist of? I had Sealy springs before and I believe they were broken-down by the time I threw them out (less than 5 years of use). I want to just buy the cheapest mattress I can find that has good springs and then dissect it and put my own foams on top.

Any suggestions on which springs? or what type/guage I should use? I may end up just looking for a not-too-used mattress for sale and then tear it up and use that, but I'm a little freaked out by using a used mattress so ... would rather have a new one if I can find one cheap enough but still with good springs.

Recent Posts