Bought a Sleep Ez but not comfortable please help!
May 10, 2012 4:32 PM
I bought a 100% natural Talalay medium topper last year to go over my horrible old firm spring mattress. A month ago, I finally upgraded to the full latex Sleep Ez bed. I purchased an additional firm and medium layers in dunlop and at first loved the mattress. I am 5'8 150 lbs and my husband is 6ft 200 lbs. For the first 10 days my back hurt so badly upon waking up I believe because I was so used to sleeping on my old wornout mattress that sunk in. After that I loved the mattress again but then started to get shoulder discomfort. I called Sleep Ez and they suggested swapping on the firm on my side for medium which I did. I felt like this setup was softer but not as supportive so to me it felt like my side was sinking in too much and making my shoulders hurt more so I switched it back. I am comfortable with the support it has now but wish I had bought the soft talalay topper instead. Will it feel better if i put the talalay in the middle and get a soft dunlop top? I also heard that soft dunlop feels almost like medium talalay. My husband is happy with his side but also prefers a more plush feel but without losing support.
Re: Bought a Sleep Ez but not comfortable please help!
Reply #1 May 10, 2012 8:23 PM
HalleysComet wrote:

I bought a 100% natural Talalay medium topper last year to go over my horrible old firm spring mattress. A month ago, I finally upgraded to the full latex Sleep Ez bed. I purchased an additional firm and medium layers in dunlop and at first loved the mattress. I am 5'8 150 lbs and my husband is 6ft 200 lbs. For the first 10 days my back hurt so badly upon waking up I believe because I was so used to sleeping on my old wornout mattress that sunk in. After that I loved the mattress again but then started to get shoulder discomfort. I called Sleep Ez and they suggested swapping on the firm on my side for medium which I did. I felt like this setup was softer but not as supportive so to me it felt like my side was sinking in too much and making my shoulders hurt more so I switched it back. I am comfortable with the support it has now but wish I had bought the soft talalay topper instead. Will it feel better if i put the talalay in the middle and get a soft dunlop top? I also heard that soft dunlop feels almost like medium talalay. My husband is happy with his side but also prefers a more plush feel but without losing support.

Keep it simple... 6" core on bottom, firm enough to support your weight and height... a good test is when lying on your stomach, it should not sag and cause your lower back to ache.  Then add a 2" topper soft enough to suit you... perhaps 1-2" more as long as it does not dilute the core support.

Dunlop tends to be denser and suited for the core; Talalay for the top or whole thing.  That said, a soft Dunlop may be just fine on top... I am short of experience with such Dunlop.

It would be good to know your layer ILD ratings.  You are both good height and weight... this suggests a firm core, more toward 44 given core range 36-44.  If a 2" soft topper is not enough... make it deeper, but preserve the core support firmness.  A 28 topper is on the firm side.

My discussion above is not so much to tell you the magic answer but to help you consider your situation and draw some conclusions based on your own experience.

GK

Reply #2 May 10, 2012 9:30 PM
According to the website, the firm layer is 38-40 and both the medium talalay and dunlop are 30-32. 
Reply #3 May 10, 2012 11:22 PM
HalleysComet wrote:

According to the website, the firm layer is 38-40 and both the medium talalay and dunlop are 30-32. 

38-40 could make a core layer, although maybe not firm enough for heavier folks.

30-32 is probably not firm enough for a core layer, and is probably too firm for the top comfort layer.

GK

Reply #4 May 11, 2012 4:11 PM
If you can trade the medium Dunlop for a soft Talalay layer, you could go on your side soft talalay/medium talalay/firm dunlop. It may be a little less support, but should have good comfort. I'm not sure for your husband because he may need the medium Dunlop for the middle layer as more support than the medium Talalay. 
Reply #5 May 11, 2012 10:34 PM
We are going to try the soft talalay top layer and see how that feels. The problem with the medium talalay is that it's not split in half...

Recent Posts