Can anyone recommend a good experience of 2" Sensus on a firm coil mattress?
Aug 31, 2010 6:23 PM
Hi folks,

I am wondering if I need to give 2 inches of sensus on top of firm mattress a try.  Has anyone bought 2" toppers from either overstock... foambymail.... or someone else that you are really happy with for some length of time?  On top of a firm mattress?  I tend to see comments that folks love MF or tempur beds for a (short) while and then either the product or the body... "fails."

Over the past couple of years, I have tried mostly latex from 1" to 6 inches in combos of 1" and 2 inch layers, and feel that the push back is not accomodating my spine.  I did include 1 " of "eco green latex 4 lb memory foam.. which I have folded to test 2 inches, and a 1 inch sensus 5 slb piece.. both from overstock.  The "sensus" one inch did not accommodate much... felt firmer than the 2 inch sensus I tried several years ago.  The two layers of 1 inch sensus did not feel anything like the 2 inch slab previously.  the 2 inch was firm but accommodating.. but the new stuff was just "firm". 

The only thing I can half sleep on right now is 1 inch, 4 lb memory over 1 inch of either 14 or 20 ILD latex.. over that rock hard mattress.  However, the 4 lb starts out feeling great.. but by the time I wake up in the morning.. it seems to have gone flat like an air mattress. 

But earlier in my quest, a few years ago I tried 2 inches of Sensus on an older softer pillowtop mattress, and for about a month it felt like a great improvement.  Then it got warm.. I got hot... and I started not liking the being in a hole.. hard to turn (I am a flipper).... etc.  The problem could be the lack of support of the memory foam slab.. and I am (probably dreaming) that 2" on very firm bed (now) might work?

They say you are crazy when you do the same things that didn't work (try another 2 inch mem foam) and expect a different outcome.

I am telling myself it is different ( 2 inch piece, maybe different supplier.. and the physics of single piece) but am I just crazy to think of this?

I am not Thomas Edison and am tiring of the 10,000 failures.

Thanks, shovel99

Re: Can anyone recommend a good experience of 2" Sensus on a firm coil mattress?
Reply #1 Aug 31, 2010 10:42 PM
We have the 3" Pure Comfort MF topper from Costco, 14 ILD, on a medium-firm PU foam core on our guest bed and it feels great (hubby has taken to sleeping there when restless).  So, we decided to get the same topper for our lake bed which is an old Lady Americana continuous coil firm bed with a thin pillow top.  This time the topper feels like mush - way too soft.  So, is there an actual difference in the two toppers, or does putting one on top of even just a little bit of pillowtop vs. straight foam core make the difference?  I'm with you - just all very confusing to understand how different layers interact.  Sorry, no answers here, just sympathy!
Re: Can anyone recommend a good experience of 2" Sensus on a firm coil mattress?
Reply #2 Aug 31, 2010 10:47 PM
Forgot to mention my other experiment on our twin other guest bed.  3" of 10 IFD, 3 lb. MF topper on top of a medium pocket coil mattress - completely sucks.  No pressure points but no support under the ribcage whatsoever.  At least there is a little support from the Pure Comfort at the lake, and a lot of support from the Pure Comfort on the foam bed.  Just in case you weren't confused enough already devil
Reply #3 Aug 31, 2010 11:21 PM
Diane,

Thanks so much.  I will look at Costco.  Did you ;pick up locally or buy online with delivery?  Mind my asking how much?

What you describe makes absolute sense: works on the med firm base but not the pillow top... even firm mattress.  3 inches of topper should be all the comfort layer you need, and anything under that should be firm.. and "medium firm" fills that bill also.

I bought 1 inch sheets  of "medium" HD 36 and "supersoft' as described by foamdistributing.com and the 36 was pretty much "rock hard" and "super soft" was more like medium.

Even "firm" mattresses can have a couple of inches of "comfort layer" and if it is also a pillow top... some more.. so the topper on top of that is likely sagging into the comfort layer of that mattress.

Let me make 2 suggestions:  first, go to foamdistributing.com and order a one inch piece of HD 36 one inch foam .. the firmest they make.. and put it under your topper.  It will act almost like a bridge or board.  You will have to trim slightly to your mattress size.  It's easy.  Only $40.  Do that without "surgery."

Here:  http://www.foamdistributing.com/products/hd36-hq.html

If that doesn't work, some members of this forum have done "mattress surgery"... fancy words for cutting the bad cheap foam off the top of an existing mattress (the pillow top and whatever other foam layers between top and springs).. and just plunking your own layers on top.  Since you know you like the topper... and that it works elsewhere on a firm base.... I would recommend that in a heartbeat.  You will need a piece of firm  base foam like the 36 HD to go on top of the springs anyway, but if you are doing surgery, you may want a thicker block than the 1" I suggested, for a few more bucks.

One topper I bought from Overstock.com was called a rejuvenator by serta, I believe.  It had a 2.5 inch block of firm base foam and 1.5 inches of 4 lb memory foam.  The block base "bridged" a fairly soft S&F plush mattress I had at the time.. the first topper I found to provide that bridging capability.  The 4 lb was too soft for me, though.

Thirdly, the stuff isn't terribly expensive.. selll your mattress and buy a thick block of foam and cover, if you don't want to do the surgery?

