Re: Boxspring Related Cancer Article
Reply #2 Jul 16, 2010 1:36 PM
I dunno...I personally think the evidence that coils are amplifying these waves is a little dodgy at best.  A few things I have always thought.... if it is the magnetism of ferrous metals that is causing these 'issues'....we live on a planet with a molten iron core, and its magnetic field is actually the major thing that shields us from all the deadly radiation of space.
Reply #3 Jul 16, 2010 2:31 PM
LOL, read the comments to that article. There is very good reason to be skeptical.
This message was modified Jul 16, 2010 by cynicaljones
Reply #4 Jul 21, 2010 5:59 PM
I would actually venture to say that if there is a correlation between cancer rates and it is related to the mattresses we use here compared to say Japan...the vast majority of people there sleep on non toxic tatami mats made of natural materials.  We mostly sleep on beds made of mostly synthetic materals made of known carcinogenic toxins.  Even this is hard to prove but I would say a more sound theory than having some close proximity to steel.
Reply #5 Jul 21, 2010 7:36 PM
budgy wrote:

I would actually venture to say that if there is a correlation between cancer rates and it is related to the mattresses we use here compared to say Japan...the vast majority of people there sleep on non toxic tatami mats made of natural materials.  We mostly sleep on beds made of mostly synthetic materals made of known carcinogenic toxins.  Even this is hard to prove but I would say a more sound theory than having some close proximity to steel.

Although, their evidence is that the cancer shows up on the left side while most people sleep on their right side (at least according to their studies).  If contact with the mattress caused cancer, then I would think more cancer would show up on the right side.  In fact, their study may have evidence that the materials in mattresses do not cause cancer?   Of course, memory foams etc. are a relatively new phenomena.

I am skeptical of their theory, but who knows.  Maybe because people tend to sleep on their right side, there is more blood there which acts as a immunity booster. 

I have also heard that people get more skin cancer on their left side do to sun exposure while driving.  That makes some sense to me.  Maybe that is what their study is picking up.

Reply #6 Jul 21, 2010 8:10 PM
probably all coincidence....but if anything your idea on sun exposure probably makes the most sense

Recent Posts