Blanket/Cover survey
Nov 17, 2010 2:06 PM
Okay, now that you all found your perfect mattress (ha ha!) what are you using as the perfect covers?   synthetics, cotton, wool, down?

Since I went with the natural latex mattress, I made the decision that I also want the rest of the bed to be as natural as possible.  In addition to a wool/cotton mattress pad, I use 100% cotton sheets and a cotton blanket during the summer months.   I have found that down comforters are TOO warm for my liking so I recently purchased a washable wool blanket from LL Bean.   I LOVE this new blanket!   It is light weight but still warm enough, very soft to the touch, and can be washed.   I ordered a king size for my queen bed to have plenty to tuck in at the bottom with a thick mattress.   

What works for you?

Re: Blanket/Cover survey
Reply #1 Nov 17, 2010 3:24 PM
Mark, we seem to be on the same track.  I stopped using a down comforter because it made me too hot. 

I have a 100% cotton coverlet from LL Bean that I use on top.  If pretty warm, I just use that.  It is fairly tight weave, so it does hold warmth in.

I have a looser weave  (and thinner) 100% cotton blanket that I add for slightly more warmth.  If really hot, and I want more than just a sheet, I will use just that blanket.

I have a washable cashmere/wool/acrylic blanket that I bought from Costco, that I will add for extra warmth when needed.  I don't know if I like the acrylic added (not sure I notice any difference), but that was the only washable one.  I think they have a cashmere/wool one that is not washable.

Beyond that I also have an electric blanket (from Costco) and a down filled blanket (Pacific Coast) that I may use in really cold weather.

I live near the ocean so I almost never use a heater at night (or A/C in summer).   Therefore, I have to constantly change my blankets around to deal with changing room temperature.  At least I am doing my part for global warming!

I also try to use as natural material as possible on top of the mattress and over me.  Mainly wool and cotton.  My main compromise was having a bit of acrylic in the washable cashmere/wool blanket, but I really like it in fall through spring.  Plus, I am not sure what the electric blanket is made of that I occassionaly use.

This message was modified Nov 17, 2010 by sandman
Reply #2 Nov 18, 2010 2:42 PM
markbnh1 wrote:

so I recently purchased a washable wool blanket from LL Bean.   I LOVE this new blanket!   It is light weight but still warm enough, very soft to the touch, and can be washed.   I ordered a king size for my queen bed to have plenty to tuck in at the bottom with a thick mattress.   

What works for you?

Mark, can you provide a link for this blanket from LL Bean?  I thought I already looked there, and not sure how soft that blanket is.  I was actually considering using it as a mattress pad if soft and somewhat flexible (not stiff).

Thanks.

Reply #4 Nov 18, 2010 6:35 PM
I could go broke trying to compare all the options that we sell, what I am doing for the time being is I have a summer weight wool duvet from Natura and a heavy weight linen blanket from Brahms Mount, I use the blanket on top of the duvet in the winter and it is warm enough (we turn down our thermostat at night a few degrees (17.5 celsius).  In the summer I am just going to use the blanket, its really heavy and yet does not make you hot at all, I would say a lot cooler than even a silk fill duvet. 

We get crazy big temperature swings here through the seasons and this will probably work well for me.  I wish I had something lighter in the winter though, the weight of the wool duvet with the blanket on top is crazy, my bro has an ultralight down duvet from St. Geneve and they are toasty warm right now with a comforter they can barely feel on top of them. 

Reply #5 Nov 18, 2010 7:46 PM
markbnh1 wrote:

Leo3, this is the blanket I purchased.   It also comes in plaid.  It's thin and soft so might make a good pad for you.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/47443?feat=1157-GN2

Hope this helps.

Thanks Mark.  Too bad they don't have an option for a swatch like Dormeir had and some wool blankets at various places.  Is there a definite "weave" that you would "feel"?  Does LL Bean ever have specials?  Guess I will google promo codes if I consider it.  I did look at this one before and couldn't get enough info from a picture.  Guess I wlll look into return policy too.

Reply #6 Nov 18, 2010 8:01 PM
Okay they have a promo for $10 gift card with $50 purchase, free shipping and 20% off.  $6.50 for returns.

It says front load wash.  Why?  I have a regular top load agitator that washed the Dormeir fine.  Did you wash it in a regular washer Mark?

Reply #7 Nov 18, 2010 10:19 PM
Leo, I just got it so I have not washed it yet.  I'll just use a regular washer when I do.  Wow, you found a 20% off deal?  That's better than I did.  I just got the free shipping and a $10. gift card.   I just used the $10. card to get a nice all wool winter hat for $9.50.   No, I don't notice any weave in this blanket....it is all smooth and soft to me.  LL Bean has one of the better return policies normally.   You can return anything, at any time for any reason.   Oh, and some of the reviews on this item talked about a "smell" from the dyes. I have not noticed any "smell" whatever.
Reply #8 Nov 19, 2010 3:42 PM
When we got our latex mattress, we got rid of the microfiber blanket (polyester) we were using and went to all cotton and wool. Heavy, 6 oz flannel sheets over the shearling mattress pad. We, too, are using the wool blanket from LL Bean. I wash everything before use, and the smell was atrocious. After 5-6 washes, it was bearable when wet and unnoticeable when dry. It is also a bit scratchy. It is warm and light. We are also using a very light down blanket with 100% cotton outer shell purchased from Target on clearance ($27.00?) - this is wonderful and perfect without the wool blanket when it is warmer. Our old down comforter was just too warm.

Recent Posts