Anyway, thanks again.

shovel99

Reply #4 Sep 1, 2010 12:14 AM
Forgot to mention what we ended up doing at the lake.  We took an old fitted cotton/poly mattress pad that had been accidently shrunk in a hot wash and managed, after 2 broken fingernails, to get its skirt over the topper and mattress.  This ended up firming up the feel of the topper so that the bed is actually comfortable for a couple of nights as long as we don't linger in bed more than 8 hours.  As for the "experimental" twin at home, I'm not sure what direction I'm going with it.  I'm starting to think I need to chuck the medium pocket coil base and start all over with either latex or foam, but that's another project for another day.  My aim with the twin is to find the "prototype" for a new king.  What fun...

We got the Pure Comforts at our local warehouse at a price that was about $15 less than online, so if I recall correctly about $150 Cdn.

Reply #5 Sep 1, 2010 12:25 AM
For several years I used 2" of Costco (not sure what brand) memory foam over a pretty firm mattress.  It was okay, although a bit of bottoming out through the memory foam to the mattress.   Better than the mattress by itself though.  Unfortunately, Costco only seems to sell 3" now.

I have 1" of Sensus from overstock, and it is 5lb. density.  It is more dense and supportive than 1" of their 4lb. mem-cool.  I would say that it does not breathe as well as some of the other "cooler" memory foams or latex, so it can sleep warmer.  I think that you have already experienced that.

I am not convinced that the 2" slap would feel that different than 2 1" pieces, however I can't say that I ever did a side by side comparison.   It is possible that they have changed the manufacture process over the years or the Overstock is made by someone else.   I am pretty sure that Foamex does not actually make the Overstock (I think they may have licensed it out to another company).   So,  the 2" you tried may have been better quality.   If so, I would not buy 2" from Overstock but from a place that says it is made by Foamex.

I think if you go over 2" of memory foam, then it can quickly get too soft for a sensitive back.   Personally I think your are better off using a some latex and maybe 1 or 2" of memory foam. 

Reply #6 Sep 1, 2010 12:46 AM
Thanks Sandman.

While poking around, I found a "hybrid" latex memory foam at walmart.com.. supposedly pretty dense and 4 users... all 5 stars.

Who knows?  Convoluted top.. may be just the thing on top of the 20 ILD and maybe 14 ILD. or some variation.

Thomas Edison.  Shooting for 10,001.

shovel99

Reply #7 Sep 1, 2010 1:15 AM
shovel99 wrote:

Thanks Sandman.

While poking around, I found a "hybrid" latex memory foam at walmart.com.. supposedly pretty dense and 4 users... all 5 stars.

Who knows?  Convoluted top.. may be just the thing on top of the 20 ILD and maybe 14 ILD. or some variation.

shovel99

Last time I was in Costco, they had some hybrid gel / memory foam topper.  It seemed like the gel was infused in the memory foam.  I am sort of curious to try one to see what it is like.  They don't have them on their website, and I have not been able to find any info. on it. 

Have you tried putting your 2" of latex over 1" of your firm HD foam?

Reply #8 Sep 1, 2010 11:46 AM
shovel99 wrote:

Thanks Sandman.

shovel99

Says country of origin is "imported".  I'd be concerned this might be from China.  I personally try to avoid anything from China now after the melamine issues, first in pet foods then in milk.

Reply #9 Sep 1, 2010 6:20 PM
I called Overstock, and they could not tell me who makes the Sensus memory foam.  Some other websites that sell Sensus say it is made by Foamex.  It is possible they don't want to use their name at overstock, because they are undercutting the other retailers prices.  There has been some discussion that it comes from a company called Anatomic Global, but some have also said that Foamex supplies them (so maybe they are just a wholesaler).  I think it is possible that the overstock is made by someone else than Foamex or by a different process than when you bought it earlier.  Still, it is 5lb. density and reasonably good.

There is also 5lb. Aerus memory foam around made by Foamex, but I have only found in 2.5".   It would be interesting to try, but risky if it cannot be returned.  Cheaper at Sam's club, but you need a membership.

This message was modified Sep 1, 2010 by sandman
Reply #10 Sep 2, 2010 5:16 PM
Thanks for additional input.

Costco 3" was softer density and would definitely kill my back.  I think the most memfoam I would stand would be 2".

I ordered the Hybrid latex/mem foam topper from Walmart.com and have high hopes.  I will report back.

Another rather stunning discovery for later report: I started to focus specifically on the lumbar problem I have... that a lumbar solution may be out there.

I placed a small piece of softer 1"  mem foam... maybe 8 x 36 wide.. under my lumbar section... right on top of the topper.   Felt good but could feel the transition.  Then stuck it under the 1" mem foam (4 lb).  Better, but still felt the transition.  Tried a piece of 1/2 inch poly foam from foam distrib.  Felt better yet, but "could feel the transition."

Hell, lets fold a bath towel a few times and try that!  (at most 1/4 inch!).   Amazingly... the whole area under which the towel was spread... resisted sinking into the admittedly thin, firm comfort layer of the firm Serta PS Auburn mattress!  Now recall that this is with only 1 inch of 4 lb memory foam from OS.. one of the better ones.. in 4 lb.  So the towel...  lying between the 1 inch mf topper and mattress top... made a significant, perceptible stiffening and support of the area under my lumbar area!  Calling my patent attorney now....... 

I slept on just that one inch and the towel last night... and my back felt the best it has felt in months.  I did wake with shoulder numbness because of the single inch of 4 lb.  But this was better than every other combination I have tried.

And yes, sandman... I did try all combos of 1 inch 20 & 1 inch 14 and 1 inch 4 lb memory, and 1 inch sensus memory.... including memory on the bottom.  The best until last night was   1 inch of 4 lb memory over 1 inch of 20 ILD latex.

At any rate, there can be large implications and I will report back.

shovel99

Recent Posts